Why become a member? ×

Accurate James Jamerson tabs any help please

thebigyin

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1481799197' post='3195195']
...learning to read is, or at least can be, a quick and easy process...
[/quote]

I've tried to learn to read twice, once during music GCSE, once during music tech Bsc. Both times I managed to figure out the rhythm fairly quickly, and I could find out which note was depicted, but it would take me a while, starting at a definite point, then counting the lines, then checking the key signature. I really want to be able to do it, and I will try again, hopefully soon, but it's definitely not "quick and easy" for a lot of people

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1481800458' post='3195212']
I I meant being too old isn't the only excuse;my combo approach comes from lack of time
[/quote]
With ya now! I do appreciate just how lacking in time a lot of people are, and most combo notation and tab does come from reputable sources. My issue is with the tab only sources that aren't accurate.
[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1481801115' post='3195231']
I've tried to learn to read twice, once during music GCSE, once during music tech Bsc. Both times I managed to figure out the rhythm fairly quickly, and I could find out which note was depicted, but it would take me a while, starting at a definite point, then counting the lines, then checking the key signature. I really want to be able to do it, and I will try again, hopefully soon, but it's definitely not "quick and easy" for a lot of people
[/quote]
I'll send you my easy to remember pneumonic, however can you clarify first, how easily offended you are, my pneumonic is definitely an adult one.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1481527479' post='3192852']
Take your little theory to all the great Professional Orchestras of the World.
I am sure you are onto something.
:)
[/quote]

you mean those Professional Cover Bands . They play 200 year old songs for years and years, and STILL need to read sheet music....lol ever heard of MEMORISING a song?

and I can read notation, I just find TAB faster for me, especially if I know the song coz the timing and rhythm I already know

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1481816096' post='3195409']
I'll send you my easy to remember pneumonic, however can you clarify first, how easily offended you are, my pneumonic is definitely an adult one.
[/quote]

Not easily offended at all but I'd rather not catch pneumonia

Two comments... JJ was massive for me as a teenager picking up the Bass and "Standing in the Shadows" is one of the few books I bought back then that still has a place on my shelves - I loved that it was pro players who did the work and took you through the pieces on the audio.

On the notation/tab debate... I'm not a sight reader by any means so Tab is my main method, but I do find Tab tends to box me in. Ie. I learn the patterns and the placements but not the reasons why it works. Secondly, I like to find my own way of interpreting a line - fingering, frets etc. that allows me to put a bit of myself into the track. So, even using Tab I find myself rewriting and adapting it.

Yup, just because the tab says to play in a certain place, I know that I can add or subtract 5 frets and play on the next string up or down, and do so instantly. Being able to convert notes from a staff to a position on the fretboard with the same efficiency that I was able to achieve on day 1 with tab takes years of practice, for which I don't have the time. Of course if I was a professional musician where I was required to sight read music I hadn't heard before, it's a no-brainer - notation all the way.

I have never "got on" with tab at all. on bass or guitar.
By the time I have counted over to which string I am on and then counted frets, it is so much easier just to read the actual note and play it.

But of course that is because I learnt to read music in secondary school and although I cant sight read any more I can still stumble around a chart and make notes in notation on baks of envelopes when necessary.
I think the tab vs standard notation is always going to be a "first love, true love" thing.

But I do wonder how people get the rhythmic structure of a song from tab.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1481896563' post='3196084']
But I do wonder how people get the rhythmic structure of a song from tab.
[/quote]

Like this. But you do end up just remembering patterns, but then I'm too old for anything else. I'd probably still be on page 10 of Ed Friedland's (excellent) course if not for this!

EDIT: This is from the Hal Leonard Motown bass book

Edited by pfretrock

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1481901594' post='3196144']
Like this. But you do end up just remembering patterns, but then I'm too old for anything else. I'd probably still be on page 10 of Ed Friedland's (excellent) course if not for this!

EDIT: This is from the Hal Leonard Motown bass book
[/quote]

So in order to get the rhythm from tab you also have to be able to read the rhythmic component of standard notation anyway! :D
Or figure it out from listening to the record, presumably....

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1482100843' post='3197701']
So in order to get the rhythm from tab you also have to be able to read the rhythmic component of standard notation anyway! :D
Or figure it out from listening to the record, presumably....
[/quote]
Learn the patterns with Tab,get the groove from the record.

Reckon that's the way most of us do it.