Why become a member? ×

Fender Japan Jazz Bass Experts Required to spot potential fake

FatFingersFlynn

HI there everyone, I'm new on hear and this is my first post. I purchased what I was told is a 1995 fender jazz bass MIJ 1960's reissue from PMT Birmingham. I'm now trying to sell it & I've been informed from a gentleman on Facebook bass selling page that the neck is not correct & that it is a squire neck on a 1960's reissue body due to he said that no Japanese fender jazz reissue has the truss rod adjustment at the headstock & also that the decal on the headstock is a watermark replacement logo. So I'm really concerned that I have been mislead to believe that this is all genuine when In fact it may not be. So I need your assistance if possible please to ascertain if this is true what I have been told as if so then I'm taking it back to PMT to request a full refund. Many thanks for your time.
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/flynnmalcolm/library/

Edited by FatFingersFlynn

I was the one that suggested advice was sought here folks.

I'm pretty much certain no 60's reissue (Japan, US, Mex) had headstock truss rod adjustment. It also looks to me that the decal is over lacquer which I thought was only early original basses or Custom Shop.

Whilst I might be wrong, I wouldn't like this to come back and bite the seller on the arse.
As he has the receipt, I'm sure PMT would do the decent thing, IF I'm correct.
Apologies if I have caused doubt where there is none.

[url="http://s50.photobucket.com/user/flynnmalcolm/media/20160921_205638_zpsmhxxvyjy.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s50.photobucket.com/user/flynnmalcolm/media/20160921_205059_zpsr1dbwsju.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s50.photobucket.com/user/flynnmalcolm/media/20160922_151219_zps7dxx5aqk.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by karlfer

For what it's worth, the trussrod adjuster on my '97/98 CIJ '60s Jazz Re-Issue is definitely at the body end, together with the matching cut-out in the scratchplate and no skunk-stripe.

I'd also have thought that the serial number should be on a "Made In Japan" sticker on the flattened section of the neck down towards the heel, not on the front of the headstock like this? Would be visible on this pic...

[url="http://s50.photobucket.com/user/flynnmalcolm/media/20160921_205404_zps64znrhxi.jpg.html?sort=3&o=13"]http://s50.photobuck...tml?sort=3&o=13[/url]

Oh, and the "Jazz Bass" bit should be a different font, with "TRADE MARK" and "ELECTRIC BASS" underneath it, and the "Offset Contour Body" logo alongside if it's truly meant to represent a '60s Jazz?

All that said, mine is CIJ rather than MIJ, but I wouldn't have thought they'd have been that different...

Edited by tony_m

I've had MIJ 62 reissues and Japanese Squiers. The truss rod adjuster on the 62 reissue, is at the body end of the neck. On the Squiers it's at the headstock end.

Serial numbers should be on the heel of the neck if it's a MIJ Jazz.. The Squiers have the serial number under the logo as your bass does. Both Squiers and MIJ reissues have the grounding strap going from the bridge to the rear pickup.

Both the Squiers and reissues are great basses . The main difference between the two is the selling price. A 90's Japanese Squier would usually go for about £250. A MIJ 60's reissue would go for about £450.

Edited by gjones

Here'a link to a recently sold one. The differences show.
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/281608-198990-fender-jazz-bass-62-reissue-mij-sold/page__p__3023548__hl__mij%2062%20jazz__fromsearch__1#entry3023548

Your body has the earthing strip which suggests 62 RI. The ONLY way to confirm this is to take the neck off. The pocket should have something like JB62 LP.
Assuming it is a 62 RI, the neck should also have an extra strap button on the back of the headstock (some call this a hootenany button I believe).

On the question of refunds, well, caveat emptor, BUT, PMT have a lot more to lose than you so I would personally be pleasant but very firm with them.

I would go down the route of suggesting it's a Japanese fender Jazz, effectively their standard series.

They're made for the domestic market and they are available in all cool old fender colours.

Someone has added the grounding strip to look like a 60's model?

If you google ishibashi ubox, there are loads of them for sale usually.

Don't think the squier thing is accurate.

Looked at the headstock, it's just a Japanese made fender Jazz. Not a reissue.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1480156951' post='3182046']
I've had MIJ 62 reissues and Japanese Squiers. The truss rod adjuster on the 62 reissue, is at the body end of the neck. On the Squiers it's at the headstock end.
[/quote]

My Japanese Squier has truss rod adjustment at the heel.
I didn't think any Japanese reissues had it at the headstock.

Thanks peeps really appreciate all your help so far. So am I right in saying that someone has put a squire neck on this reissue body?
This is what my receipt says, so is this receipt misleading me when I purchased it.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/flynnmalcolm/20161128_153342_zpsi6hywjyd.jpg

Edited by FatFingersFlynn

Hi everyone just thought I'd let you know that I've been back to pmt & they are happy for me to return the bass to them & give me a full store credit up to the value of what i paid for the bass due to it not being what it was stated as I.e. classic reissue at the time of purchase & I'd like to personally thank you for all your help with this I really appreciate it :)
Now my only problem is what do I buy with the store credit or do you think I should ask for a full refund 😃

[quote name='FatFingersFlynn' timestamp='1480358573' post='3183689']
Hi everyone just thought I'd let you know that I've been back to pmt & they are happy for me to return the bass to them & give me a full store credit up to the value of what i paid for the bass due to it not being what it was stated as I.e. classic reissue at the time of purchase & I'd like to personally thank you for all your help with this I really appreciate it :)
Now my only problem is what do I buy with the store credit or do you think I should ask for a full refund
[/quote]
Get a full refund - cash is king. That leaves you free to shop around and buy what you want from where-ever you find the deal.

Not wanting to rub salt into the wound but the decal could be a waterslide.
1 - The background of the decal is milky. This is classic when the person applying it has rushed the job.
2 - MIM Fenders have a decal that goes over the whole headstock. As you can see in the pic below.

Doing it this way means that in a factory they don't have the hassle of trying to get rid of the ridge at the edge of the decal.

Good luck in finding a good, real Fender.
It's a shame really, it looks a nice bass.

A BIG WELL DONE TO PMT!!!! :drinks:

I say this because it is unlikely they have the depth of experience (especially on bass) that can be found here.
Nobody there may have even considered it wasn't what the part ex'er told them it was.
Possibly the part ex'er didn't even know.
They did the right thing.

Excellent result Mal, really pleased for you :) .

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1480362265' post='3183748']
A BIG WELL DONE TO PMT!!!! :drinks:

I say this because it is unlikely they have the depth of experience (especially on bass) that can be found here.
Nobody there may have even considered it wasn't what the part ex'er told them it was.
Possibly the part ex'er didn't even know.
They did the right thing.

Excellent result Mal, really pleased for you :) .
[/quote]

I feel for PMT. They won't have the recourse to go back to the PXer and get their money back. He was probably laughing all the way home.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1480362921' post='3183756']
I feel for PMT. They won't have the recourse to go back to the PXer and get their money back. He was probably laughing all the way home.
[/quote]

To an extent, so do I .............BUT,

They can take the hit a bit more than a private individual.
They will have gained kudos for their actions.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1480363134' post='3183761']
To an extent, so do I .............BUT,

They can take the hit a bit more than a private individual.
They will have gained kudos for their actions.
[/quote]
Totally agree. I'd feel more regret for the OP if they hadn't done the right thing.

[quote name='FatFingersFlynn' timestamp='1480358573' post='3183689']
Now my only problem is what do I buy with the store credit or do you think I should ask for a full refund
[/quote]

Store credit? Scrap that - you want your money back. They haven't got a leg to stand on.