Why become a member? ×

What strings for jazz bass...

Dutchie

Hi all,

I'm a complete beginner and don't get to post on here much but my wife was tuning up my bass and broke a string as she tightened it up too much it snapped near the tuning peg. It's an American vintage 1962 reissue.

What would be the best strings to buy for that bass, round wound or flats, I know they sound different.

Some strings have red or blue thread at the ends, what's the puropse of this?

Thanks

Depends on your taste. Flats sound different to round wounds. Nickel sounds different to stainless steel.

The thread keeps the windings together. The colour is down to the manufacturer.

Maybe buy a clip on tuner or something ? Less than £10 off Amazon.

Edited by ambient

Thanks Ambient,

I think it has sound wounds on at the moment, so I might just get those again. Should I look out for gauge, thickness?
I bought a clip on tuner, it has a guitar, bass and another setting and lights up green. I couldn't figure it out so my wife had ago and broke the string.

Anyone near Cheshunt, Herts that can offer beginners lessons, I've had the bass for nearly 2 years and can't even tune it!

[quote name='Dutchie' timestamp='1479768197' post='3179207']

Some strings have red or blue thread at the ends, what's the puropse of this?

Thanks
[/quote]

The main purpose of the thread (they're also known as 'silks' by the way) is either to identify the make/ model of string, or to convince you to change strings when they start looking frayed.

Other than that, the thread wrappings may have served a purpose a few decades ago, but I don't think they do anymore. My favourite brands of strings have no wrapping at all.

As to the best strings to replace the broken one with, my only advice is to change the whole set, all four strings , at the same time, otherwise the the new one will be noticeably brighter than the other 3.

What are the best strings?

That's a personal choice. I like DR hi beams on my Jazz, but other people will have other preferences.

The only way you will find our what you like best is by playing roundwounds/flatwounds/tapes of various brands and gauges, which, given the durability of bass strings, takes years.

Enjoy the journey.

Edited by Cato

hey mate, Jazz basses love nickel roundwounds imho

I've used D'Addario Nickel rounds 45-105 guage for over 30 years and never had a dud string.

really consistent sound from set to set.

I'd recommend them, as they can handle the bass heaviness of soloing the neck pup and the brightness needed on the bridge pickup.

It's a pretty good allrounder tone-wise

I can get deep James Jamerson tone by using the neck pickup with the tone rolled down, and Geddy Lee or Chris Squire by turning the tone knob to max, and all points in between

Edited by bazztard

[quote name='Dutchie' timestamp='1479770334' post='3179224']
Anyone near Cheshunt, Herts that can offer beginners lessons, I've had the bass for nearly 2 years and can't even tune it!
[/quote]
I live in Bishops Stortford and would be happy to get together for a chat about getting started. There are also others nearby you. Maybe you should start another thread on that question too.

[quote name='Dutchie' timestamp='1479770334' post='3179224']
[/quote]

youtube is your friend

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsV6TvOd5_Q[/media]

plenty of free lessons too, but yes, a real life teacher will be better to instill good habits with technique. Try to get a bass teacher though, guitar teachers think they know bass.....some do, some don't

and ask away on here, no question is too dumb,we all started the same way:)

Edited by bazztard

If you are going to play then you need to replace the strings, new strings transform the bass and make them more exciting to play.

Generally speaking roundwounds are what you should go for as a beginner. The big choice is between steels which are generally brighter and nickels which are more mellow. There is overlap though, not all steels and nickels sound the same. Steels tend to be rougher on your fingers and nickels hold their tone longer usually. The market leader steels (rotosound) really don't hold their tone long though some people like the tone of old strings. I'd say go for some decent nickels and see how you get on, then when the time comes to change go for some steels and then you'll know. Homing in on 'your' strings is just one of the pleasures that await you and we can all get really nerdy about it. Think of anglers discussing their favourite lures.

Edited by Phil Starr

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479792988' post='3179273']
I live in Bishops Stortford and would be happy to get together for a chat about getting started. There are also others nearby you. Maybe you should start another thread on that question too.
[/quote]

That's one of the things I really like about BC - there's always some friendly type on here offering to let someone try out their bass, amp or pedal, or someone willing to give up time to help others. What a kind offer Grangur :)

Re gauges of strings, yes, they differ in gauge - it might be best to take your broken string along to the shop with you, to compare gauges.
It is possible (well online anyway) to get single strings - maybe you can pick up a single string, so you have a whole set of spares?

Good luck with your new start on bass, and take Grangur up on his kind offer. Don't forget to look out for the next local bass-bash event near you. There you'll meet other players, who may help, advise & support you, as well as let you play with their amps etc

EDIT: If you buy a new set of strings in a different gauge, you will possibly need to set your bass up accordingly
i.e. you may need to make adjustments to the bridge, and or tweak the truss rod - please take care and read up / watch youtube videos before doing this, or better still, get some other kindly BC'er to help you out, or let a local luthier do this

Edited by Marc S

(I'm now on a PC, with a real keyboard. So there's no stopping me now!)

As a beginner you can do well to start with some straight-forward round-wounds. The "normal" gauge that most basses are made for are .105 -.045.

If you're wanting to slap and pop and stuff, then folk will often go for a lighter gauge string set. Rotosound are OK strings. They also market some economy strings called "Legacy". They're great value.
http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/bass-guitar-strings-sets-c34/legacy-4-string-nickel-roundwound-45-105-long-scale-bass-guitar-strings-p972/s1014?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=legacy-4-string-nickel-roundwound-45-105-long-scale-bass-guitar-string-legacybass45&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&keyword=&matchtype=&network=g&device=c&gclid=CjwKEAiA9s_BBRCL3ZKWsfblgS8SJACbST7DX5WwQzDFBkPusDg0qsANMr5G03hLlfog-pogKJ-O-xoCAQ3w_wcB

As Marc-S says, your bass will probably need a set up. If we meet I can do that too and show you how it's done. As Bazztard says, Youtube is your friend. A lot of these things are on Youtube.

You can also get some initial lessons online too:
www.scottsbasslessons.com
www.studybass.com

Otherwise, on Youtube, search for "Bass lessons" and you'll get loads of info. All I'd say is stear clear of the lessons that simply teach you to play one track at a time. IMHO you need to know "how to play [i]the bass[/i]" not "How to play [i]xxxx tune[/i]". So you need lessons that teach you where the notes are not simply leading you to know where to put your fingers for a track or 2.

OP...while you are waiting for a teacher, you could inquire in your local library for the book.."Bass Guitar for Dummies". Ignore the "D" word. It is a great book that covers everything you need to know to get started. From VERY basic stuff like ..."these are called the frets.." to basic theory.

As for strings, they are a personal taste. However, for now, I'd go along with Grangur's suggestion above.

Best of luck.

Edited by Coilte

A vid of a few different types. Don't be put off by the manufacturer. There are lots out there. Just to give you an idea of the tones that different strings have. Only your ears can tell you. Like Colite said Bass Guitar for Dummies is a great starting point. I learned alot from that book. http://youtu.be/kya4cl7GqzI

Edited by bubinga5

I use these on my J basses - http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_valuestrings_bassguitar_medium.htm

Stupidly cheap and really surprisingly good! I've used most other manufacturers in the past - DR, D'Addario, Fender, Lakland, Rotosound, Newtone, Picato, Ernie Ball.... but now I buy these and haven't had a single duff string. You just can't go wrong at this price! ((Nice gold silks too!) B)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1479811857' post='3179409']
I'm in London today. I have a lecture until 4, I'm free then until 7 when I catch my train home. No problem meeting up for a bit, I'll run you through changing your strings and using your tuner. PM if you want, and I'll give you my number.
[/quote]

Thanks Ambient, thats really kind of you to offer your help, I need to dash early today to get home. I really appreciate your offer.

Thanks D

[quote name='Dutchie' timestamp='1479820231' post='3179513']
Thanks so much for all your kind comments and suggestions. Today I went to Denmark St and got some D'Addario Nickel rounds 45-105, I will attempt to put them on this week. I've watched a few you tube tutorials so hopefully I can do the job.

Thanks D
[/quote]

Sounds great. Then, when you've fitted the strings, you can take a look at the series of 4 videos on setting up your bass. This is the first:

http://youtu.be/te44eWXd9pc?list=PL1Ok9_VCe0qdYo4MhAE8ecP3gzyysiiMr

If you have any questions, just post here.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1479786793' post='3179260']
hey mate, Jazz basses love nickel roundwounds imho

I've used D'Addario Nickel rounds 45-105 guage for over 30 years and never had a dud string.

really consistent sound from set to set.

I'd recommend them, as they can handle the bass heaviness of soloing the neck pup and the brightness needed on the bridge pickup.

It's a pretty good allrounder tone-wise

I can get deep James Jamerson tone by using the neck pickup with the tone rolled down, and Geddy Lee or Chris Squire by turning the tone knob to max, and all points in between
[/quote]

I got those D'Addario Nickel rounds 45-105 for £23.50 Thank you!

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1479805279' post='3179341']
That's one of the things I really like about BC - there's always some friendly type on here offering to let someone try out their bass, amp or pedal, or someone willing to give up time to help others. What a kind offer Grangur :)

Re gauges of strings, yes, they differ in gauge - it might be best to take your broken string along to the shop with you, to compare gauges.
It is possible (well online anyway) to get single strings - maybe you can pick up a single string, so you have a whole set of spares?

Good luck with your new start on bass, and take Grangur up on his kind offer. Don't forget to look out for the next local bass-bash event near you. There you'll meet other players, who may help, advise & support you, as well as let you play with their amps etc

EDIT: If you buy a new set of strings in a different gauge, you will possibly need to set your bass up accordingly
i.e. you may need to make adjustments to the bridge, and or tweak the truss rod - please take care and read up / watch youtube videos before doing this, or better still, get some other kindly BC'er to help you out, or let a local luthier do this
[/quote]

Thanks Marc, Bishops Stortford is a little too far for me, really kind of you to offer. Much appreciated!

What type of music are you planning to play?That will have a lot to do with the type of string and the gauge you choose and I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet but it would seem to be the first thing to consider.This will also affect how you set up your bass.
Ooops,just got the posting re your string purchase before I could send this,sounds like a reasonable choice though.
Have fun.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479820397' post='3179517']
Sounds great. Then, when you've fitted the strings, you can take a look at the series of 4 videos on setting up your bass. This is the first:

[url="http://youtu.be/te44eWXd9pc?list=PL1Ok9_VCe0qdYo4MhAE8ecP3gzyysiiMr"]http://youtu.be/te44...E8ecP3gzyysiiMr[/url]

If you have any questions, just post here.
[/quote]

Thanks, I saw those videos before, but I don't want to tamper with truss rod, after seeing my wife snap the string last night when tuning i realise how fragile they are!