Why become a member? ×

How to spot a fake?

eci0x

Hello!
This one guy is selling his Fender Jazz bass, which he bought in a commission shop (used guitar shop) in New Zealand two years ago. He is selling this bass for 650 dollars and he said that he bought it for 850 euros. From the serial number, which is seen in the photo below, I can tell that it has been made in USA in year 2009/2010 (the serial number is - Z9068288). My question is - how can I tell if it is a real Fender Jazz bass made in US? I'm going to try it out in a few days. Maybe you guys can tell me some things to look out for to know if it's the real deal and not a fake Bender made in China? Also, from the photo I can't really tell what exact model is this bass, maybe you can help me out with that.
Thanks ! :D

I think this is a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz with a fake decal. The pics are very small.

The tuners are cheap, US Jazz`s from 2010 have the truss rod adjuster at the body end but it has through body stringing which may have been done by someone after purchase.

Edited by jezzaboy

It can be hard to spot a fake, if the person doing them has got everything as close as possible to the original.
I don't think it's a Squier, as I'm sure they don't do an option for through body stringing, which is what this bass appears to have.
Though I could be wrong there - someone on here will know whether that is correct.....

It looks pretty much OK to me. But closely check those decals - run your finger over them, to see if they have been changed and oversprayed. Look for edges on the decals. Check the quality of the finishing on the neck binding and check for any sharp-ish edges to the frets.....
Look for quality of finish in general; check pots are smooth, check quality of nut - is it straight + routs are clean & neat.
Check pickguard screws are dead straight, and also not loose

Most of all, good luck - looks a nice bass
but of in any doubt - don't buy it.... something will come up :)

EDIT: I didn't spot the additional holes in the bridge - has the bridge been replaced? Are they holes?
Is there a close-up photo of the headstock? (Front)

EDIT2: Should this model of bass have the newer, lightweight style tuning pegs?

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1479141376' post='3174267']
The bridge is all wrong as well. It looks like someone has drilled some holes through a BBOT (bent bit of tin) bridge.

Engage reverse gear and run in the direction of away.. :D
[/quote]Walk away from that one. It's not a USA Jazz. The tuners are wrong. Standard USA Jazz basses dont have blocks. If it's a RI 75 where are the big Fender tuner bases.? If it's MIJ why is the serial number saying it's American.? It's without doubt a fake and he's trying to rip you off.

There are so many things wrong with this bass to make it a US Standard. Maybe the guy who is selling it bought it in it`s current guise (or disguise?) but there is no need for you to be taken in as well.

If you were buying this s/hand in the UK it would be worth about £140 ish if it is in good condition.

Bought my Fender Jazz MIA about 2008... predates this one any way. Don't know if it's supposed to be a std, but mine has dot markers, not blocks, a more obvious three tone sunburst... that looks like two tone... And a high mass bridge which looks very different from that one. And lightweight tuners which are not the same. (And a huge oblong flight case, but not all flight cases are original)

I doubt it's a USA body either. Alder has a wider grain than that usually, that's more likely basswood, plus the sunburst on the USA is 3-tone with a bit of red in there and has a bit more depth to it, that looks more like the cheap 2-tone burst you see on the Squier VMs. Fender on the left:

Edited by dannybuoy