Why become a member? ×

Probably far more excited than I should be but....

Painy

I've just ordered my first ever set of flats :D
I'm trying the relatively inexpensive Fender strings to begin with but hopefully they'll do the job.
I've always gone for a super bright, aggressive rock tone but the Sterling SUB Ray I got recently is doing a better job of that than my precision ever did - only some of the stuff in our set really needs something warmer and a bit more old school.
Can't wait to try 'em out now!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1478354079' post='3168571']
I just did my first rehearsal with EBMM Cobalt Flats.

Sounded brilliant this morning- loads of fundamental with a lively bite at the top. Very happy!
[/quote]

That`s good to hear as I`ve just ordered a set for my "at home bass" :)

Flats arrived yesterday. Only had a chance to play with them through my little practice amp so far but already I can see what all the fuss is about a P with flats and I'm loving the feel too - including the increased tension as it goes.
Can't wait to play through the full gigging rig at the weekend now :).

Flatwound strings are basically roundwounds which have had the surface polished off so the windings are flat and smooth. The difference in sound isn't just subjective - they produce less harmonic overtones than rounds so they tend to be less bright and zingy but that allows you to hear the fundamental of the note more strongly so they often tend to be described as more 'thumpy' sounding.

Rounds on my Ray:-

[URL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Richard_Pain/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0480_zpsq4gxxpfx.jpg.html][IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/Richard_Pain/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0480_zpsq4gxxpfx.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Flats on my P:-

[URL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Richard_Pain/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0479_zpsqoggrr7b.jpg.html][IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/Richard_Pain/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0479_zpsqoggrr7b.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1478620081' post='3170352']
Flatwound strings are basically roundwounds which have had the surface polished off so the windings are flat and smooth. The difference in sound isn't just subjective - they produce less harmonic overtones than rounds so they tend to be less bright and zingy but that allows you to hear the fundamental of the note more strongly so they often tend to be described as more 'thumpy' sounding.

[/quote]

Technically what you're describing are groundwounds.

On flat wounds the out wrap is a flat section wire, as opposed to round.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1478620698' post='3170356']

Technically what you're describing are groundwounds.

On flat wounds the out wrap is a flat section wire, as opposed to round.

[/quote]

That'll teach me to get my info from YouTube videos :lol:

That shows it nice and clearly too though, thanks.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1478606793' post='3170194']
Flats arrived yesterday. Only had a chance to play with them through my little practice amp so far but already I can see what all the fuss is about a P with flats and I'm loving the feel too - including the increased tension as it goes.
Can't wait to play through the full gigging rig at the weekend now :).
[/quote]

Excellent... stick with them until they soften up. If you're finding them a bit 'grabby' at first, give them a rub doon with a cotton t-shirt.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1478620939' post='3170360']
That'll teach me to get my info from YouTube videos :lol:

That shows it nice and clearly too though, thanks.
[/quote]

Pressure wounds are missing from it though.

Ground wounds tend to have a tone somewhere between Flats and Rounds.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1478621733' post='3170372']

Pressure wounds are missing from it though.

Ground wounds tend to have a tone somewhere between Flats and Rounds.
[/quote]

I did actually try some pressure wounds initially as I was worried I'd miss the bright, aggressive tone that I've always used too much to go fully flatwound. They did feel nice but it felt like a bit of a half hearted effort in the end.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1478620081' post='3170352']
Flatwound strings are basically roundwounds which have had the surface polished off so the windings are flat and smooth. The difference in sound isn't just subjective - they produce less harmonic overtones than rounds so they tend to be less bright and zingy but that allows you to hear the fundamental of the note more strongly so they often tend to be described as thumpy
[/quote]

Sorry again but what are harmonic overtones and what are fundamentals. I'm not trolling, Just thick apparently...