Why become a member? ×

Bass sound on new bruno mars song!???

hen barn

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1476699250' post='3156316']
But while we're on the subject, what budget synth could do the Michael Jackson, Chaka Khan and Mr. Mars' bass sounds? Around a couple of ton, so no Minitaur type suggestions! The Bass Station sounds wicked in Si's link!
[/quote]

Any analogue or virtual analogue synth with dual oscillators, cross-mod and oscillator sync, a filter that will go into self-oscillation and a separate envelope generator for the filter and the amplifier.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1476723335' post='3156663']

Any analogue or virtual analogue synth with dual oscillators, cross-mod and oscillator sync, a filter that will go into self-oscillation and a separate envelope generator for the filter and the amplifier.
[/quote]

Any examples you can think of? Not well up on this stuff and that's quite a shopping list!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1476725091' post='3156687']
Any examples you can think of? Not well up on this stuff and that's quite a shopping list!
[/quote]

My favourite is still the Clavia Nord Lead. Although I pretty much stopped looking at new synths after I got mine, because it does just about everything I want from a synth. A second-hand MK1 will be somewhere around the £400 mark for the keyboard version and a bit less for the rack.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1476727437' post='3156731']

My favourite is still the Clavia Nord Lead. Although I pretty much stopped looking at new synths after I got mine, because it does just about everything I want from a synth. A second-hand MK1 will be somewhere around the £400 mark for the keyboard version and a bit less for the rack.
[/quote]

Just double what I'd like to spend!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1476728339' post='3156748']
Just double what I'd like to spend!
[/quote]

Be thankful though that you can get something that will do the job relatively cheaply these days (even if it's more than you would like to spend). Back in the early 80s when I was buying my first synth, something that could do what the Nord Lead can cost about the the same as a terraced house here in Nottingham!

I like the sound and feel of the original synth bass part. . . . but I also like that Bruno Mars, with easy access to more talent and gear than we could ever dream of, treats the live performance differently and doesn't try to copy the record.

Big lesson there.

I see the point in asking the question, but Jamareo Artis and Pedro Zappa make the bass guitar sound strong enough that I wouldn't want to sound like the synth if I was playing this number on a gig.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1476723335' post='3156663']

[/quote]

If you're willing to spend a little more I reckon you could get a second hand Korg Ms20 mini, which does all of that...If you're prepared to sacrifice filter ADSR, reckon the Novation Bass Station 2 will cover everything else, and I've seen those go for £200 second hand.

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1476652113' post='3156076']
Or just do it with a bass:
[media]http://youtu.be/1XmcX9x4OqY[/media]
Still pretty great!
[/quote]

That's horrible. Without that great sounding synth bass right up front it's become just another very average vaguely funky pop arrangement. Plus everything goes really weedy during the parts that would have had the long sustained bass notes which are reduced to a blip at the beginning of each bar. I'm surprised that Mr Mars' MD lets him get away with such rubbish.