Why become a member? ×

Is this a really bad idea

vmaxblues

So, to cut a long story short, we have a great PA which consists of two subs and two tops, because of a strange logistic issue (too tedious), we tend only to use the tops and as we only put vox through, this is fine.

Trouble is our drummer wants his kick drum mic'd up. So what I have been doing is bringing my Markbass 2x10" extension cab and he has a TC 250 head and we mic up his kick drum through that. This has been OK apart from the hassle of me bringing an extra cab I am not using etc..

We gigged this weekend and he started fiddling with the amp settings (not really knowing what was what) I think he is expecting a stadium filling bass drum sound. Well, we kicked off with Parklife, and JEEESSSUUSSSS, the noise coming from behind me was a massive bass warbling underwater phase drone, had to run back to quickly adjust eq.

But it has got me thinking, my poor 2x10" is going to get quickly screwed up with this kind of use, so is it best I get him to invest in a 1 x 15" and save my MB cab, or will the MB withstand this kind of use (at normal usable eq levels)?

Do you need 2 subs? Just take 1.

I'd agree with the drummer. Putting a little bass drum through the PA improves the sound of the whole band and when everyone can hear the bass drum, the timing of of the band tightens up.

If you want to make the drummer happier still, run a bass drum monitor for him.

I used to play with a drummer who bought his own PA, just for the bass drum, and 1 speaker which went between us at the back. Hearing the bass drum so clearly changed and improved the feel of the rhythm section. I was surprised ho much better we all played with just that one change. He then ran a feed from his PA to the band PA.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1475572056' post='3146931']
Why would you need any part of the kit mic'd in a pub ?
[/quote]

bringing the bass drum up even just a bit improves the sound a lot, the band doesn't have to be very loud to benefit from this.

My band has PA with 2 subs and 2 tops. We plug everything there appart from the snare and cymbals. The sound is way better for the audience, everybody can dial out their onstage volume and this results in more comfort while playing. If you have the gear you should use it. Mixers have more than one volume adjustment for each channel so you'll only sound too loud if you want to. ;)

I think you should protect your MB 210. Friend of mine ran his for kick and it didn't last long. This is because no one is attending to level of the kick.

I'd take one sub...adds a bit of depth to Vox anyway, typically.

If you have someone out front and the cabs are upto it, then kick thru the tops can be ok..

I've got one bass drum I use for gigs. I have it tuned tighter than I would for the studio, and have a "kick port" thing on the front. I also use a heavy wooden beater and a heavy right foot. Obviously if I was competing with two half stacks and a bassist with too much low end in their sound, I will struggle to cut through, but at the volumes most of you are (hopefully) playing at in pubs, I will not struggle to cut through.

Still, it is nice to have some reinforcement on the kick

One good sub (active) is more than enough for pubs, use it with Kick Drum and Bass to get that chest thump but don't go mad on volume. We Mic up all the drums (seperate dedicated mics to snare & 3 toms plus 2 overheads) Di my Bass and mic up the guitarists marshall 412. It's for the opposite oif loud, its to keep the levels down onstage and control out front. On the OP, it stops other band members fiddling with the controls!!!!