Why become a member? ×

Why have I only just discovered Iron Maiden / Steve Harris??

bagsieblue

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1472846177' post='3124814']
Interesting to note that Steve plays with a very light touch, which he has described as "Tickling" the strings. With this approach, not as much stamina is required.
[/quote]

Indeed. Light touch. Loud amp.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1472836042' post='3124686']
back in my NWOBHM days.
[/quote]

I still havn't managed to work out what band you were in - and chance of a hint or two ;)

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1472847811' post='3124838']
Last time i saw them was on the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son Tour.....Donington 88' and twice at Hammersmith Odeon.

I haven't bought much of their stuff since really. Every song they write now is a mini rock opera.
[/quote]
I got into them in 1987 and the last album of theirs that I love is Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. They then went on a two year break and thirteen year old me didn't have that long of an attention span, so there was only a very short time where I would have wanted to see them. I still listen to all the albums upto and including that one, but they lost me with everything since.

Edited by KingBollock

We do a few Maiden numbers (Trooper, Hallowed, 22 Acacia Ave) at the moment, and I love every single note of them.

'Arry is a god.

If you're going to only listen to one Maiden album for the rest of your life (not that I suggest you do) then it'd have to be Live After Death - it's like a 'greatest hits' but with more background noise.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1472856564' post='3124932']

'Arry is a god.

If you're going to only listen to one Maiden album for the rest of your life (not that I suggest you do) then it'd have to be Live After Death - it's like a 'greatest hits' but with more background noise.
[/quote]

+ 1 to this.

Steve Harris was my bass hero when I first started playing around '88 just as Seventh Son came out. Saw them for the first time that year at the NEC (as captured on the Maiden England DVD). Saw them on numerous occasions after that culminating with Download a couple of years ago when they played the Maiden England set again (give or take a couple of others thrown in).

I was fortunate enough to meet him back stage and was like a tongue tied schoolboy. Also met Nicko and Dave Murray. All lovely guys.

I finally got hold of a 2009 Blue Sparkle Steve Harris Signature P earlier this year and it's my go to bass. The feel of that chunky neck is marvellous.

As others have said, if you're a newby to Mr Harris, Live After Death is the album to listen to 👍

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1472852907' post='3124911']
[url="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OO3XfZ2TTOg"]http://m.youtube.com...h?v=OO3XfZ2TTOg[/url]
[/quote]

[URL=http://www.sherv.net/][IMG]http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/dancing/rocking-stickman-smiley-emoticon.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1472921031' post='3125379']
Is it bad that, while listening to that, I kept thinking that he'd get a more consistent sound if he used a pick?
[/quote]

No that would be horrid, bashing the strings against the frets to to get that random clanking and rattling is SH's signature sound.

Edited by bassman7755