Why become a member? ×

Opinions needed

JamesBass

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1472417190' post='3121016']
With functions you have to be flexible otherwise don't do them. Joe public have no idea how a PA works so they wouldn't think of needing to ask. As for people saying to pull out is very harsh. This is a couples big night and to ruin it because of their naivety is wrong.
[/quote]
They're getting an engagement gig covered for a small contribution and then they have introduced a other act which uses your p a.
It is not unknown for this sort of underhand carryon where a party invites themselves to a pub gig.... Whether they should have any influence on that depends how it all came together.

If this was a £600 plus gig, I'd say that is the way things are..
I'm not sure this falls into that place.
Depends which came first....
The pub is paying the band too.... What sort of Gig is this

If you want to get into functions, like many have said above, this stuff happens, but you're there to be a problem solver for the clients not a problem. The less hassle you can give them and the venue the better your reputation will be. We got asked to take off our shoes loading into a venue the other day, (the venue is part of a working arable farm and a bit dusty) the owner was delighted she didn't have to mop the floor after our sound check.

More specifically to your circumstances, make sure someone babysits the mix and make sure you agree exactly how long she'll sing for. We had a venue ask us exactly the same thing, and the girl sang turgid teenage misery ballads for over the allotted time with absolutely no stagecraft/ audience whatsoever. It almost killed the entire gig!

Well I've finally found out what the singer does, she's an operatic cover singer, she made it to the judges houses once and was booted out at that point. She's a very different style to our stuff - funk/pop/rock

I'm more amicable towards it all today, yesterday I was in a bad mood and that just compounded my mood. I'm still wary of course but I'm willing to help the couple out.

You say you want to get into the world of weddings/functions... Welcome the the world of wedding and function gigs.

Having played loads of weddings these were the comments that really chimed for me.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1472460253' post='3121176']
If you want to get into functions, like many have said above, this stuff happens, but you're there to be a problem solver for the clients not a problem. The less hassle you can give them and the venue the better your reputation will be. We got asked to take off our shoes loading into a venue the other day, (the venue is part of a working arable farm and a bit dusty) the owner was delighted she didn't have to mop the floor after our sound check.

More specifically to your circumstances, make sure someone babysits the mix and make sure you agree exactly how long she'll sing for. We had a venue ask us exactly the same thing, and the girl sang turgid teenage misery ballads for over the allotted time with absolutely no stagecraft/ audience whatsoever. It almost killed the entire gig!
[/quote]
[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1472397961' post='3120805']
Functions are like this, they usually pay better but they are more hassle. You usually end up offering mics for speeches for Uncle Albert to do a 'turn' or you may be asked to provide a background playlist for the break. the people booking you are usually good people but have no experience of working with bands. Yes they should have asked but if they have transgressed then it's probably just because they don't know the system or as suggested that a polite request got lost in the Chinese whispers of it getting to you. It's no real biggy to provide one mic and tweak a knob or two as you have the PA there anyway. It'd be more hassle if she brought her own PA. £350 sounds like a good sum for a first gig. Relax
[/quote]
[quote name='kusee pee' timestamp='1472400374' post='3120831']
In my experience, it's worth being as accommodating as possible unless there's a real cost to you or a risk to your equipment. It's a shame you weren't asked before but if you show willing to do everything to make the event special then the chances are that the reputational benefits will come back to you. Particularly if you are trying to get a foot in the functions door. There have been many times where we've got bookings from guests, friends, relatives of the original client and it's as often from how we are to deal with as how we perform. Of course you don't want to be taken for a ride but you should be able to get a win from this I would think.
[/quote]
[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1472408338' post='3120922']
Lots of flexibility and patience is needed for wedding and other function gigs.

You'll arrange everything down to the minutest detail weeks in advance, then on the day the bride will change her mind about something. You'll need to be able to just accept that, and to be able to be flexible.

Playing times, set lengths, where you set up, the times you set up, they can and invariably will change, often on the day.

Just grit your teeth sometimes, smile and enjoy the occasion.
[/quote]

You'll run into this sort of situation all the time. The question you need to ask yourself is how do you want the clients to feel about you. "Well, we paid them all this money to play and then they started to get really arsey about all sorts of stuff. I really really wouldn't recommend them for your 40th party..." And believe me, they just have no clue about band etiquette, they will think they've paid top dollar however much discount they've been given, they have no idea they've taken a bit of a liberty etc etc etc. Had all sorts of stuff from the happy couple.

So long as real liberties aren't being taken Its better to be "Oh they were so lovely and helpful, even when we ended up messing them about about (whatever)... I'd recommend them to anyone. Definitely book them." Certainly establish limits (which may or may not be flexible) but remember that you aren't there as a band. You're certainly not there as "an artiste". You're there as a service provider in the service industry. Weddings never run as planned or to time. We've been in the position of dropping entire sets because the photos and meal and speeches etc ran on so long.

As to the X-Factor wannabe definitely remain in control of the PA. You could say to the bride, "Well, we're just thinking about the flow of the evening, and singing with backing tracks can flag after a bit compared to a full live band so I'd really recomnend keeping her set to 30 mins, 40 at most. It will just make the whole thing flow so much better for all your guests." That may convince her. Anything perceived a band whinging won't achieve anything other than scenario 1 above. But if she insists you may just have to grin and bear it.

You should also ask to deal direct with the other singer, so ask for contact details. And then agree logistics direct with her. Including transition logistics... I'd suggest something like. After the allotted time the band will quietly take up positions behind her on stage and at the end of the song will make a Thank You announcement to the audience... E.g. "Thank you to Wannabe Starlet for an amazing set. Amazing! Let's have a huge round of applause for Wannabe Starlet (cue polite smattering of claps). No let's have everyone up onto the dance floor for [Mustsng Sally/Brown Eyed Girl]..." To maintain the flow of the music, of course. The fact it makes you look professional and keeps you in control is merely a bonus!

[quote name='kusee pee' timestamp='1472400374' post='3120831']
In my experience, it's worth being as accommodating as possible unless there's a real cost to you or a risk to your equipment. It's a shame you weren't asked before but if you show willing to do everything to make the event special then the chances are that the reputational benefits will come back to you. Particularly if you are trying to get a foot in the functions door. There have been many times where we've got bookings from guests, friends, relatives of the original client and it's as often from how we are to deal with as how we perform. Of course you don't want to be taken for a ride but you should be able to get a win from this I would think.
[/quote]

+1

They should have asked first, but it's really not a big issue in the grand scheme of things. Being accommodating and helpful will lead to more bookings. It wouldn't be untoward for the singist to buy you a pint for your trouble (but unlikely ime! :D )

I played in a functions band for a long time. They are employing you to perform at their big day. We had a very charming and diplomatic lead singer who dealt with all that stuff... and it usually all went very well. I'd just cadge a cup of tea and keep out of it.

Sometimes the family were arsey and sometimes the venue were arsey, but luckily never both at the same time.

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1472467902' post='3121264']
I played in a functions band for a long time. They are employing you to perform at their big day. We had a very charming and diplomatic lead singer who dealt with all that stuff... and it usually all went very well. I'd just cadge a cup of tea and keep out of it.

Sometimes the family were arsey and sometimes the venue were arsey, but luckily never both at the same time.
[/quote]

But the venue is paying money to have a band, so to me this smacks on afterthought... and more afterthought.
If the total fee is £350, this couple are paying £150 tops towards an evening they are dictating..??
The pub wants the takings, and the couple want a party, to their order and they both want it on the cheap...

Bands should be strong enough to tell them like it is... but if the band's hand is weak, you may have to modify the tactics.

If you do go ahead and do it, don't play overtime... and the price should be £100 for an extra 30mins.
I'd still like to know how much the solo act is getting, no one I know goes out for less than £150.... so if they have a name to 'protect'.. you can double that at least..?

And as for other bookings coming from this... I'd be thinking they aren't the type you'd want if this is an example, but you've set a 'known' precedent' now..

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1472470334' post='3121304']

But the venue is paying money to have a band, so to me this smacks on afterthought... and more afterthought.
If the total fee is £350, this couple are paying £150 tops towards an evening they are dictating..??
The pub wants the takings, and the couple want a party, to their order and they both want it on the cheap...

Bands should be strong enough to tell them like it is... but if the band's hand is weak, you may have to modify the tactics.

If you do go ahead and do it, don't play overtime... and the price should be £100 for an extra 30mins.
I'd still like to know how much the solo act is getting, no one I know goes out for less than £150.... so if they have a name to 'protect'.. you can double that at least..?

And as for other bookings coming from this... I'd be thinking they aren't the type you'd want if this is an example, but you've set a 'known' precedent' now..
[/quote]

That's a lot of thinking and stressing there... now back to me cup of tea...

I booked a great band forour anniversary party. In advance I asked if the guys from mý two bands couuld play one song each. No problem at all. The band is so professional and knew we were all seasoned players too. It all made for a great night.

Edited by NoRhino

I have no problem with someone singing through my PA. I'd prefer it if they brought their own mic, but many do anyway. If not, they get my well used old SM58 that I keep for such eventualities (I don't loan them one of my condensers). As long as they're not head-bangers, it's not a problem. I'd just say fine if I was you.

I think TrevorR summed it all up nicely. Live with the hassle and the benefits should come back to you, particularly if you want to be getting into this type of gigging. Be the helpful band that did everything to make the occasion great. I normally like it when it's a bit different with other singers and stuff, makes it more interesting and a learning experience. Good luck!