Why become a member? ×

Early days - what should I be aiming for?

highwayman

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1470953712' post='3109658']
Definitely listening to lots of music picking out the basslines and trying to copy them. It trains your ear somewhat to recognise the notes. Also learn the fretboard.....by this i mean where all the notes are as it helps when you move on to scales and modes.
[/quote]what number 6 said.

As said before, play with other people as much as you can. Play with musicians who are at your own level to get over being intimidated. Then play with other people who are way better than you, if you can, and they will lift you. If you have a good local open mic scene, go along a few times and listen and talk to the regulars, then turn up with your bass and see if you can sit in with them. That has worked wonders for me.

To read: Victor Wooten's [i]The Music Lesson[/i] has transformed the way I understand music and playing music and playing bass guitar. Far more than any conventional theory or technique book. It will make you work to learn its lessons - which are Zen-based - it will get into your soul rather than just your fingers.

I've been trying to play for 2 years, and only in the last couple of months have I started to be able to put anything like real music into my playing. The more you learn, the more you will know that you still have to learn. It's a wonderfully endless road. Enjoy your journey.

Edited by josie

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1471028643' post='3110144']

Yes,in a covers band. Would you be welcomed into a group of 16-20 year old's band hoping to make it big?
[/quote]

We're not a covers band. We have released 2 cds of originals. We're a bar band.

We do play some blues rock covers from Nancy Sinatra to Peter Green to Robin Tower.

Cover bands over here play Bruno Mars and Katy Perry.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1471036334' post='3110209']
We're not a covers band. We have released 2 cds of originals. We're a bar band.

We do play some blues rock covers from Nancy Sinatra to Peter Green to Robin Tower.

Cover bands over here play Bruno Mars and Katy Perry.

Blue
[/quote]

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1471036617' post='3110211']

Just ignore him Blue. He flounced off a while ago, maybe he'll do it again.
[/quote]

Cool,

Thanks *Interpol

Blue

*I went to see Interpol at The Rave when they were in Milwaukee.

Get on your timekeeping asap - timing is the key to (nearly) everything. Get a metronome or drum machine/app and practice playing steady, solid parts; once you've nailed that, everything else will fall into place. Even the wrong notes, but that's OK, we can work on those later.
;)

I'm Trying to teach my eldest son (10) the trouble is, I can't be sure at this point if he wants to learn or just wants to be like dad ? He's doing great, but I have to encourage practice as apposed to him choosing to.
The reason for this is as follows .....

I've taught him the alphabet....
I've taught him to use the alphabet to make words....
But he has to put the time in now to learn how to contstruct sentences, find the right things to say, what to say or not to say.
After that comes learning how to be softly spoken or shout, talk in the correct meter etc etc....

There is a lot to take in, but once you get so far in, things become self explanatory, things translate , patterns emerge....

I've downloaded an app which is a game which has a bass fret board on it... It asks you to name notes, hear notes and point to them etc etc, I would highly recommend it. There are a few like it so just have a search.

Finally, what's works as s basic method for a beginner , just to get a feel for playing, buy a tab or guitar book of an album you like. Something simple, let's say for example (horrible example) oasis, deffo maybe .
Put the album on and follow the words in the book. Look at the names of the guitar chords, they usually have a tab chord pic and the name of the chief above the lyric text. Pick up you bass and just play along playing the root note of that chord , so for example, if it say A minor, just play an A, if it says E minor, just play an E.... And so on.
You will find you will be able to begging to follow changes, coordinate your hands etc etc....

Most if all, have fun and enjoy the huge grin on your face when you get it right.

Little wonky is currently working on the verse parts of sir duke, he got so frustrated over it but when he cracked it he was chuffed to bits.
(So was I ;) )

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1470955146' post='3109670']
The best learning I ever got was going out and playing with other musicians at rehearsals and gigs. Made an absolute pig's ear of my first few public performances but I am thankful every day now for learning the lessons they taught me.
[/quote]

THIS (just noticed the thread)

I used to teach and always made the point with my little angels that unless you like showing off in public, bass is a co-operative instrument. You need to be playing with other people on other instruments to progress.

Went to a "do" at a little cafe near us last night, to watch a friend`s young daughter who picked up a guitar for the first time 8 months ago playing with her grandads band.
She was bloody amazing for just 8 months learning (self-taught mostly) and I am convinced it was because grandad let her sit in on gigs.
Incidentally, drummer and bass player were surprisingly good for old farts (like me)
Bassist had a recent 50s Precision USA reissue and a tiny MarkBass combo, drummer on Ringo-finish Ludwig kit complete with double bass pedal, full set of roto toms and two huge floor toms! Timewarp, but they could both play well. Naff british bloke on guitar and an older brit lasdy singing. Evidently the lineup changes for every gig! :D

Edited by ivansc