Why become a member? ×

Lakland Darryl Jones

Sean

[quote name='obbm' post='298974' date='Oct 3 2008, 10:15 PM']So what's the story with this then?[/quote]

Apparently it started as an idea on TB to have a special DJ made (like the DPLE ones previously done) that was identical to Adam Clayton's one - I don't think there was enough interest for it to go ahead but as I understand it, Dan Lakin thought it would be a good idea and they went ahead and did it. To the best of my knowledge there are two of these with Chi-Sonic pups.

Interestingly this DJ has no binding and no "Darryl Jones" signature on the headstock. It also has 250 Ohm pots whereas the Aero ones have 500 Ohm pots. What pots do the Fralin ones have?

[quote name='Sean' post='299475' date='Oct 4 2008, 05:19 PM']Interestingly this DJ has no binding and no "Darryl Jones" signature on the headstock. It also has 250 Ohm pots whereas the Aero ones have 500 Ohm pots. What pots do the Fralin ones have?[/quote]

My Fralin DJ came with 500K pots. Who owns this one then?

[quote name='obbm' post='299585' date='Oct 4 2008, 08:16 PM']Extremely cool. Is it a one-off or from a production run? I can find no mention of it apart from here.

Also is it a Skyline?[/quote]

Yes, it is a Skyline and it was a limited edition (a run of 20 or 30, not exactly sure) that didn't have an official name but was known as the "Clayton" DJ or AC/DJ. I found out about it back in May when I was talking to Lakland about a new DJ and they mentioned this one that was in the pipeline. I ordered it the first week of June and it arrived yesterday. The pickups were an addition that I ordered (there are two with Chi's) and I'm so glad I went for the Chi-Sonics, they are incredible. I'll record some MP3s tomorrow and I'll A/B it with the Aero DJ. It's a very different beast to the Aero DJ.

As an aside:

They are now doing a Chi-Sonic P pickup that looks completely traditional but has all the Chi magic (whatever it is, it's good) - It's standard on all P basses from now on.

Edited by Sean

Here are some hurriedly recorded sound files of the two different Lakland Darryl Jones basses.

[url="http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/76718/aeroDJprayer1.mp3"]DJ with Aeros[/url]

[url="http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/76718/ACDJPrayer2.mp3"]DJ with Chi's [/url]

The DJ with Chi's has got Lakland Steel strings and the Aero DJ has got DR Peacock Blue Long Life strings. Both volumes and tone up full on both basses.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Sean' post='300113' date='Oct 5 2008, 08:25 PM']Here are some hurriedly recorded sound files of the two different Lakland Darryl Jones basses.

[url="http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/76718/aeroDJprayer1.mp3"]DJ with Aeros[/url]

[url="http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/76718/ACDJPrayer2.mp3"]DJ with Chi's [/url]

The DJ with Chi's has got Lakland Steel strings and the Aero DJ has got DR Peacock Blue Long Life strings. Both volumes and tone up full on both basses.[/quote]

Can't get those to work - is it me?

Pics look good though.

[quote name='obbm' post='300218' date='Oct 5 2008, 11:24 PM']Works OK for me. My cr@p hearing tells me that the Chi's seem to have bit more depth and low-end compared to the Aeros.[/quote]

Ditto.. cool clips.

ped

• 11 months later...