Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

22 minutes ago, Chadu25 said:

Nice board! Have you tried the DMC Micro preset editor site? You can name your presets up to 8 characters if you have the v2 firmware. Really helpful. Here's mine

DMC.jpg

No I haven’t!!! I’ll sort that out. Thanks for the heads up that will make life a lot easier. 

1 minute ago, bassfan said:

No I haven’t!!! I’ll sort that out. Thanks for the heads up that will make life a lot easier. 

Here's the link where you can rename your presets:
https://studiocode.dev/dmcmicro-editor/

Just plug your DMC micro to the PC, no need to plug from power source just the usb cable from your laptop/pc is enough to power it up.

You need to check though if your device is on V2 firmware otherwise it won't read. There's a way to update it with instructions from the Disaster Area website so just check it out. Luckily I got mine 2nd hand and has been updated to V2. Cheers! C4 is so good!

• Like 1

Just now, tayste_2000 said:

I’ve come to the conclusion I don’t like pedals anymore 😅

they may just be too tasty. Feel free to send over the spares 😂 the jhs pulp n peel will be the one that got away for me, but I’m so very happy with the Alma…

… what are the two on the board? Tell us more!

1 hour ago, Ander87 said:

they may just be too tasty. Feel free to send over the spares 😂 the jhs pulp n peel will be the one that got away for me, but I’m so very happy with the Alma…

Well currently there is no board 😂 in the pic it’s the Fulltone Bass Drive and an SFX Headphone/IEM Mixer and DI

I have a pile of pedals now for sale and I’m keeping and will explain the following.

MXR Bass Octave Deluxe - If you’re not doing warbly synthy oc2 sounds this is the best and really versatile.

Dod FX25 - Using the LPF trick it does. I’m getting a huge phat sound out of it after hearing Si Francis do the same with a far more expensive filter in an Americana band

SFX IEM Mixer - It’s a di but it also accepts a stereo or mono feed from a desk. This gives you a volume for your IEMs of bass and the desk feed separately, so you can balance it yourself. It also has a link out so you can pass on the desk feed. It’s incredibly useful and the DI sounds great.

EBS Microbass 3 - Picked this up by chance last week, sounds way better than I imagined and has all the IO I’d ever need on any gig.

Sonicake Octaver - Sounds identical to the OC2 and the Valeton OC10 and when I say identical I don’t mean close I mean identical. I preferred the format and size of this one and it’s the cheapest.

Zoom MS-60b - I hate that I love this pedal so much. I started looking for a small multi to scratch an itch and have something interesting to play with on the road. This was the smallest multi I could find that you could also take to a jam night because it still has a foot switch (I also have 2 NUX Mighty Plugs, which sound good (enough) but aren’t gigable). This can be powered by USB, AAs and standard 9v. I wanted it for misc effects that don’t warrant a stand alone. Frankly this thing just slays, I’ve loaded on particle and pitch shifting delays from the MS70cdr along with anything else weird I can find and I can do a passable impression of basically anything. All of which means I can continue to travel super light.

My plan for the board is a grab and go solution for when gigs pop up. It’ll stay in the U.K. and I’ll just grab it when I fly in and should be able to cover everything (knowing I’ll have the zoom and a stagebug di with me in whatever gigbag I have with me)

/long rambly post

Ok…. so I made a board

It’s the newer nano bag so the Microbass 3 is in the front pocket and the Zoom is in the bass gigbag.

I want the Cioks 4 for power and that’s about it

896FA275-2736-4301-A783-CABBEFF5D787.jpeg

F9229D1D-3EA6-4696-8E56-61BA4E4990E2.jpeg

Edited by tayste_2000
Ended up being able to decide what I use
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Pulp n peel is a great all in one I think I just prefer bass -> di.

I have 3 stagebugs, a countryman, the sfx and I’ll be picking up 2 tube dis in the near future and this just seems to be my preference 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ander87 said:

I could take care of that Pulp N Peel...

I have bought and sold that pedal three times and I always come back to it. I'd probably get another one...

I'm still deciding wether I keep the Vintage Pre preamp on the board. I usually use the HX Stomp as a preamp and I have a couple of presets that I like. I don't usually use many effects so it might be redundant to have both. Still trying.

Also, I am also testing the compressor in different places.

20230322_185419.jpg

• Like 3

Here's a quick Pedal Shelf (tm) update.

See those super neon pedals? Meet the FX58 Metal Maniac and FX59 Thrashmaster.

I saw a demo on YouTube and ended up with both, though the Thrashmaster isn't working so will be off for repair soon. I'm 99% sure they're based on the Boss HM2 with some very slight tweaks, and some minor component differences between the DOD pedals themselves. The sound is the same as the look. The FX58 at least is massively heavy but the presence control is really interactive. You can't escape the distortion but it rolls off high end. There's no loss of bass.

IMG_4914.jpeg

• Like 8

Update, I opened up the FX59 and wiggled some things around, turns out it works but the LED doesn't, which is OK but I guess when setting up you'd probably want to check if the pedal's on before turning your amp on, otherwise you could very well kill yourself with the gain it produces.

Comparing the two, the FX59 is a little bit smoother and reacts more to dynamics; the FX58 is more defined and has more mids. Will have to try them live and see which feels best.

iPhone cameras can't handle hot pink!

IMG_4915.jpeg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ped said:

Here's a quick Pedal Shelf (tm) update.

See those super neon pedals? Meet the FX58 Metal Maniac and FX59 Thrashmaster.

I saw a demo on YouTube and ended up with both, though the Thrashmaster isn't working so will be off for repair soon. I'm 99% sure they're based on the Boss HM2 with some very slight tweaks, and some minor component differences between the DOD pedals themselves. The sound is the same as the look. The FX58 at least is massively heavy but the presence control is really interactive. You can't escape the distortion but it rolls off high end. There's no loss of bass.

IMG_4914.jpeg

The paint loss on the American Bassballs seems very selective there…

• Haha 2

IMG_20230323_213540.thumb.jpg.62d8509d580d72fbf39dd9678ed18cd5.jpg

Trying something different this weekend. Swapped the Plethora for the Ampero so I can use the preamp and a, ahem, plethora of always on effects, plus 4 selectable and a tuner. Oh and another synth and couple more filters, because.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 6

8B615811-C77F-417B-8DB0-F00FE481FBF9.thumb.jpeg.15a1c8442cefb3b782fd322608701f1b.jpeg

this came in today, haven’t had a chance to try properly but initially very pleased with it, hopefully diving into it soon - board on the way with hopefully the right amount of patch cables… sounds like I’ll be building all except for one pedal left this week coming

Edited by Ander87
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, moley6knipe said:

Noice. One of the best looks for a pedal that I’ve seen. Very cool! Pics when it’s in situ….

Thanks! I agree, it’s got buckets of mojo - I couldn’t wait for the limited edition run coming at 24v (I had no gain stage yet and do have gigs coming up)… I may end up getting it still and selling either or, but we’ll see. For what it’s worth, I was able to try the pedal at 9/18/24v. 

biggest difference is 9-18, although I could tell 24v being cleanest, and 9v dirtiest. The more voltage the more open and clean headroom. 

If anyone wonders on how/why did I choose the Broadcast:

1) I can't get my Capo just yet due to a change of plans - it's in Spain and will be with me 'soon', not sure when, but do have gigs this April coming up - I've got no other gain staging other than the fuzz and the punters could leave the venue bleeding their ears out if I feed them OFF1 all through... Maybe not such a bad idea........

2) I wanted a pedal that (in theory) I won't ditch out when the Capo is here, so, the Broadcast will be the distortion pedal for now on the short term, but will move back to a boost on the long term to thicken up and add a tad bit of breakup when the Capo is in.

3) I was tempted on the 2 footswitch dual version but I do not need 2 gain points (and another 2-4 with the Capo, not counting the fuzz) nor internal trim pots etc etc - simple works best here.

4) Fit in my board plans and good headroom (alma compressor works internally at 32v, Capo internal at 30v... Gotta pump those numbers up! Those are rookie numbers in this racket.

Edited by Ander87

23 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Fit in my board plans and good headroom (alma compressor works internally at 32v, Capo internal at 30v... Gotta pump those numbers up! Those are rookie numbers in this racket.

This pedal I built is about 185v inside - what do I win? 
image.thumb.jpg.e6463fe10844807823319ddd85fb9a2b.jpg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

If anyone wonders on how/why did I choose the Broadcast:

Also I forgot to add 5) a redundancy of low cut/HPF if I’m doing a shitty gig where I’m forced to use ‘the house amp’ or boomy stage and don’t have my Mesa head for whichever other reason

20 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Also I forgot to add 5) a redundancy of low cut/HPF if I’m doing a shitty gig where I’m forced to use ‘the house amp’ or boomy stage and don’t have my Mesa head for whichever other reason

Well I’d say it cuts bass anyway so I don’t think you’ll have the problem.

It’ll fill the gap but I don’t think you’ll find it’s a keeper, mine lasted 15 minutes 😅

Haha! 

13 minutes ago, tayste_2000 said:

Well I’d say it cuts bass anyway so I don’t think you’ll have the problem.

It’ll fill the gap but I don’t think you’ll find it’s a keeper, mine lasted 15 minutes 😅

I do think a gramma pad does best instead for stage acoustics (which I do have and love) but I’m just getting to a very picky moment in my life where most of the job gear wise is done and I’m running out of excuses to get gear 😂

Cant wait to try it with the Capo as it seems like the Capo could do with a tad small push for the gain I like (I’m a darkglass orphan child) but of course this is only theory and something I’ve seen @MrDinsdale do… 

• Like 1