Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

Hey no worries Simon - thanks for the compliments.

The NS2 is there to tame the beasts, but mainly for the big muff noisy bugger!
Haha :lol: Refined mayhem, I like it... Good description of the Polysaturator.
I wouldn't say it's a quiet pedal at 15v It's just that there's more headroom! Perhaps people perceive it as being louder when running off @ 9v due to some sort of limiting? :scratch_one-s_head: I run it at 12v as the fuel tank Chameleon goes - 9v / 12v and 18v

Yes, that's a DD3 well spotted! I love messing around with delaydelaydelay...
After I get the blend/loop made Im thinking of upgrade my DI, the Sansamp BDDI is fine but sometimes I feel the drive is a bit on the artificial side, I would love to get my hands on a Aguilar ToneHammer at some point. But hey I may just run them both?
Not one for subtlety!!

Thank you for recommending the PT2 looks ideal...
Just upgraded to the Diago Gigman Lastweek, I found it at my local pawn shop for a very reasonable price!
Previously I used Rockcase by Warwick which took a beating over the years of relentless touring and airport cargo holds.
Lasted well mind!
The Gigman is very robust also much better dimensions it's fine for my sized down set up, where I just use all the practical stuff Power/Tuner/Gate/EQ and all the distortion/fuzz/drive pedals.
I sadly ditch most, if not all of the modulation :unsure: this is mainly down to weight issues

It's great that the PT2 has a soft case option. Transportation is a big factor as I lug my board and bass around on two busses
Too and from practice each week!

best

It's been far too long coming... but here is a new instalment of my Signal Chain BASSics series. This time around it's discussing my obsession - pitch effects!

[url="http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/blog/signal-chain-bassics-part-viii-pitch-effects.html"]Shep on Bass - Signal Chain BASSics, Part VIII: Pitch Effects[/url]

It's been a long time since I published part VII as the interviews I've been doing have taken up so much time. I fully intend to get back on the ball with these though, along with a pile of pedal demos.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1346020888' post='1784289']
This is what me and TaySte were playin around with this afternoon...

Impressive results!
[/quote]

is this just for the tour your doing soon or are you properly going back to basic's then?

and like jhunter said above a really good bit on pitch shifting dude!

[quote name='[email protected]' timestamp='1346259280' post='1787161']
Hey Shep great article about pitch based effects! What's your thoughts on the now discontinued Boss PS3? I've just acquired one myself loving it so far, Lots of options and a lush chorus! You got me gassing for an oc2!
[/quote]

Hey dude, glad you enjoyed it.

A guitarist friend of mine owns a PS3 (pedal, not games console!) and I really like it. I've had a good play on bass and it ticks the right boxes. I've always liked the Boss Pitch effects, though oddly I've always settled on owning other companies versions.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1346259875' post='1787170']
is this just for the tour your doing soon or are you properly going back to basic's then?

and like jhunter said above a really good bit on pitch shifting dude!
[/quote]

I'm keeping the big board if thats what you mean. 2 pedals went (Meatbox and Noisebox) but the main board is still there. Logistically my full set up is a nightmare - it weighs so much it's a struggle for 2 people and due to size it won't go in many vehicles. I expect 'bigger' gigs, rehearsals and recording will be done on the large set up still.

What I wanted was a lighter weight set up that can reproduce the songs that I play on the big board (be it with different tones/sounds) - something that fits easily in any car and can be carried with one hand for smaller local shows. The idea is to have a set up that fits in a Diago Showman.

So far using just the M13 and 2 Line 6 expression pedals I've been able to 'recreate' the core of all our commonly played tracks, though 2 of them have had to have some sounds sacrificed. The tunes sound very different, but I can recreate te textures, layers and feels fine. I obviously prefer the time of the bigger cool effects, but I'm it sure the audience will be that bothered. I'll likely be using 1 or 2 extras with the M13 - the Aggie and loop mixer for my sub and likely the Geiger counter as its the tunes that use the GC that I'm needing to use 2 patchs at once on the M13 to get a sound that's close. If I can live with the M9 expression pedals I can get those 3 units in a Showman board easy - If I use the MP-201 then I'll not fit the GC.

We shall see!

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1346347779' post='1788182']
That looks fun Simwells. What's the pink one? I can't spot a fuzz on there, is that what it is, or do you let your SuperSynth cover your square wave needs?
[/quote]

No fuzz!?

Geiger Counter for the win!!! More fuzz, distortion, overdrive & bit crushing than any man could need!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1346261932' post='1787213']
Hey dude, glad you enjoyed it.

A guitarist friend of mine owns a PS3 (pedal, not games console!) and I really like it. I've had a good play on bass and it ticks the right boxes. I've always liked the Boss Pitch effects, though oddly I've always settled on owning other companies versions.

I'm keeping the big board if thats what you mean. 2 pedals went (Meatbox and Noisebox) but the main board is still there. Logistically my full set up is a nightmare - it weighs so much it's a struggle for 2 people and due to size it won't go in many vehicles. I expect 'bigger' gigs, rehearsals and recording will be done on the large set up still.

What I wanted was a lighter weight set up that can reproduce the songs that I play on the big board (be it with different tones/sounds) - something that fits easily in any car and can be carried with one hand for smaller local shows. The idea is to have a set up that fits in a Diago Showman.

So far using just the M13 and 2 Line 6 expression pedals I've been able to 'recreate' the core of all our commonly played tracks, though 2 of them have had to have some sounds sacrificed. The tunes sound very different, but I can recreate te textures, layers and feels fine. I obviously prefer the time of the bigger cool effects, but I'm it sure the audience will be that bothered. I'll likely be using 1 or 2 extras with the M13 - the Aggie and loop mixer for my sub and likely the Geiger counter as its the tunes that use the GC that I'm needing to use 2 patchs at once on the M13 to get a sound that's close. If I can live with the M9 expression pedals I can get those 3 units in a Showman board easy - If I use the MP-201 then I'll not fit the GC.

We shall see!
[/quote]

Solution

http://www.wmdevices.com/gcci.php

?

Probably not, tbh the more I think about it the less I need it, because everything I do would be preset times or tap tempo and likely only studio based.

My next purchases will be the Subdecay Prometheus and Quasar DLX and using them for LFO esq foibles, but as always I'll probably just come back to the M13 or an M9

Would be nice to meet up with people and rock a PT Mini or Nano instead of the PT2 and have my arms feel like they are falling off

Meatbox into Prom DLX into Quasar DLX into Echobox could be epic, everything from Ambience to Dubstep

Herro. Here's my almost full board:

Signal chain:[list=1]
[*]Korg pitchblack tuner
[*]EHX microPOG
[*]MXR M80+ OD/EQ
[*]EHX Bass Big Muff
[*]MXR M82 envelope filter
[*]EHX Worm in phaser mode
[*]Boss RT-20 Leslie cabinet modeller with overdrive (this thing is ace!)
[*]Akai Head Rush R2 delay/looper
[*]Markbass Compressore
[/list]

Edited by DiMarco

This afternoon, I roughed out the signal chain for my new 'mini rig' pedal board. I'd been looking for a solution so that I can leave my usual rack gear at home and this compact set up is looking like it'll cover most of my needs.

The Ampeg BSP distortion preamp is staying home* and my MXR M80 is being retired, though to be honest I hadn't used it for ages anyway! I've still got my TC Electronic Nova System. I like that alot - but with the B3 here now, I'm going to see if I really need the Nova too! - I'd be tempted to try out an iPad driven pedal, such as iStomp for extra flexibility but not required yet!

So, the mess in the picture above is before I have dropped some custom foam in to the pedal board. I've ordered up a Planet Waves pedal board kit so I can do custom cable lengths. If I was to ever be a bit OCD (heh, aren't well all) then tidy rack systems and pedal boards is where I'm at!

Finally, I will probably install a stereo DI to feed to PA FOH / recording devices and put in a two button foot switch for amp channel switching should I need it.

Oh, you may be wondering why I've got a tuner in there too, despite the B3 having a perfectly good one.. well, my geeky side loves flashing lights lol - but actually it makes for a great mute button for changing basses too.

This will unbelievably after over 20 years of playing bass, my first 'proper' pedal board as I have always used rack mount effects and MIDI foot controllers.

edit: *The LS-2, graphic and MT-2 are taking the place of the BSP. Not perfect but actually a close match to the type of distortion produced if you keep an eye on EQ settings.

I've spent the afternoon making up the new patch cables for my board as I was having issues with the George L's patch leads.

My next job is getting to the underside of the board and wiring & routing the power cables, along with labelling the power supply outlets so I don't fry nice pedals with incorrect voltage. I also need to to pin down some patch cables for neatness.

I'm also thinking about a loop switch to route the M5 from the back of the chain to the front, so I can use and effect the modulation settings, then hooking up an expression pedal.

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/bowkster/1b84d11b5775c0611740032d36840c5a.jpg[/IMG]