Why become a member? ×

Making a P/J active? How?

BassTractor

Are there any general purpose preamps that would not need specific cavities to fit in?
I was thinking of the possibility of modding a Hohner B2B by (initially) keeping the pick-ups but adding a preamp and exchanging the pots so one gets a mid position indent.
Then I realised I only know of John East's J- and P- Retros, and AFAIK they need certain cavities, but I'd assume other products exist that could be used with most P/J configured basses?
True?
Which?

Thanks!

Thanks, guys!

Billy:
That seems like an intelligent solution indeed!
It's funny too, as I was thinking of the EMG PJ Set anyway. So maybe one could just reverse the process, and start with investing in the pickups and then add the pre later. Hm. Promising, this.

SR-Pete:
That I must investigate too. The B2B has little space, and I'm thinking it would be nice not to have to rout too much.

Wow!
A lot of good help in little time, and that on a Saturday evening!
It's well appreciated.

Edited by BassTractor

I've got an Artec SE3P EQ in my fretless Yamaha, it works really well. The sweepable mid is ideal for fretless. They do various configurations. Got mine off fleabay.

http://artecsound.com/pickups/electronics/index.html

Just dropped an EMG PJ set in one of my favourite basses and I have to say, I love it even more now! Hooked up to a Glockenklang preamp it's a brilliant pairing. Big tone!

Definitely recommend John East's kit though - he's a very talented chap!

Here you go thought I'd plug it in to recharge while I was at it. The red LED goes green when charged.

[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/20160709_195404_zpsvkipk565.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

The size of the internal battery...
[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/20160709_195347_zpsspfoe834.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

From experience with some of my kit: If you are keeping existing pickups the Artec is really good value for money. With EMGs you may not need a pre-amp, the passive tone control on my JJ set actually seems to have some effect.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1468090014' post='3088575']
I have a PJ with active/passive East P Retro and the internal rechargeable battery (blendable between the two pups). Will try to get a pic taken
[/quote]

Thanks very much, guys! Special mention for RR even taking pics.
RR, what does "blendable between the two pups" mean? Dunno if it's some English I don't understand or something technical.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1468183248' post='3089139']
So clever that circuit!

I think blendable in this case is all P or all J and both pickups on full in the middle, with a blend of both as you turn the knob towards one or the other.
[/quote]
That's pretty much it.
Another vote for Artec pre's. The great thing about them is that all the circuitry is on the pots, so they will usually fit in some pretty tight cavities.
AxesRus usually have them.

Edited by BassBunny