Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Two10

discreet

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1472063678' post='3118161']
I'm very happy with my current cabs, but they do have some limitations that I suspect the Two10s would not have, for just a little bit bigger size/weight.
[/quote]

One thing worth noting is that a single two10 will move as much air as a pair of TKS 112 so a pair of two10 would sound massive.

Go for it. :)

Frank.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1474994697' post='3142162']
Ok, so it happened... single Two10 ordered.

:rolleyes:
[/quote]

Good man. :)

I'm tempted to order a second one10. I'm so impressed with the single one10 I have. It easily handled a small pub gig last Saturday with a drummer, guitarist, singer and me on bass, using a one10 and GK MB200.

I'll be honest, I did at times miss the top end and clarity of the BB2 and/or SM. The one10 is a different character altogether but brilliant in its own right.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1472081779' post='3118441']
One thing worth noting is that a single two10 will move as much air as a pair of TKS 112 so a pair of two10 would sound massive.

Go for it. :)

Frank.
[/quote]

You'd have to demo that because I use 2xs112's and I pound them with an 800w top. I can't see it myself and I note the previous comment about lack of top and clarity, which is what I'd expect. You need to reasonable with the expectations.

I run two One10s with a GK MB800, and almost exclusively play upright bass these days. There is so much bass in these cabs that I usually run the bass knob on the GK around 10 o'clock. If the Two10 has more bass response, well it seems to be a non-issue to me. Thus the One10 is a more versatile cab as it can be used on its own for small (even not so small) gigs. My HandBox R-400 amp is nearly finished, so looking forward to that arriving and pairing with the Barefaced cabs.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1475003996' post='3142270']
You'd have to demo that because I use 2xs112's and I pound them with an 800w top. I can't see it myself and I note the previous comment about lack of top and clarity, which is what I'd expect. You need to reasonable with the expectations.
[/quote]

I'm an engineer. I read the specifications. Whether you can "see it" or not is irrelevant. I'm sure you know by now that the 800w "top" is no reliable measure of the resulting volume. It's far more complex than that. Look into the specifications. I know we've had a similar discussion before so I don't expect us to agree. :) No harm in having the discussion again though?

I didn't say there was a "lack of top end and clarity" in the one10. That is misquoting me.
I said I missed the top end and clarity of the BB2 and SM, both of which have different design goals from the one10, so no surprise there. It wasn't a criticism of the one10 as such, just a comparison.

The one10 is a superb cab in my opinion, quite amazing low end, volume and fullness. In a way it reminds me of how an AER amp one combo sounds, but I think it might be slightly better.

EDIT: None of the above is a criticism of the TKS S112. I haven't heard them, although I've owned cabs that had the same drivers and they [i]are[/i] excellent drivers so I assume the S112s are a good cab too.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1474997508' post='3142185']
Good man. :)

I'm tempted to order a second one10. I'm so impressed with the single one10 I have. It easily handled a small pub gig last Saturday with a drummer, guitarist, singer and me on bass, using a one10 and GK MB200.

I'll be honest, I did at times miss the top end and clarity of the BB2 and/or SM. The one10 is a different character altogether but brilliant in its own right.

Frank.
[/quote]

I don't miss the top end of the BB2. The S112 don't have anywhere close to the same amount of top end, but it actually fits better with what I want them to sound like and find it easier to get a great sound. So the lack of top end won't be what put me off the Two10!

I end up playing a few gigs where bringing more than one cab for stage monitoring is possible but a hassle not worth getting into... and a single 8 ohm S112 was not quite right. I'm wondering if the 4 ohm Two10 can be the solution in these situations...
It looks like they had a couple in production right now, unassigned... so it may be with me pretty soon!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1475008738' post='3142328']
I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it. From various forum posts, I wonder if it might be a bit mellower in the top end than the S112s are, but that's just a hunch.
[/quote]

probably a bit mellower but presumably not by a lot... I doubt it'll have the sweet low mids the S112 seems to excel at, but we'll see.

I'm taking advantage of the return policy they have. I have been unable to try one of these, and I figured it was better to bite the bullet and try new: if it works for me, fantastic... and it if doesn't, I return it and I only lose a small amount of cash that I'm happy to pay for the opportunity to try the cab exactly where I'd want to use it.

My Two10 is going nowhere. That doesn't mean you'll like it of course, but my cab journey has been a long one. I'm not saying I'm at the end of it either - but for size, weight and portability versus power handling, tone and clarity, the Two10 is very hard to beat. In my humble opinion, of course. I've never been a big fan of tweeters in a bass cab anyway, but the Two10 certainly isn't lacking in treble response.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1472081779' post='3118441']

[/quote]

I firstly want to say I've had a 4ohm Two10, and loved it. No problems there at all!! Great sounding cab.

Not trying to troll here, but genuinely interested what spec you've read or know of (i know you said you were an engineer later down the thread) that qualifies this?
I have 2 X S112s . To me, it felt they were louder. Maybe to do with the amps they were paired with?

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1475067137' post='3142752']
I firstly want to say I've had a 4ohm Two10, and loved it. No problems there at all!! Great sounding cab.

Not trying to troll here, but genuinely interested what spec you've read or know of (i know you said you were an engineer later down the thread) that qualifies this?
I have 2 X S112s . To me, it felt they were louder. Maybe to do with the amps they were paired with?
[/quote]

I presume that's based on the volume displacement (Vd) of the drivers used. The driver used in the S112 has about the same Vd figure as one of the drivers used in the two10 (from the specs I've been able to find), so the amount of air it can shift in the lows before it starts to distort should be similar between one two10 and a pair of S112.
But a lot of perceived loudness happens higher up in the mids, where Vd doesn't tell us as much. From the published specs, a pair of S112 appears to be more efficient than a single two10 so might well sound louder in some circumstances, dependent on how much amp power is available and how low-end heavy the desired sound is.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1475066268' post='3142742']
My Two10 is going nowhere. That doesn't mean you'll like it of course, but my cab journey has been a long one. I'm not saying I'm at the end of it either - but for size, weight and portability versus power handling, tone and clarity, the Two10 is very hard to beat. In my humble opinion, of course. I've never been a big fan of tweeters in a bass cab anyway, but the Two10 certainly isn't lacking in treble response.
[/quote]

The Two10 goes a bit lower and a bit higher than the S112, so no, it doesn't seem it'll lack treble for my taste either. Can't wait to try it.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1475068783' post='3142765']
I presume that's based on the volume displacement (Vd) of the drivers used. The driver used in the S112 has about the same Vd figure as one of the drivers used in the two10 (from the specs I've been able to find), so the amount of air it can shift in the lows before it starts to distort should be similar between one two10 and a pair of S112.
But a lot of perceived loudness happens higher up in the mids, where Vd doesn't tell us as much. From the published specs, a pair of S112 appears to be more efficient than a single two10 so might well sound louder in some circumstances, dependent on how much amp power is available and how low-end heavy the desired sound is.
[/quote]

That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1475067137' post='3142752']

[/quote]

I'm just home and I've just read your post. Beer of the Bass has explained it quite well below so I won't go farther.

Just to clarify though, I'm not saying the one10 or two10 is lacking in highs as such, just that I've been using the BB2 for quite a while so my ears need to adjust to the one10 which is a different sounding cab - but I do love how it sounds. My ears will adjust soon enough. Just about to go to a rehearsal where the one10 will get another outing.

Frank.

Yep, the highs on these Retro cabs are a fair bit different to the other BF cabs. I`ve found them to be too smooth for my current needs, as a result the gain/drive/aggression that I need doesn`t come through, so am going back to the more regular BF cabs which are clearer , but if looking for a smooth sounding cab these are ideal. Eventually I intend to play in a Motown style band, once I hang up my punk boots so to speak, at that point a couple of the 210s will be in my armoury.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1475086950' post='3142984']
Yep, the highs on these Retro cabs are a fair bit different to the other BF cabs. I`ve found them to be too smooth for my current needs, as a result the gain/drive/aggression that I need doesn`t come through, so am going back to the more regular BF cabs which are clearer , but if looking for a smooth sounding cab these are ideal. Eventually I intend to play in a Motown style band, once I hang up my punk boots so to speak, at that point a couple of the 210s will be in my armoury.
[/quote]

Ah nuts, I was thinking of moving on my SC's to get a Retro cab setup to help with my barracuda bass sound. Sounds like Retro's would work with the Ska sound but not the punk :(