Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Two10

discreet

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1467883809' post='3086920']
I was asking him to move, but he couldn't hear me!
[/quote]

Perhaps the internationally-known sign language gesture for 'feck off' would have been appropriate..? :D

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1467883740' post='3086917']
I like my gear to inspire me... so if it works for you it's totally worth it.
[/quote]

Yes, it's working for me - at home. I'll find out on Sunday if it works for me in a band context... I'm sure it will be fine. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467884111' post='3086924']
Perhaps the internationally-known sign language gesture for 'feck off' would have been appropriate..? :D
[/quote]

I was screaming by the end, when he finally heard me. He had somehow slid in front of me with his back to me so sign language would have been useless, and my hands were full with my cab anyway!

I was tempted to ram it into his back to get him to move, but he did look rather frail. Shame it left me off work for a week and now I'm a bit frail too!

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1467884286' post='3086929']
I was tempted to ram it into his back to get him to move, but he did look rather frail.
[/quote]

You can't go ramming old, frail deaf people with an Ashdown cab. It's not the done thing. :biggrin:

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1467892534' post='3087061']
You'd be fine nudging him with an Ashdown - they are woolly, after all ;)
[/quote]

Yes, and you could make him comfy with the blanket that is apparently draped over all Ashdown cabs. ;)

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1467892608' post='3087062']
What's a hybrid resonator?
[/quote]

Blurb:

[b]Hybrid resonator enclosure[/b]
[color=#333333][size=3]This mimics the transfer function of a classic sealed cab - a bump in the upper bass for that fat old school feel plus a shallow 12dB/octave roll-off through the lows for tight well controlled bottom which works well in all kinds of venues and keeps sound engineers happy. The hybrid resonant system increases the back pressure on the drivers, reducing their excursion and improving their efficiency and increasing the maximum bass output thanks to the extra air movement provided by the resonator.[/size][/color]

[b]Barefaced line array[/b]
[color=#333333][size=3]Both drivers work in unison to produce big bass and punchy mids but to improve dispersion only one has treble output - just like a PA line array.[/size][/color]
[color=#333333][size=3]It might seem counter-intuitive but the dispersion of a wave source is inversely proportion to the size of the source vs the wavelength - so side by side 10" drivers can have good dispersion through the lows and lower mids but once you get into the higher mids and treble the lateral dispersion narrows drastically. By only letting higher mids and treble come from one speakers we get much better dispersion through those frequencies so you have more consistent tone around the stage and venue. Not something you'll notice in a shop but something that can feel life changing on noisy gigs.[/size][/color]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1467895546' post='3087111']
That's all great, but...how does it work? It's not a port as such? Or it's a smaller port, which then increases back pressure on the drivers as they excurse?
[/quote]

Alex says it's not a port, but the 'port' still has air coming out of it. And if you look into the 'port' there are... shenanigans. I have NO idea how it works - I'm assuming it's all in the MAFFS, at which I am useless. What I do know is, the Two10 will take a whole frigging shedful of LOW without any apparent complaint whatsoever, but still has clarity and good definition. It comes on more like a 2X12 or a 4X10 - and then some. I'm really looking forward to gigging it on Sunday - it's an outdoor venue, so it'll be a good test.

Edited by discreet

Tried to take a couple of pics by shining a light down the 'port'. There are... [i]things [/i]in there. I carefully stuck my hand in the port and could feel shaped ply things and soft damping things. I had trouble getting my hand out - like a monkey with a fistful of peanuts in a jam-jar - and for a wild moment I imagined I'd have to spend the rest of my life with a Two10 at the end of my arm, but I got out in the end. Warning: Don't stick your hand in there! Conclusion: Someone much cleverer than me has made this. :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1467896641' post='3087127']
Bugger, I'm away next week, I'll miss the sale on Monday :mellow:
[/quote]

Ha! :lol: If the cab performs well at gigs it's not going anywhere.
I reckon one of these (and an Eight10) would sort you for ANY situation. ;)

In fact, three 12ohm Two10s would probably do it - 4ohms total.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1467896641' post='3087127']
Bugger, I'm away next week, I'll miss the sale on Monday :mellow:
[/quote]

Like you're not going to be trying to log on from a coconut or something by the second day... :D

Everyone's a comedian :lol: (think I may have said that before :blush: )

Heads up Muzz, your superb Streamliner 900 will be back up the week after next, I'm getting a 600 (long and inevitably stupid story :lol: ).

PS, Mark, LOVE that shot of the P and rig :gas:

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1467961729' post='3087532']
Mark, LOVE that shot of the P and rig :gas:
[/quote]

Thanks Karl. Your Road Worn has had the KiOgon treatment and sports an orange Sprague Pacer cap. Lush and velvety!
Can also do Thundery! ;)

Edited by discreet

Thanks for the pics Karlfer. I'm not smart enough to figure it out, but I guess if Alex wants to share how it works, he will, and if he doesn't, he won't. Just looks like a port to me, and I'm guessing whatever happens in there, it is partially occluded to cause some of the desired effect.

Anyway, will try and play through one of these at The Great British Bass Lounge at some point.

Edited by funkle

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1467963564' post='3087546']
Just looks like a port to me, and I'm guessing whatever happens in there, it is partially occluded to cause some of the desired effect.
[/quote]

Don't be fooled by the pics - the lighting and the way I had to take the pic foreshortens everything and makes it look like the ply is close to the 'port', but it's actually a good 30cm (12") from the outer surface of the cab. And as the cab is 60cm (24") tall vertically overall, that's quite some enclosure.

As I understand it, a port has just one tuning frequency. The hybrid resonator has two tuning frequencies, one lower than a typical port-tuning frequency and one higher (hence the 'hybrid' bit). The overall effect gives you extended lows that you otherwise wouldn't get from a relatively small box like the Two10. Or something.

I could be wrong of course and would be delighted to stand (or sit) corrected. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467962835' post='3087544']
Thanks Karl. Your Road Worn has had the KiOgon treatment and sports an orange Sprague Pacer cap. Lush and velvety!
Can also do Thundery! ;)
[/quote]

Little off topic, what does the Sprague pacer cap do?
The Kiogon treatment you mean a new wiring harness yes? Again, what does this do?
I am genuinely interested too, not trying to start anything :lol:

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1467968556' post='3087592']
Little off topic, what does the Sprague pacer cap do?
The Kiogon treatment you mean a new wiring harness yes? Again, what does this do?
I am genuinely interested too, not trying to start anything :lol:
[/quote]

Sprague Pacer 0.1uF cap cuts more treble (i.e. makes it 'darker') when you roll off the tone control on a passive P.

John fitted new CTS pots, Switchcraft Jack and vintage wiring as well because the volume pot had seen better days and I thought while I'm on, I may as well get the lot replaced, thus negating any worries regarding reliability and so on. At least for a good while, anyway. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467969508' post='3087603']
Sprague Pacer 0.1uF cap cuts more treble (i.e. makes it 'darker') when you roll off the tone control on a passive P.

John fitted new CTS pots, Switchcraft Jack and vintage wiring as well because the volume pot had seen better days and I thought while I'm on, I may as well get the lot replaced, thus negating any worries regarding reliability and so on. At least for a good while, anyway. :)
[/quote]

I thought it was a reliability thing. Good to get confirmation though.

The sprague cap mod sounds interesting. Something i will definitely look at. Where or how do you connect it?

Edited by FuNkShUi

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1467970674' post='3087618']
Where or how do you connect it?
[/quote]

It's soldered in where the original cap goes, I presume... I'm not that great with electronics or a soldering iron, which is why I make the trek to the south coast to visit John in his man-cave and get [i]him [/i]to do it. Always a pleasure and never a chore. :)

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1467975191' post='3087694']
I didn't think you could get darker than a P with the tone rolled off!
[/quote]

Who said that?? [JOKE]

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1467970674' post='3087618']
I thought it was a reliability thing.
[/quote]

Also I forgot to mention, the jack socket was loose and my lead wasn't locating firmly enough for my liking.

Edited by discreet