Why become a member? ×

Looking for a kick up the arse...

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1465024346' post='3064683']
Bands and groups do evolve in directions that don't suit everyone over time , but openess is the key to making decisions and being fair and honest about it , rehearsing new members behind your back is clearly wrong
[/quote]

+1 Very crappy behaviour on the part of your former bandmates. There's no call for that.

Take a break, don`t sell your gear, and unless you like watching live bands don`t even go and see any. Let your love of music come back to you naturally. It will. How long is different for all of us. I did similar in the early 90s, took about 5 years out. Didn`t play, didn`t buy any music, didn`t watch any bands, had nothing to do with it. Then on an impulse bought a guitar and have been in bands ever since.

Indulge yourself, Find something that floats your boat musically and aim for that. Do something that you Love.

Nothing wrong with Classic rock but most guitarists around middle age want to play that or the Blues, Me I love Alt Country or Funk and
That will be my next calling after my band splits.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1465034518' post='3064786']
Take a break, don`t sell your gear, and unless you like watching live bands don`t even go and see any. Let your love of music come back to you naturally. It will. How long is different for all of us. I did similar in the early 90s, took about 5 years out. Didn`t play, didn`t buy any music, didn`t watch any bands, had nothing to do with it. Then on an impulse bought a guitar and have been in bands ever since.
[/quote]

This is pretty much exactly what I'm doing now, apart from the fact that I have sold my gear. Stopped going to see bands last September, and even though I used to love going to gigs I'm not missing it at all. Hardly if ever listen to music these days either, and when I do I don't really get anything from it.
Not really expecting the music spark to reignite if I'm honest but never say never.

Edited by RhysP

There's no law that says you HAVE to stick to the same thing your entire life. In fact, I find that prospect rather depressing, though I appreciate others will feel differently. There's room for all types, but never feel pressurised or obliged to do something if you're not totally happy to do so. It's too easy to get into a rut, and music can be just as much a rut as anything else.

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1464990154' post='3064563']
Hmm, ... here comes a twopenneth :
You can play and read percussion , play and learning to read bass , so how about taking up ( wait for it )........ vibraphone ?
Understanding melody and harmony would compliment your rhythm and bass knowledge . Vibes is an unusual instrument nowadays and you already would intuit half the technique , the rest would grow with learning harmony and melody at your own pace .
Just experiment with a harmony/melody instrument ,(even ukulele!) , till you find your own sound .

- Plan B : get an upright . :)
[/quote]

I'd also vote for taking up a new instrument just for the hell of it - whatever tickles your fancy. It may lead you to some unexpected places.

It'll come back round to something to suit you, but as the other guys have said, take a break and let things take their course for a bit. At least then when something good comes along you'll have time to spend on it.

I took a break of about two years out of playing about 2002-2004 after a messy band breakup - same thing of half the band wanting something different from the other half, and as soon as a pressurised situation came along Boom! It all fell apart quite acrimoniously.

So yeah, enjoy the break, get back into your music for its own sake, not cos you're having to learn pub rock songs, and see how it pans out. Good luck with it fella!

I've just been asked if I was interested in joining a band that do originals in Glasgow. As it happens, I wasn't into the particular type of music, but it was an 'older' band and it didn't sound anything like Classic rock/GnR. PM me and I'll pass the details on.

Ralph

[quote name='RalphDWilson' timestamp='1465644908' post='3069889']
I've just been asked if I was interested in joining a band that do originals in Glasgow. As it happens, I wasn't into the particular type of music, but it was an 'older' band and it didn't sound anything like Classic rock/GnR. PM me and I'll pass the details on.

Ralph
[/quote]

That's very generous... and PM'd :)

I stopped early 90's and got back into it when i turned 50 in 2010.
I've played with several bands whether it be tribute, cover or originals.
There are a lot of bands out there loking for bassists, some simply for fun and some wanting to play regularly.
I'm sure a lot of the material you were doing will be in the set list of existing bands loking for a bassist.
Have a squint thru Bandmix, Join My Band and even Gumtree to see no end of bands looking ofr people with experience.
Don't let the age thing put you off. Its surprising how many of us 50 and 60 something bassists are out there holding it all together.

Give yourself a wee break and you'll soon find the desire to play comes flooding back.

All the best whatever you decide.

Dave

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1464987441' post='3064533']
I've never been to a jam night. I dunno. I really don't fancy it at all. I have a vision of people who know every song ever written or can just make stuff up on the spot. Both are pretty disturbing thoughts :unsure:
[/quote]

copperfield road

endlessly

ad nauseam

hope this helps