Why become a member? ×

Looking for a kick up the arse...

This is partly one those "all musicians are bastards!" posts but please bear with me.

Firstly, I'm a 50-something player and I've been playing for about 15 years, mostly in covers bands. Before that I was a drummer since I was about 10! I'm competent but no expert - I've played hundreds of gigs - pubs, weddings, functions blah blah blah.

Anyhoo... I've been playing in quite a successful covers band for a few years and - I won't bore you with the details - the drummer and I effectively got kicked out because we wouldn't play every night of the week like the singer and lead guitarists wanted to (we both have proper jobs). They'd been rehearsing replacements behind our backs as it turned out. That was a kick in the teeth but never mind, that's in the past.

Anyway, I have been left with zero motivation. I've sold loads of gear, PA, van the lot and am left with a couple of basses and my decent rig. I can't stand the thought of starting from scratch knocking on pub doors. In any case I can stand even less the idea of playing pub covers fayre any more. The thought of Paul Rodgers turns my stomach!! And anyway, all musicians are bastards.

I've been actively learning to read the dots (I was a percussion sight-reader back in the day, and that got me theatre gigs and stuff) on the off chance that leads to something. But, to be honest, I'm a hairs-breadth away from selling up and taking up knitting.

Bright ideas appreciated :-)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1464983936' post='3064484']... taking up knitting.

Bright ideas appreciated :-)
[/quote]

Top tip: don't start out on gloves. Do a scarf or two, then a bobble hat.

You'll end up with G.A.S just the same, though...

... or worse...

Wish I could take the job, I want to play every night.

I do this for a living and while we play about 80 shows a year and I want more. I'm 63.

In the only one in the band that doesn't have or want. "Proper " job.

"Proper" Hell, I was a a Workers Compensation Claims Administrator for 35 years, not proper in my book. I hated it.

Playing bass guitar and singing in a rock & roll band, now that's what I call a proper job.

I think when people in bands are in different stages of life sooner or later a major conflict will raise it's head.

Blue

[quote name='smaz' timestamp='1464986996' post='3064530']
Hit up some jam nights & enjoy it for a bit :)
[/quote]

In my neck of the woods jam nights are lame. Mostly amateur, newbies,wanabees and guys that can't find a band.

No thanks.

Blue

Edited by blue

If you ask me this gives you the perfect opportunity to start afresh. No motivation to do covers then why not start your own thing. Your not that old I bet there are loads of local guys wanting to do something different.
Could be really fun even starting at the bottom.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1464989166' post='3064547']
Wish I could take the job, I want to play every night.

I do this for a living and while we play about 80 shows a year and I want more. I'm 63.

In the only one in the band that doesn't have or want. "Proper " job.

"Proper" Hell, I was a a Workers Compensation Claims Administrator for 35 years, not proper in my book. I hated it.

Playing bass guitar and singing in a rock & roll band, now that's what I call a proper job.

I think when people in bands are in different stages of life sooner or later a major conflict will raise it's head.

Blue
[/quote]

I'm sure we all know how old you are.
I hope I have that motivation when I'm your age.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1464986705' post='3064524']
It's cool. I'm not miserable. More, "oh, what am I going to do now?"
[/quote]

Focus on finding the right band for you.

It's tough finding publicly advertised openings for working bands.

Here the only ads run are for no work originals bands and start ups that won't be together long enough to see their 1st gig.

Blue

Edited by blue

I quite like my day job, but getting up at 06:30 to take the dog for a run down the woods is a bit restricting. Can't be getting in at 2am the night before.

But that's the problem. As soon as half the band is doing it for fun and the other half for the money you have a big problem brewing up.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1464989444' post='3064551']

I'm sure we all know how old you are.
I hope I have that motivation when I'm your age.
[/quote]

If playing was a calling and not merely a choice you made you will have the motivation.

Blue

* Everyone here does not know my age. I don't think,

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1464989625' post='3064556']
I quite like my day job, but getting up at 06:30 to take the dog for a run down the woods is a bit restricting. Can't be getting in at 2am the night before.

But that's the problem. As soon as half the band is doing it for fun and the other half for the money you have a big problem brewing up.
[/quote]

Yes, to everything. I'm still in my band, because when I joined they wanted to gig as much as possible. That has recently changed.

I know where your coming from. If my band broke up, finding an established working band would be close to impossible.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1464989661' post='3064557']

If playing was a calling and not merely a choice you made you will have the motivation.

Blue

* Everyone here does not know my age. I don't think,
[/quote]

Indeed.

I can say with certainty your famous on here and every regular knows your age.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1464989359' post='3064550']
If you ask me this gives you the perfect opportunity to start afresh. No motivation to do covers then why not start your own thing. Your not that old I bet there are loads of local guys wanting to do something different.
Could be really fun even starting at the bottom.
[/quote]

Good idea, however starting and leading a band is not something all of us can do. I can't, plus you really have nothing but a pipe dream to offer potential candidates for a New band.

And if your going to work you would need an expensive proper pa.

Blue

Edited by blue

Hmm, ... here comes a twopenneth :
You can play and read percussion , play and learning to read bass , so how about taking up ( wait for it )........ vibraphone ?
Understanding melody and harmony would compliment your rhythm and bass knowledge . Vibes is an unusual instrument nowadays and you already would intuit half the technique , the rest would grow with learning harmony and melody at your own pace .
Just experiment with a harmony/melody instrument ,(even ukulele!) , till you find your own sound .

- Plan B : get an upright . :)

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1464989926' post='3064560']

Indeed.

I can say with certainty your famous on here and every regular knows your age.
[/quote]

Wonderful, fame with no money.😅

Typical Yankee, right?

Blue

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1464990154' post='3064563']
Hmm, ... here comes a twopenneth :
You can play and read percussion , play and learning to read bass , so how about taking up ( wait for it )........ vibraphone ?
Understanding melody and harmony would compliment your rhythm and bass knowledge . Vibes is an unusual instrument nowadays and you already would intuit half the technique , the rest would grow with learning harmony and melody at your own pace .
Just experiment with a harmony/melody instrument ,(even ukulele!) , till you find your own sound .

- Plan B : get an upright . :)
[/quote]

My background was orchestral percussion. I've played Xylophone in the Royal Albert Hall (yes really!). Vibrophones, unfortunately, are immensely expensive.

It is an interesting point you make....

Edited by thepurpleblob

My background was percussion too . I had lessons from James Blades when I was a whippersnapper . Doing " A " level music at school I found the aural harmony and melody tests so difficult I taught myself piano and organ so that I could understand the theory better . Then when I left school I landed work 6 nights a week playing piano and copying for a Music Publishers during the day . Never played drums again . :lol:

Now , coming back to music after a complete break for 25 years and trying to learn upright I get great enjoyment from picking a song I know on piano , reducing it to a bassline and trying to play it on upright whilst singing (and maybe ending at the same pitch I started :D ). The process has taught me more about music and what makes good songwriting in these last couple of years than I had learned in the previous 40 .

Ukuleles are fun and inexpensive too.

Try a different tack - wind bands / symphonic/concert wind bands often need bass players to play the string bass part, but electric is going to be fine (the band I play sax in has two). You'll have to play from dots and follow a conductor...

Edited by zbd1960

[quote name='zbd1960' timestamp='1464993614' post='3064597']
Try a different tack - wind bands / symphonic/concert wind bands often need bass players to play the stirng bass part, but electric is gogin to be fine (the band I play saxin has two). You'llhave to play from dots and follow a conductor...
[/quote]

In my head I think that's where I might be heading. I played (drums) briefly in a "big band" that had electric bass. That was fun. As you say, 100% reading the dots. I don't find that remotely daunting except that I can't do it proficiently on bass (yet) :angry:

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1464993290' post='3064594']

...trying to play it on upright whilst singing (and maybe ending at the same pitch I started :D ).
[/quote]

You're probably already familiar this, but just in case you aren't, it's superb.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zQmhQyCMvig

Edited by SICbass

Bands and groups do evolve in directions that don't suit everyone over time , but openess is the key to making decisions and being fair and honest about it , rehearsing new members behind your back is clearly wrong

Edited by lojo

Be patient blobby. Take some time off playing and don't think about it for a week or two. Set a date when you will pick it up and have a practice, say two weeks from today and forget about it. Then when that day rolls around, (hopefully you may even be looking forward to it) pick up your bass and play your favourite song. If it doesn't make you giddy, put it back down and try again in another week.
If you find you fail to get a buzz after 2 or 3 attempts, it may well be time to give it up.
I have tried this technique myself and encouraged my drummer to do the same, we are both still playing 😄

It is a kick in the nuts when bands you have poured work into fall apart for whatever reason, take your time, lick your wounds and try again when you are ready.