Why become a member? ×

Who actually feels 100% happy with what they've got?...

Josh

Perfectly happy with my gig set up. The Precision looks and sounds beautiful and never lets me down. The Stagg is simply awesome and the only thing that can improve it is my learning how to play it properly. As for the Ashdown, they may have their detractors, but I am more than happy with the sound I get from it.

So, am I 100% happy? Yes! Well almost...

You see I have this battered old Hohner jazz lying around upstairs, gathering dust and I was thinking maybe a bassass bridge, EMG-J pickups, change the tuners and the straplocks from chrome to black so it all matches, just as a project, you understand. Shouldn't cost more than £260, surely.

Oh yeah, then there's the Tascam MPBT1 MP3 Bass Trainer and I always fancied an Ashdown Freebass wireless setup and the 'Ray and $$ I tried at the bass bash were awesome...

Edited by Andyalfa

Love my gear, really really happy with it all.

Wish I had about ten times as much time and energy to practice as I do (two kids, much DIY and work mean my 'free' time is about 1 evening a week from something like 9:30pm).

So my playing sucks compared to where I'd love it to be (some of you guys who post Garrison technique stuff on youtube are making me feel very very lowly indeed - you know who you are :)), and my theory and application thereof is way off where it once was (thats what a loooong break does for you).

Still I'm going to plod on and try and get reading again as soon as I've got my head around the 5 string neck completely: its doing my brain in still, but at least its feeling far more normal than it did when I got it!

[quote]The last time I was happy with my gear, playing etc was when I got my '72 4001. Through my Trace AH150 (original series) and 4x10 (likewise) it was the sound I'd always had in my head; the old band was playing a lot, I was in great physical shape, was playing for hours a day, was on top of my game in all ways except in terms of theory.

When my back problems started I had to sell the rig and I've never been happy with my sound since. None of the lightweight solutions I've played so far have "my" sound. I hardly get any practice in now for reasons many and varied, my back and neck appear fairly knackered and I now seem incapable of making my right arm do exactly what it's supposed to for a whole set, the band I'm in struggles to get gigs (and appears to be cursed in terms of personal disasters!), you name it, it's crap. In fact recently I was beginning to struggle with the concept of playing at all as all it seemed to do was make me miserable. Still, we plod on, hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel.

That's my happy post for the day.[/quote]

Hehe, if you ever need to fondle a CS I've got one as you know and you're welcome - C64S too.

I have a very lightweight Bass Collection that is probably going on the market soon too.

Peter

I'm very happy with my gear. If something comes up that sounds better, as opposed to different, I'll have a listen but I think I've pretty much got there.

I now need to move up a gear and concentrate on improving my playing so I'm going through a cycle of training, education and practice. That's where the money's going these days.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='josh3184' post='424611' date='Mar 3 2009, 10:28 PM']love my $$ to a disturbing level, never been this happy with a bass[/quote]

[quote name='budget bassist' post='424643' date='Mar 3 2009, 10:56 PM']+1000000!!!! This is the first time i've been GAS free for a while, thanks to my $$! :)[/quote]

Completely fabulous aren't they!! I want a fretless $$ in white high polish now.

[quote name='neilb' post='300019' date='Oct 5 2008, 05:09 PM']You know its right when you hit that B note on the E string, makes yer ribs flex...............ahhhhh![/quote]

What is it about the B on the E string that makes it sound so much fatter, deeper and louder than say the A or G or C on the E string?? I thought it was just me but maybe not.

[quote name='ped' post='294958' date='Sep 29 2008, 09:35 PM']Couldn't be happier :0)[/quote]

Me too - just waiting for my Sei J and then I'll have the full set - and yes I love my Epifani gear - I've not heard anything better (yet) and I'm so much happier with it than my EBS stuff - it just suits me better is all.

M

Great thread this.

Bass wise I have what I want which is a Musicman Stingray, Fender Jazz 70's re-issue and now the Lakland Duck Dunn Precision. However, still not totally sure yet if its perfect but I have no plans to get rid of them.

The Stingray sounds amazing, feels amazing and has one of the best necks ever. However it has always sounded punchy but thin. Great tone but I can never get anything driving out of it. It also has that clanky tiny noise that seems to be common with the Stingray. If I turn the bass tone up it sounds fuller but then you lose the classic Stingray tone so I don't seem to be able to win. If I was to play Foo Fighters or Green Day where they play a lot of 8's it just sounds thin compared to a fender. It seems to suit finger style more and bass lines with more movemement like funk, pop etc rather than driving rock or punk.

The Fender Jazz on the other hand is very full, punchy and sounds amazing. However, it does have a tendancy to sound a little wooly and somewhat bland but that may be the amp. The neck does feel incredible though.

The Lakland Duck Dunn I have just got and so not had chance to try sound wise or even feel as it has just gone into a luthier but fingers crossed its going to sound like a true precison. Fat, punchy, clanky, full and driving.

As for my rig, I have an Ashown MAG 300H, an Ashdown MAG 1 x 15 and 2 x10. They sound great but I have always got in the back my head this feeling thats its going to blow up. No idea whay as I have had no problems with them but for some reason, it just feels fragile and is going to blow up. Maybe it just feels cheap.

[quote name='silddx' post='425172' date='Mar 4 2009, 03:28 PM']Completely fabulous aren't they!! I want a fretless $$ in white high polish now.[/quote]
mm, yeah, i definitely wouldn't say no to another, i've actually been GASing for a streamer $$ a little bit, but my corvette fulfills everything i need in a bass. So much growl it's unbelievable!
I'm feeling the $$ love!

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='425459' date='Mar 4 2009, 07:33 PM']i've actually been GASing for a streamer $$ a little bit[/quote]

There's a gorgeous limited edition one in GAK at the moment, zebrano, pearl inlay at the 12th fret. It's 5 string though.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='425468' date='Mar 4 2009, 07:39 PM']There's a gorgeous limited edition one in GAK at the moment, zebrano, pearl inlay at the 12th fret. It's 5 string though.[/quote]

I can't stand this obsession so many bassists have with SEEING THE WOOD! Don't get me wrong, I love the look of wood - but only as furniture or on those wimpy guitar things, of which I have a few with natural finishes. So many high end basses have hideous natural finishes with highly figured woods, laminates, bindings, inlays. They look so horribly MUSICIANLY. I would be embarrassed going on stage with one because they look so uncool. I probably have emotional issues you can help me deal with.

[quote name='silddx' post='425477' date='Mar 4 2009, 07:52 PM']I can't stand this obsession so many bassists have with SEEING THE WOOD! Don't get me wrong, I love the look of wood - but only as furniture or on those wimpy guitar things, of which I have a few with natural finishes. So many high end basses have hideous natural finishes with highly figured woods, laminates, bindings, inlays. They look so horribly MUSICIANLY. I would be embarrassed going on stage with one because they look so uncool. I probably have emotional issues you can help me deal with.[/quote]

Each to their own obviously - but funnily enough I actually agree with but I just can't stand the thought of not playing my seriously great basses on a gig - that's why I got them. In a pefect world I'd have a beat up four banger for everything but the one I've seen costs 5K... doh!

M

[quote name='silddx' post='425477' date='Mar 4 2009, 07:52 PM']I can't stand this obsession so many bassists have with SEEING THE WOOD! Don't get me wrong, I love the look of wood - but only as furniture or on those wimpy guitar things, of which I have a few with natural finishes. So many high end basses have hideous natural finishes with highly figured woods, laminates, bindings, inlays. They look so horribly MUSICIANLY. I would be embarrassed going on stage with one because they look so uncool. I probably have emotional issues you can help me deal with.[/quote]

I feel the same way. I do have one natural-finish bass but it's my Thumb, small body, the wood doesn't have an obvious grain, it's not lacquered, black hardware, no markers on the fingerboard, it's not a brash-looking bass at all.

When I see people with highly figured tops, especially stained green or blue and with gold hardware I just think... I look too scruffy to wear something like that. I'd have to put a suit on and maybe get gold teeth or something.

I think when people spend a lot of money on a bass, they usually want it to look like they spent a lot of money on it. It's all a bit Essex.

I know what you mean, on some high end basses it really does look bad, like some burls really look nasty to me, but maybe not to others. I think Simon1964's singlecut with the natural ebony top looks really slick, i love that, not to busy looking. I like natural maple and like simpler woods if you know what i mean, not figured, but there is a limit, for me anyway. Though i do love a nice quilt/flame maple top with a nice trans finish over it, mmmmm.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='425468' date='Mar 4 2009, 07:39 PM']There's a gorgeous limited edition one in GAK at the moment, zebrano, pearl inlay at the 12th fret. It's 5 string though.[/quote]
just looked at it, not a big fan of zebrano, or that style of MM pickup, not good for resting your thumb on. Not a big fan of fivers either, each to their own!

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='425620' date='Mar 4 2009, 11:14 PM']I know what you mean, on some high end basses it really does look bad, like some burls really look nasty to me, but maybe not to others. I think Simon1964's singlecut with the natural ebony top looks really slick, i love that, not to busy looking. I like natural maple and like simpler woods if you know what i mean, not figured, but there is a limit, for me anyway. Though i do love a nice quilt/flame maple top with a nice trans finish over it, mmmmm.

just looked at it, not a big fan of zebrano, or that style of MM pickup, not good for resting your thumb on. Not a big fan of fivers either, each to their own![/quote]

Quite right, sir! Burl is French for bullsh*t.

You can tell I've had my customary 12 units for the evening can't you :)

I'm getting close to happy now. The Sandberg does everything I could ask of it, and with flats on it now, it's the sound I've had in my head for ages.

The only thing that scares me is the prospect of falling out of love with my 'Ray! It was my dream bass since the day I started playing, and I was always happy with it in the past, but it's not been touched in months. I used it for a rehearsal last week and it just didn't sound 'right'. Got the Sandberg out for the second run through and it all fell into place. I swore I'd always keep the Stingray as it was my first 'good' bass, but I'm starting to doubt myself now :s

The only other thing bugging me is that I could do with changing my cab setup, for practicality and storage reasons, but I love the tone so much. I'm worried I'll get something else and be disappointed.

[quote name='silddx' post='425477' date='Mar 4 2009, 07:52 PM']I can't stand this obsession so many bassists have with SEEING THE WOOD![/quote]
Just look at how bloody awful painted Fenders look after about five minutes, with that special paint they use that wears out in milliseconds. It takes a lot of damage to make a wood finish bass look tatty.

[quote name='mike257' post='425731' date='Mar 5 2009, 07:49 AM']I'm getting close to happy now. The Sandberg does everything I could ask of it, and with flats on it now, it's the sound I've had in my head for ages.

The only thing that scares me is the prospect of falling out of love with my 'Ray! It was my dream bass since the day I started playing, and I was always happy with it in the past, but it's not been touched in months. I used it for a rehearsal last week and it just didn't sound 'right'. Got the Sandberg out for the second run through and it all fell into place. I swore I'd always keep the Stingray as it was my first 'good' bass, but I'm starting to doubt myself now :s

The only other thing bugging me is that I could do with changing my cab setup, for practicality and storage reasons, but I love the tone so much. I'm worried I'll get something else and be disappointed.[/quote]
The same thing has happened with my SUB bass mate, i had wanted one for ages, finally got it and it was my number one... but the $$ just seems to taken that spot within a matter of days, a little bit upsetting really! I won't sell it though.

Edited by budget bassist