Why become a member? ×

Does no one want to make Prog Music?

JamesTun

Try Bandmix. They have a section for Progressive. I've used it and been in few Prog bands over past few years.
On-line radio station Rock Radio has a Prog night and can be found playing up and coming Central Scotland prog bands along with traditional and experimental type bands. Well worth a listen to and you get the details of each band from the Presenter of the show.
http://www.rockradio.com/progressiverock
They are on now.

Quite a few of the late 70's / 80's prog bands are making themselves known again and are doing well. Local band Comedy of Errors and Pallas are still producing some exceptional albums and touring extensively throughout the year.

I must admit tho that i have been looking for a Prog covers / originals band but unable to get suitable musicians that want to do same. It seems to be mostly bass players and drummers that prefer Prog for some reason.
Very few keyboard players into it and guitarists struggle to play it unless exceptionally talented covering bands like Hackett, UK, Camel etc

Dave

Won't help, but would recommend a listen to Dave Bainbridge's Celestial Fire album.
Dave is, and always has been, just a prodigy, but he's worked stupidly hard as well.
I had the honour of going to school with him, and being in a couple of bands with him in the 70's.
I was 17, he was 16, the band did a night club in Darlington. We did America (The Nice version). At 16, on a little Fender Rhodes, Dave did the lot.
Currently on tour in America playing keys for The Strawbs, his main squeeze is IONA, although he did the Queens thing in the Park, played for Jack Bruce and countless others. He does a lot with GB3 as well.
When I was with Troyen, he offered to put some keys on if we sent the master over to his studio. The other three muppets declined his offer :angry: .
Phenomenal musician and one of the nicest guys you will meet.
AND STILL CHAMPIONING PROG :D

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12isbLP8Sf0"]https://www.youtube....h?v=12isbLP8Sf0[/url]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn31A36Dp8Q"]https://www.youtube....h?v=Xn31A36Dp8Q[/url]

If you like prog, buy Celestial Fire by Dave Bainbridge

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1463986389' post='3055447']
My advice if you want to play prog? Relocate to the continent. Poland, Holland, Germany, even ex USSR states. They love their prog over there!

* BTW, Pendragon hail from the West Country, or at least main songwriter/singer/guitarist Nick Barratt comes from Stroud... B)
[/quote]

It's very strong in the Scandinavian countries too, has been for some time. As for the Pendies I saw them last weekend, had a chat with Pete Gee after the gig. Nick was full of man flu so I didn't get to see him after the show.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1464168850' post='3057054']
If you like prog, buy Celestial Fire by Dave Bainbridge
[/quote]

Had it for a while, good album. I would have gone to see him at an upcoming CRS gig in Sep but its the day I come back from Crete and I'll probably be knackered.

• 3 months later...

Nearly 6 months on, I hasten to say I've still not found any band in the progressive metal genre that is advertising. It's pointless. There was one band I liked the sound of, but I'm not doing a 3 guitar band, or even a 2 quite frankly.

Frankly, this is depressing in the extreme for me as its making me realise that I'll probably never play live again. I'm not ever going to be interested in covers and I want to be challenged creatively.

Alas, everyone has formed indie bands starting with "the" and relocated to Horton to wear drainpipe jeans. Plus, I'm in my mid/late 30's now so age has become more of a factor.

Even if my own definition of "progressive" is narrow, I just don't believe it when folk say there's a load of bands looking as they just don't exist.

[quote name='JamesTun' timestamp='1463227763' post='3049726']
HI,

Just messaging this out of interest if anyone has or in a prog style band and wondering where the best places in the country for that genre are? I've been looking around in Yorkshire and can't seem to find anything. I like playing simple funk stuff but eventually I would like to make music of that ilk. Yorkshire is like the biggest county outside London as well..I know this isn't Joinmyband or anything but I'm interested if anyone has any success.
[/quote]

Probably a bit late in the day, but I spotted this ad while searching for a new band after moving to Lincs earlier this year. Unfortunately it's not really my sort of thing (especially as it's the nearest in terms of distance that's come up so far :rolleyes: )...

[url="http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/bassist-for-new-prog-band-t893264.html"]http://www.joinmyban...nd-t893264.html[/url]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1463231225' post='3049761']
"Does no one want to make Prog Music?"

([i]Loud shouts from all directions[/i]...) [size=6]NO, NO-ONE..![/size]

[size=6] :lol:[/size][size=6] [/size][size=6] :P[/size]
[/quote]
Sorry, no
Not me either

[quote name='JamesTun' timestamp='1463387573' post='3050841']
I'm originally from Reading where all the guys from Tesseract all worked in a guitar shop called Guitar Works.
[/quote]

Hi bass players and prog fans of the world! My friend Jonno sent me a link to this forum post and I chuckled to myself a bit... Jonno was the manager for Guitarworks in Reading before it sadly closed. He's also the bassist in my band 'Heights'. A proggy three piece from Reading. www.facebook.com/heightsuk

My other band is Tesseract (I play drums). Not that it particularly matters but no one in Tess' lived in Reading (apart from me) nor did they work at Guitarworks. However, a few talented guys from local bands did work there, including Josh Middleton from Sylosis!

Huge shame that place closed down really.

My son is in what he calls a prog band in Aberdeen ... Orynthia, they're called.

He surpassed me in technical ability some years ago :) and continues to make me look stupid with his knowledge of time signatures, strange picking techniques and something he calls "djent" ...

There seems to be a large group of youngsters (up to about age 25, I mean) like this in Aberdeen ... although many of them seem to sit at home recording stuff on ProTools and don't actually get out much.

Haken are his big faves, although Tesseract have certainly been mentioned on several occasions ... :)

Seems to me that his branch of "prog" incorporates heaps of technique and seeing how fast you can race up and down every note on every string of an 8-string guitar in a different order each time. Preferably two of you at the same time. Attention to a memorable melody is very much a secondary consideration.

But hey, best of luck to them. I'm delighted he's such a proficient musician.

[quote name='JayPostones' timestamp='1472656304' post='3122990']

Hi bass players and prog fans of the world! My friend Jonno sent me a link to this forum post and I chuckled to myself a bit... Jonno was the manager for Guitarworks in Reading before it sadly closed. He's also the bassist in my band 'Heights'. A proggy three piece from Reading. www.facebook.com/heightsuk

My other band is Tesseract (I play drums). Not that it particularly matters but no one in Tess' lived in Reading (apart from me) nor did they work at Guitarworks. However, a few talented guys from local bands did work there, including Josh Middleton from Sylosis!

[/quote]

Just want to say, you were fantastic at Koko in February. One of the best gigs I've ever seen. Looking forward to the next Tesseract album, whenever that might be.

[quote name='JayPostones' timestamp='1472656304' post='3122990']

[/quote]

It seems like I'm terribly mistaken then! I do remember jono and the store where my old guitar teacher used to work at. Shame it's been taken over by stores like Andertons within the area.

That's interesting, I always thought you guys were from Reading maybe that's because of that connection with guitar works and face bar etc. Josh from sylosis, Tom from Arusha accord, all great musicians.

Also an update on my current situation, I've since moved back to Reading to get work and a project. I'm in a math rock project and still looking around for a prog outfit, most of which are based in London which unfortunately some groups don't like the idea of travelling 30 minutes on the train...

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1472393683' post='3120762']
Behold, Prog fans:

[/quote]
At a very quick glance, this looks like the last band on the bill are a low-key bunch called 'MORE TEA'. Now that really would be quintessentially English music!:lol: