Why become a member? ×

*insert swear words here*

keefbaker

....and you only like Precisions with maple boards... On the other hand, that particular set of criteria means I'll never find one, and if I do it'd be so stratospherically expensive that I'd never be able to afford it...so I'm saving money all over the place... :)

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1461229932' post='3032601']
Just be thankful your yob isn't the early 60's and your Fenderish :)
[/quote]

Yes. A 1962 Precision is way out of my league

Given that it's a refin, my first question would be, "when was the refin done?".

The body is tatty enough that either the refin was done 20 years ago (IMHO that's acceptable wear) or it's one of those Godawful relic'd basses (in which case buy a new Roadworn or similar for way less money).

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1461231369' post='3032624']
nice bass,
where do i get me some of those points? could do with some ;)
[/quote]
Tell me about it. I spent LOADS of mine getting my Maruszczyk and my Enfield, which is why I feel this one may end up with someone else :(

Funny thing is I'm wanting a sonic blue bass... a YOB bass... And a classic fender... And this appears.

(mind you - 1973 - not exactly a classic fender year is it... I'd have been more tempted by a PEB Stingray but I was born 3 years too early)

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1461231587' post='3032627']
1973 - not exactly a classic fender year is it..?
[/quote]

Could be. You'd have to play it. Fenders started to get a bit unreliable QC-wise at this point in time, but there are certainly some really good basses to be had from the 70s. They weren't all terrible boat anchors.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1461231587' post='3032627']

(mind you - 1973 - not exactly a classic fender year is it... I'd have been more tempted by a PEB Stingray but I was born 3 years too early)
[/quote]

I wouldn't take too much notice of the oft quoted, by internet experts, nonsense about 70's Fenders.
I'm not saying that there weren't some shoddy ones and some heavy ones but honestly, there were plenty of really fine ones.

I know that Discreet has mentioned that his one is a cracker :) and I also have a 74 that is one very lovely instrument.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1461320335' post='3033615']
I wouldn't take too much notice of the oft quoted, by internet experts, nonsense about 70's Fenders.
I'm not saying that there weren't some shoddy ones and some heavy ones but honestly, there were plenty of really fine ones.

I know that Discreet has mentioned that his one is a cracker :) and I also have a 74 that is one very lovely instrument.
[/quote]

Yep, my 77-ish P (like Discreet's, a blondie) is on the heavy side but it's lovely, plays and sounds great.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1461229932' post='3032601']
Just be thankful your yob isn't the early 60's and your Fenderish :)
[/quote]

Just be thankful your yob isn't 1978 and your Fenderish :(

.... Ok, I know there are SOME good ones out there....

Edited by Chiliwailer

£2k for a refinished '73.....meh
It does look nice, but I wouldn't pay more than £1600 for it. But then we're back to this being a shop, it's going to be more expensive than the private market.

And I agree, some really fantastic 70's Fenders about, I've still never played a better Precision than my '71

Si

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1461320496' post='3033616']

Yep, my 77-ish P (like Discreet's, a blondie) is on the heavy side but it's lovely, plays and sounds great.
[/quote]

My 75 Jazz weighs a ton too, but it's the best sounding, growliest Jazz I've ever played! Apart from a slightly too big bridge pickup route it's really well made too, and the neck hasn't moved since I bought it last year!

P.s. Just to make matters worse, I've played that blue 73 in the Gallery a couple of times and it's lovely ;-)

Edited by bakerster135