Why become a member? ×

DR Fat Beams,( Marcus Miller sig strings)

bubinga5

They are fricking superb. surely its not just me who think DR strings are just something else. I put a set on my Jazz bass and they are just WOW. its like a new bass. Yes, there expensive but my word they are fantastic strings. These i think, are the best Electric bass strings ever made. just my op. but i think there there the best string made in the world today.i don't say that lightly. there expensive but they are just fab bass strings

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1461109133' post='3031609']
I tried a set once on my old Yamaha TRB4. I was distinctly underwhelmed! Died fast too. :\
[/quote]Hey thats cool you didn't dig them, but DR's going dull fast.?? i very much doubt that, maybe a bad set. Imo they are the best strings in the world.t. Thats like saying Roger Sadowsky's single coil jazz pups went flat. I'm only kidding of course because its my birthday and I've enough lager to sink many battle ships from ww1and 2

[quote name='jonnybass' timestamp='1461134329' post='3031648']
I used dr hi beams since 1993 until 18 months ago, then switched to Dunlop super steels. Not sure which is better but I love the feel of super steels right now.
[/quote]

I've gone the other way, I went from Dunlop Super Brights to Hi Beams.

I don't know if the Dunlops are super smooth but the texture of the Hi Beams felt really abrasive at first after the switch, to the point where I thought I was going to get blisters for the first time in about 25 years. I'm loving them now though.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1461157663' post='3031955']
I have a set waiting to be put on my Thunderbird. Not sure they will be a good match though. Maybe they will be best suited to a more hi-fi bass. I have never tried them before.
[/quote]

I had my Fat Beams on a 76 P bass and was in a rock band at the time. They were great.

Edited by discreet

I prefer Hi Beams to to the Fat Beams I think. I tried Super Brights on my Lakland and they sounded hideous- they seemed to really accentuate the Humbucker sound of the 55-94- but they are great on the Sire V7.
Hi Beams on Lakland, Super brights on Sire V7. Happy me.
I agree that the "Beam" DR range feel more abrasive than the Super Brights.

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1461197448' post='3032436']
I prefer Hi Beams to to the Fat Beams I think.
[/quote]

In what way do you prefer the Hi Beams? I've never tried them but I do love the Fatbeams. Just curious what the difference is.