Why become a member? ×

Help? My neck and shoulder is killing me.

Skinnytwotimes

Are you sure it's your bass?

What's your age/vocation/profession and have you changed car/office/sofa/girlfriend lately? What bass do you play and what sort of height is your strap at? If you are indeed 'skinny' (as your username implies... unless being ironic, in which case ignore/reverse the 2nd part of following advice) try going to the gym or eating a few pies/Greggs stotties :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='292295' date='Sep 25 2008, 11:15 PM']Are you sure it's your bass?

What's your age/vocation/profession and have you changed car/office/sofa/girlfriend lately? What bass do you play and what sort of height is your strap at? If you are indeed 'skinny' (as your username implies... unless being ironic, in which case ignore/reverse the 2nd part of following advice) try going to the gym or eating a few pies/Greggs stotties :)[/quote]Yeah, what Dave Grohl said. :huh:

I found it helped me to keep my back straight when playing the long sets...no more rock&roll poses/balls-out moshing cos that really f***s my neck/shoulders up! Now I take a leaf outta John Entwistles book, stand in the back and look bored :huh:

[quote name='steve-soar' post='292312' date='Sep 25 2008, 11:36 PM']Yeah, what Dave Grohl said. :huh:[/quote]

lol! :)

Edited by phil_the_bassist

Just to throw my (limited) experience into the mix, last night I played for an extended time standing up for the first time really (2+ hours at a rehersal) and my shoulder was really sore where the strap lies on it. Still a little tender the next morning (but easing). I think it's because I was really tense because I was nervous, being the first practice with a new band and all that. I'm trusting that experience will help me to relax in time.

You're probably hunching your fretting hand shoulder (possibly poor bass balance or just tension through concentration) as I get this some times. Do some shoulder, trapezius, upper back stretches and if the problem persists see an osteopath or physio.

Hi all

I have had these Aircell Straps in the shop for a while and have been using one for the last couple of months and even with my pretty heavy
vampyre have had no pain at all !

Bit cheaper than a new bass (£24)

Drop me a PM if you would like one

All the best

Darren
The Bass Merchant

[attachment=13975:DSCF1029.JPG]

Posture.
Weight of Instrument.

maybe try the slider-strap, this is a harness that goes over both shoulders.
lift your music stand higher, takes the bending neck position away.

the bottom two ideas have helped me considerably, although the surgeons diagnosis was not what I wanted.

[quote name='BigBadBass' post='293337' date='Sep 27 2008, 11:09 AM']sounds really stupid but make sure your disributing weight evenly on both feet, that really makes a difference. if you putting more weight on one foot you spine isnt straight.[/quote]

This is not stupid at all. Very wise advice. A lot of the advice here might sound a bit boring but face it what's more boring that or being a cripple. No joking. I have had a lot of trouble with my back over the last two years all due to bad posture and working practice. Now an ostiopath checks it over every two months and releases any spasm. Playing the double bass for any length of time was causing real pain now that has gone.

As you are new to the bass persevere for a while and if the problem continues then consider an osteopath. Often pain like you describe can come from bits of the body being out of balance due to bad habits we all develop throughout life.

Edited by BassBus