Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

This is 120w of full all-tube power guys ;) I think that it's enough to play every reasonable gig you can imagine with that amp without any problems ;) As I remember Leszek said me once, that to achieve size and weight of a typical WB100 as you know it right now he can't make more watts than about 120-150. When you wanna more watts then amp must be heavier and bigger than 120w version. And I guess many of today bass players, who wants as lightest and smallest amp as possible, would not accept "another SVT kind-of-size and weight tube amp" so I think that Leszek just found a sweet-spot between weight/size and power. Anything more or less would be a "compromise" in those aspects.

Edited by jb90
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Merton said:

Any news on a new batch of R400s - I'm guessing they're still some time off?

I'm in dialogue with Leszek now and again as i'm on the list for an R400.. I sent a mail yetserday with this question, so I will let you know as when i get a reply..

• Thanks 1

Facebook update:

https://www.facebook.com/HandBoxAudio/posts/pfbid0UmqrxTG7pgyUi44bJSwNbtKtHap9Zsw12rLrLmA1HWCWaEZ5SFhWAMKP5Rywfei1l

The WB-100, i.e. tube bass heads, are finally available.

We made some adjustments inside the device, but the most important change was the introduction of the Middle knob, in other words adding regulations to the middle part of the band. It was not easy, because we don't like to cut corners and insert silicon elements in the signal path that is in the tube structure. Finding a suitable inductor took a lot of trouble, but we managed. Inadequate coil becomes saturated quickly and consequently makes the sound muddy. There were plans to forget about the wooden case dedicated to this device. The reason was trivial. The production of the case is extremely labor-intensive, and therefore expensive, but hearing about it, users of the earlier series, waiting for amplifiers and fans of our production, quickly talked us out of it, so the amplifier and the case form an integral whole. On foreign bass forums, some musicians ask what and why are we introducing changes to amplifiers that sound great? There is one simple answer to this question: the one who stands still is the one who moves back. This sentence determines the development of Hand Box and humanity, pathetically speaking. We plan to have these amplifiers permanently available, but we will see how it turns out in practice.

Enjoy your shopping!

• Like 3

On 28/07/2022 at 17:25, dmccombe7 said:

I'm guessing the internal time consuming changes were seperate boards for things possibly being combined to one main pre-amp board and then a power board. Possibly using interconnecting plugs etc rather than soldered connections between boards.

That's just my own thoughts and opinion and not from HB.

As for the Contour thing being more popular in US i'm not sure i'd agree as the US amps i've had didn't have a contour knob that i can recall. (Ampeg, Mesa, Genz) The GK 1001Rbii might have had a contour but cant remember.

Dave

On 28/07/2022 at 17:31, Muzz said:

Well, the Genzlers have a contour, but that's as well as sweepable mids...everything else I've had from the US has had mids...I think Leszek might be a touch off-piste there...

I think that Leszek wrote here about the bass tone which is used in most modern American and English music today. Not so many British bass players play with scoop sound whereas Americans like that modern, scoop sound more which, I guess, suits better in ex. gospel or R&B thing which is mainly an "American music" right now. Of course there are a lot of exceptions in that case too but generally it may sounds like that. I think that Leszek definitely didn't mean anything by that. ;)

Edited by jb90

R-400 amps will begin in a couple of weeks, Currently amp cases are hand built but HB have purchased a CNC machine to cut down on build time and currently Leszek is setting up the programming for it. He says the time consuming part of amp build is the wooden cases at the moment.

Seems the WB-100 amps are in limbo.

Checking from Leszeks end the amps left Poland on 8th Aug but Pracelforce say they have not arrived. From what Leszek can find out as the sender the amps are currentli in a warehouse in UK awaiting to be processed thru customs.

Unfortunately i'm guessing customs are over whelmed since Brexit.

Hopefully at some point i will see this amp.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Update on UK-bound new WB-100s: having been marked as exported from Poland on 6th August, the Royal Mail tracker has this evening marked them (well mine but I assume its all one shipment) as arrived in UK today. A "mere" 18 days later (leading to some understandable nervousness). Still have to go through tedious wait for customs assessment, HMRC letter and paying charges before delivery. But at least my amp exists and is in the UK.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Clarky said:

Update on UK-bound new WB-100s: having been marked as exported from Poland on 6th August, the Royal Mail tracker has this evening marked them (well mine but I assume its all one shipment) as arrived in UK today. A "mere" 18 days later (leading to some understandable nervousness). Still have to go through tedious wait for customs assessment, HMRC letter and paying charges before delivery. But at least my amp exists and is in the UK.

Mine hasn't move but it left Poland 2 days after yours so hopefully i'll see some movement this week.

Keep us posted on progress and different stages to give me an idea of what to do LOL

Dave

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Weight is 35 pounds. Price is roughly £850 inc. postage but I await the dread customs charges letter ....

Link to the previous version for stats (had Contour rather than Mid control)

http://www.handbox.pl/WB-100-ALL-TUBE-p150.html

Very nice indeed Clarky. How did you get hold of it? Website doesn’t take orders.

Superb @Clarky loving the looks of it.

Hopefully mine will arrive soon now that its in the UK hub. Obviously it needs to be trucked up here too so probably be next week before i see it as they dont deliver at weekends.

Enjoy and keep us posted on what you think once you've got the hang of it.

Dave

Mine is on route to delivery depot overnight and guess what ? Parcelforce are on strike tomorrow. 

How lucky can i be. I wait 3-4 weeks for an amp and the day it will get delivered there's a strike on.

Unbelievable, just unbelievable.

Its times like this i just want to cut my bloomin wrists and have done with it. :facepalm::dash1:

Dave :laugh1:

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Mine is on route to delivery depot overnight and guess what ? Parcelforce are on strike tomorrow. 

How lucky can i be. I wait 3-4 weeks for an amp and the day it will get delivered there's a strike on.

Unbelievable, just unbelievable.

Its times like this i just want to cut my bloomin wrists and have done with it. :facepalm::dash1:

Dave :laugh1:

AAww Dave, we share your pain.. unbelievable

• Haha 1

It's gonna be interesting to hear feed back on the mid control and frequency selection options. 

Assumption that its an active mid control, center flat cut/boost.

240 useful for boosting

600 useful for cutting although I reckon the previous 1k is a cut sweet spot for Jazz and P basses..

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Clarky said:

The eagle has landed. Super build quality/QC and from my first play it sounds very fat and organic. 

20220825_145246.jpg

20220825_145254.jpg

Is that a Super Twin?

If so, it'll be like my rig. Sweet :)

I'd be really interested to hear the difference between the middle and the contour control like wot mine has. 

Enjoy!