Why become a member? ×

Fair & Festival Season 2016

blue

I'm not sure how big the fair and festival business is on your side of the pond. Here in the States, festivals and fairs are huge in the Midwest. As a matter of fact Milwaukee is also know as the "City of Festivals" As you know we host Summerfest, the world's largest music festival since 1969. We just made Paul McCartney an aggressive offer to open it this year. We had The Stones last year.

Anyway, share what's coming up on your bands horizon. Share some details on what you've got booked for festivals & fairs and how you got the booking.

Blue

Edited by blue

what's an aggressive offer? A generous one might have more chance of success!

I play a load of beer festivals, folk festivals, punk festivals, indoor and out. They're all usually fun. I don't think we've got anything massive though. We'll probably play to audiences of 500 or so

Not much, waiting to hear back from some things. Definitely doing a beer festival in June, that should be a good laugh. Won't say more until more details are finalised though. In true "it's not what you know" fashion which this industry seems to operate by, I know the guy who's organising the music for it because I played a gig for him before, and I got that gig because my wife knows him and namedropped us to him.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459337334' post='3015525']
I'm not sure how big the fair and festival business is on your side of the pond. Here in the States, festivals and fairs are huge in the Midwest. As a matter of fact Milwaukee is also know as the "City of Festivals" As you know we host Summerfest, the world's largest music festival since 1969. We just made Paul McCartney an aggressive offer to open it this year. We had The Stones last year.

Anyway, share what's coming up on your bands horizon. Share some details on what you've got booked for festivals & fairs and how you got the booking.

Blue
[/quote]

Lots of festivals, probably more than there's ever been, but we don't have the State Fair thing over here that you do over there.

Edited by RhysP

The fest & fair bookings for us seem a little slow. We have about 2 booked, a county fair and a rock & blues fest. There might be another one can't think of it right now.

I think both were inbound business. We've played both for for several years.

Blue

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1459338348' post='3015547']

Lots of festivals, probably more than there's ever been, but we don't have the State Fair thing over here that you do over there.
[/quote]

State and County Fairs.

Blue

I have only played one open air gig in my entire musical life. A charity fundraiser for Hanworth Villa football club last summer on a really hot day.
Really enjoyed it too. :D

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1459339274' post='3015567']
We just got confirmed for The Brentwood Festival which is nice an local for a change.

[url="http://brentwoodfestival.co.uk/"]http://brentwoodfestival.co.uk/[/url]
[/quote]

A lot of cool headliners.

Nice!

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459358128' post='3015803']
In terms of getting booked for the better fest or fair gigs do you find it's not how good your band is but who you know?

Blue
[/quote]

It's who you know for getting [i]any[/i] gig, frankly speaking - and I'm bloody sick of it too.

We (Til Dawn) are doing a few small festivals in Banburyshire this summer. Winter Gardens Revival in May, Deerjam in June and Bodfest in July, the latter two are well established local festivals that always draw an enthusiastic crowd come rain or shine. Can't wait - playing these are definitely highlights of our summer diary.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1459360230' post='3015832']

It's who you know for getting [i]any[/i] gig, frankly speaking - and I'm bloody sick of it too.
[/quote]

It's really tough for some bands especially those that won't accept how the game is played.

It's a big deal here in Milwaukee to be booked for Summerfest. I hear bands saying we have to practice and practice so we can get in.

They don't know that no matter how good they are if you don't know anyone your not going to play Summerfest.

Blue

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1459365880' post='3015905']
Well, I'm on the Isle of Wight... will be playing at the IOW Festival this year, have played it once before and it was an incredible experience.
[/quote]

Nice, yeah I'm basically a " play standing in an inch of piss " bar band guy. But I like how were treated at the few nice festivals we play in the Summer.

Organized, good stage, light and sound management, dressing rooms and food and drink.

Nothing wrong with being treated like a rock star once in a while.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1459378395' post='3016076']
We (Til Dawn) are doing a few small festivals in Banburyshire this summer. Winter Gardens Revival in May, Deerjam in June and Bodfest in July, the latter two are well established local festivals that always draw an enthusiastic crowd come rain or shine. Can't wait - playing these are definitely highlights of our summer diary.
[/quote]

Sounds nice, enjoy those cool gigs.

Blue

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1459360545' post='3015838']
I'm off to Costa Del Folk in Majorca in a few weeks. Looking forward to that one. Apart form that, I'm playing at a few of the rootsier festivals - Beverley Festival, Music on the Marr, Clennell Hall... always good fun.
[/quote]

Fun? Sounds absolutely dream land to me. I've been to Majorca.

Blue