Why become a member? ×

Upgrade from Squier Modified Vintage Jazz

paddy109

Trying before hand is good advice but just finding time to visit my nearest shop which is 20 miles and ball ache parking ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
The Squier Jazz I have might be nice and it certainly is immaculate but it just lacks something. It could be I am just used to my Squier CIJ precision. I do want to give another Jazz a go before deciding it's not for me 😀

I agree with other comments, the VM squiers are very good and to be honest I have never found the Mexican made fenders to be any better. The only exception, in my opinion is the Roadworn Jazz, it is incredibly good if you can live with the aesthetics.

Lakland would be worth a look too, very solid and lovely necks with a vintage fender vibe.

I remember many years ago one of my first basses was a Squier PJ, and I didn't realise how good it was until I started to look for an upgrade. I went to a few shops in London and started checking out Fender Jazzes, and I was completely disappointed, because none of the basses I tried was any better than the Squier and I just couldn't justify spending so much money just for the badge. It took a long time, and I remember that I upgraded to a MIJ Geddy Lee, it was such a great bass, sounded and felt totally amazing. So, go and try some basses, and I'd recommend looking for a second hand Japanese Geddy's, as these usually go for similar price of new MIM Jazz or even cheaper.

Edited by mr.noisy

Good advice here, make sure you try before you buy as your 'upgrade' may turn out to be a 'side grade', or even worse a downgrade!

I sold my white VM Precision years ago to fund a US Standard, which did not sound as good as the Squier.

[quote name='paddy109' timestamp='1459296578' post='3015315']

The Squier Jazz I have might be nice and it certainly is immaculate but it just lacks something.
[/quote]

I felt the VM's lacked a certain something - couldn't say what, and still bought one (I wanted to try fretless). Th eCV's I tried at the same time on the other hand definitely did have it (still don't know what though) :huh: :)

[quote name='paddy109' timestamp='1459280326' post='3015125']
Guys, I am looking to upgrade from my Squier and wonder whether a Fender Standard MIM is a good choice? The used price range certainly fits my budget.
[/quote]

You have to try them and see. Some MIM basses will definitely feel amazing, others not so much. In general I don't think you'll find it a huge upgrade. Those VM basses are pretty decent. Definitely a matter of trying basses until you find one that you feel is an improvement.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Not sure what it is that I didn't like about the VM, perhaps it was just a little too scrawny in the neck and a bit shiny and new - but that can't be it in total! I bought it in 'used' condition but essentially it was like a brand new bass.

I have only ever had my hands on a few bass guitars - making the transition from upright ;-)