Why become a member? ×

Anyone use LED floods on stage ?

Les

Thinking of a couple of floods controlled by a footswitch in front of the drums pointing just over/into the eyes of the audience.
Looking for a silhouette of the band effect full of smoke etc.

Not sure if they are suitable for this or what size LED I need,

Any thoughts/experiences appreciated

ta

Les

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1458483050' post='3007922']
The ones I'm looking at are quite flat and will be on the floor freestanding. Sort of the home garden floodlight variety, Just don't know how bright they are for the wattage. eg 20/30/50/100 watt
[/quote]

I have LED PARs. 32 light ones are nice and bright, 64 light ones can be used as anti-aircraft searchlights.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1458491088' post='3008001']
Wanting to use this(ish)

To achieve this(ish)

[/quote]

They will do the job; aim for 30w or more. Be sure to specify 6000k for 'pure white', not 2700k, which is more mellow-yellowy.
Hope this helps.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1458497159' post='3008075']
They will do the job; aim for 30w or more. Be sure to specify 6000k for 'pure white', not 2700k, which is more mellow-yellowy.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Thank you Dad, that's exactly the info I'm looking for as I didn't know how bright the various wattages were.

Les

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1458497159' post='3008075']
[/quote]

Would you mind having a squint at these for me please mate, they seem to be the right spec according to what you said

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272109079919?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

thanks

Les

As a general rule you can multiply the LED wattage by 8 to 10 to get an [i]idea[/i] of the equivalent GLS Watts (Standard filament bulb), so 30 watts LED would be like 240 - 300 Watts of standard bulb. However the technology is moving quickly. Ifyou buy new current units you might get better than this. If you buy second hand and over 5 or so years old probably somewhat less.

You need to look at the beam angle. These say 120 degrees which is a bit wider than the ones in the photo which are certainly less than 60. Most of the PAR lights are only 5-30 degrees and are spotlights rather than floodlights. The power will be plenty.

I must admit to looking at these as a very cheap solution for floodlighting. you might be better off with some of the newer COB floods with a 15-100 degree angle but they will cost a lot more. http://www.dv247.com/lighting-and-effects/lightmaxx-flat-par-cob-32w-rgb--212105

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1458499549' post='3008105']
Would you mind having a squint at these for me please mate, they seem to be the right spec according to what you said

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272109079919?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

thanks

Les
[/quote]

I have 5w LEDs in my 'workshop' floods; one cannot look directly at them. 50w are going to light up an aircraft hangar. The colour temperature 'Cool White' is exactly right; gives an ice-cold, outdoor daylight effect. The 'warmer' 2700-3000 are more like incandescent bulbs; slightly yellowish. Be aware, though, that these are not 'dimmable', and cannot be used with stage lighting dimmers. Not a concern for you right now, if you're using switches, but when you evolve to fully-controlled Dmx, these won't follow that movement. Just sayin'.
Good luck with the project.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1458501823' post='3008147']
You need to look at the beam angle. These say 120 degrees which is a bit wider than the ones in the photo which are certainly less than 60. Most of the PAR lights are only 5-30 degrees and are spotlights rather than floodlights. The power will be plenty.

I must admit to looking at these as a very cheap solution for floodlighting. you might be better off with some of the newer COB floods with a 15-100 degree angle but they will cost a lot more. [url="http://www.dv247.com/lighting-and-effects/lightmaxx-flat-par-cob-32w-rgb--212105"]http://www.dv247.com...32w-rgb--212105[/url]
[/quote]

Flood is flood, and does what it says; floods a scene with light. From the effect described (dramatic full backlighting...), I'd say these look fine. The COB lights are fully dimmable with Dmx, so are in a very different league. As part of a programmed investment, they are excellent,but for the use described by the OP, the 'rough and ready' solution will be fine. If the group takes off, based on its scenic displays, a more versatile equipment would be recommended.

Unfortunately for this, LEDS are more directional than all other forms of light source. So 120deg is probably about as wide as floods will go.

I sell LED lighting for a living. But all the floods I sell would be far too powerful for this use. Mine give 12,000 Lumens.

With lighting referring to Watts is like saying "45MPG" when someone asks what your car's top speed is. Watts are the power consumption.

At this time an LED can be as efficient as to give 170 Lumens per Watt.

I don't know the answer to your question about what output you need for this application. In my job I light schools and hospitals etc. But I'll try to find out.

Looking at the fitting suggested. This style of fitting is cheap and when installed outside seem to only last a couple of years before they burn themselves out and the driver fails, but it's worth a try on stage.

Don't forget though; without any smoke the audience won't get the effect.

3000 Lumens is less than the power of the fittings I sell to go in office ceilings, but if it's lacking you can always double them up. Besides, some of what you're using is the element of surprise on the audience. And they're looking direct at it.

Edited by Grangur

Thank you all so much for your advice and input.
Have looked at DMX (the lights are synched via DMX cables) but its getting pricey and awkward if you want to use your feet to control things. Though the Ryger FL1 unit looks interesting.

I'm already doing the sound, playing bass, singing, making sure the rest of the band are facing the right way on stage and sitting the correct way on the toilet during the break, so I've got my hands full and keeping things to a couple of footswitches is good.

If this works we end up with a decent light effect for about 28 quid inc the switch so alls good.

If it doesn't ill install them in the garden and melt cats when they come for a poo.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1458548497' post='3008376']... install them in the garden and melt cats...
[/quote]

Be aware, then, that LEDs don't 'project' heat in the same way as incandescent fixtures (although the casings can get quite hot, depending on the wattage and heat-sinking used...). The cats will be well lit up, but not 'smoked'. :(
Just sayin' ;)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1458552602' post='3008415']

Be aware, then, that LEDs don't 'project' heat in the same way as incandescent fixtures (although the casings can get quite hot, depending on the wattage and heat-sinking used...). The cats will be well lit up, but not 'smoked'. :(
Just sayin' ;)
[/quote]

Disappointing

I use the cheap rgb floods in my shop widows - they are on 24/7 and I reckon I get 12-18 months out of each (roughly)...the life expectancy seems to have got lots better as the years have gone by. As a tryout for stage, I think they'd be ideal. If I were still gigging, it's certainly the direction I would be looking to.

:)