Why become a member? ×

NBD (Well, it was actually on Saturday!) Fender Roadworn P

Marc S

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1456157696' post='2986037']
I've wanted one of these for a while. Maybe next year... Is 3 precisions too many?
[/quote]

Is 3 precisions "too many?" - Well, I've got four!
OK, one (the US) is for sale, and another is a Squier VM fretless, the other a Squier Classic Vibe (now converted to a PJ)
So when the US P sells, I'll have 3, and no, that's not too many ;)
And this from someone who, until a year or so back, didn't really like Precisions..... lol

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1456157696' post='2986037']
I've wanted one of these for a while. Maybe next year... Is 3 precisions too many?
[/quote]

Def not, I`ve a US, a MIM, and a bitsa, all in the same black/black/maple colour combo.

I'm still debating the scratchplate question. But I bought one from ebay yesterday anyway. I know I have a spare tort plate
But the one on ebay looks more red, and was only about 4 quid - so I can pop it on & see what I think, not much cash lost...

I sat down and played the bass for ages again last night, and boy, am I really loving it :) I don't know by how much the previous owners luthier had reduced the width & depth of the neck (as I've not had chance to play a RW P before), but it feels really comfortable - quite like my Squier Classic Vibe, as I'd said. Not quite as shallow as my US P, though were probably talking just a mm or 2 here

The finish of the neck is also superb. It's a very silky satin feel. Again, I'm not sure how much of that was the luthier
But this bass is my favourite P bass I've ever owned, or even played
No matter whether the P Police arrest me for changing the scratchplate Mr Discreet ;)

I agree with you 100% Marc - I've got the same model as you (albeit with the unmmodified neck) and it is definitely the best Precision I've ever had. And I've had a few......I'm only in Bridgend if you ever want to A/B yours..

Edited by LewisK1975

Hi Lewis,

Yes, wouldn't mind A/B'ing mine sometime - so keep in touch....

My RW Jazz is definitely my favourite ever Jazz too. I'm sorry to rave on & on about it, but in comparison with 2 very different US Jazzes, and other US's and MIM's (plus one MIJ Jazz) that I've tried in shops or that mates own - the RW wins hands down. Fender have turned up trumps with the Roadworn series. It was hearing glowing reports from other BC'ers that made me curious about them - so thanks BC! you've helped me find my ideal basses :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1456136695' post='2985637']

The quality, workmanship, finish and detail in both my Jazz, and my new P are superb
I think if they were built to this quality but in mint / un-roadworn finish - they'd appeal to more players
just down to the sheer quality, playability and feel of these basses...

[/quote]

Marc, they do make them unroadworn, in P basses at least, not sure about Jazz.

In black Nitro:

http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/basses/precision-bass/classic-series-50s-precision-bass-lacquer-maple-fingerboard-black/

In Red, Sunburst or Blonde poly:

http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/series/classic/50s-precision-bass-maple-fingerboard-2-color-sunburst-gold-anodized-aluminum-pickguard/

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1456228576' post='2986773']
Marc, they do make them unroadworn, in P basses at least, not sure about Jazz.

In black Nitro:

[url="http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/basses/precision-bass/classic-series-50s-precision-bass-lacquer-maple-fingerboard-black/"]http://intl.fender.c...gerboard-black/[/url]

In Red, Sunburst or Blonde poly:

[url="http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/series/classic/50s-precision-bass-maple-fingerboard-2-color-sunburst-gold-anodized-aluminum-pickguard/"]http://intl.fender.c...inum-pickguard/[/url]
[/quote]

I think they are slightly different, except for the black lacquer in your first link. The Roadworns to my knowlage are made from select light woods.. The 50's Classic arent.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1456238756' post='2986909']

I think they are slightly different, except for the black lacquer in your first link. The Roadworns to my knowlage are made from select light woods.. The 50's Classic arent.
[/quote]

Possibly. I've seen nothing to suggest a difference and all the spec sheets seem the same. Also my own 50s classic is very light, but it could easily just be a one off.

Where did you get the information re select woods?

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1456238966' post='2986913']
Possibly. I've seen nothing to suggest a difference and all the spec sheets seem the same. Also my own 50s classic is very light, but it could easily just be a one off.

Where did you get the information re select woods?
[/quote]

Maybe I made that up.. most people report the Roadworns being leightweight. I seem to remember reading somewhere maybe TB, that they used select dried woods for the resonance.. :)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1456239627' post='2986920']
Maybe I made that up.. most people report the Roadworns being leightweight. I seem to remember reading somewhere maybe TB, that they used select dried woods for the resonance.. :)
[/quote]

Yeah, the only reference I've ever found about this is some guy on talk bass who said he'd talked to some guy etc. Could be true, but then if it was why wouldn't Fender say anything about it in any of their marketing material or spec sheets? There's basically a 300 pound difference in retail price, but to me this is easily explained by the extra expense of applying nitro to the body and neck and the man hours in the roadworn finish. In any case they are all really nice basses, mines certainly a keeper.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1456238756' post='2986909']
The Roadworns to my knowledge are made from select light woods.The 50s Classic aren't.
[/quote]
[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1456238966' post='2986913']
Possibly. I've seen nothing to suggest a difference and all the spec sheets seem the same.
[/quote]

This has been baffling me for some time. Does anyone know for sure? But they are both MIM, right?

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1456240141' post='2986932']
Both MIM, on the Fender documentation, every component is the same except the neck and body finish.
[/quote]

And the 'road wear' plus the thinner, quicker-wearing finish makes the roadworn basses that much more expensive? It would make sense to buy the Classic and 'road wear' it yourself... most effectively by gigging it! Saves a few hundred pounds, no? :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1456240912' post='2986938']
And the 'road wear' plus the thinner, quicker-wearing finish makes the roadworn basses that much more expensive? It would make sense to buy the Classic and 'road wear' it yourself... most effectively by gigging it! Saves a few hundred pounds, no? :D
[/quote]

Unfortunately the only unworn Nitro model comes in Black. I don't know if its just me, but poly doesn't look so good road worn - plus it would take about 50 years to get any natural wear on it!

Edited by No. 8 Wire

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1456240912' post='2986938']
[/quote]
You'd have to try both to decide ;)

Still loving this RW P bass
When I go out to work, or anywhere else for that matter....
... I just can't wait to get home and play it again! Lol
How "sad" is that? Still, it kind of feels like its a new bass fortnight...
Off to rehearsals, to hear it through full rig tonight :)