Why become a member? ×

I am definitely going to get slagged for this but

Geek99

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1455124890' post='2976209']

Ah,

I think thats my fault. Pretty sure Mr Geek accidentally included that when he was quoting something else I'd written.

I said it, in the context that none of us are in a position to judge Adam Clayton's actual level of technical ability because we've never heard him play outside of U2.

For all we know he may be able to give Victor Wooten a run for his money but never demonstrates that side of his playing because its innapropriate for the band that he's in.

Hope that clears that up.
[/quote]
Thanks for that clarification :)
If you listen to "love comes tumbling" he is way out front

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1455124890' post='2976209']
Ah,

I think thats my fault. Pretty sure Mr Geek accidentally included that when he was quoting something else I'd written.

I said it, in the context that none of us are in a position to judge Adam Clayton's actual level of technical ability because we've never heard him play outside of U2.

For all we know he may be able to give Victor Wooten a run for his money but never demonstrates that side of his playing because its innapropriate for the band that he's in.

Hope that clears that up.
[/quote]
[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1455141561' post='2976482']
Apologies - if you examine my original post and the post it quoted you'll see I actually messed up the quote tags and I didn't say that, it was the person I was quoting

I actually thought "did I really say that ??" Till I read it carefully - I was trying to shorten the quote and made a Horlicks of it
[/quote]

Ah yes, in the context of the original comment it's much more appropriate. Which reminds me, quoting doesn't seem to work at all on the Android version of Firefox - I have to do it manually, which is even more error prone :-(

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1455143308' post='2976505']

Ah yes, in the context of the original comment it's much more appropriate. Which reminds me, quoting doesn't seem to work at all on the Android version of Firefox - I have to do it manually, which is even more error prone :-(
[/quote]

No worries

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1455106327' post='2975897']
That is "40", traditionally the last song of a show - he also plays bass on it on the "war" album
[/quote]
Yes, AC & the Edge swapped instruments for that song.
IIRC, they supported themselves a couple of times as the Dalton Brothers.

I agree that AC and U2 get unfairly slated. When I started playing some of the first songs i learnt were from The Joshua Tree or Rattle & Hum. As previous posts have stated, the bass fits the songs and works well.

I think it just becomes fashionable to slate mega successful bands - Coldplay have had the same treatment. If you don't like them, fair enough, but there's no need to slate them.

I never gave U2 much credence. I was dead against over blown stadium acts, preferring the intimacy of loud guitars in a club or hall. I think it was in '87 when my GF bought two tickets as a treat to see them on the Joshua Tree tour at Leeds Elland Road. All leading up to the day I was stubborn and grumpy about going and pretty much kept the same stance throughout the gig. Although it just happened to be one of the best I've been to. The support was The Pretenders, The Fall and The Mission who were all great. Wayne Hussey did his best to out-Bono Bono by getting into the crowd, dancing with ladies on stage and handing out roses, I'm sure he was taking the piss.
U2 were phenomenal. They had this huge expensive sound that completely worked in the setting and it was all underpinned with Mullen and Clayton's solid dum, dum, dum. The Edge flew over the top of it all and despite Bonio being (IMO) a knob he's a first rate front man. TBH, Bonio doesn't bother me at all, he IWHI and you know what you're getting.

I think U2 are a great band with some great songs and each member serves the song in the appropriate manner. Good luck to Adam Clayton. I'd rather be discussing my latest sig bass than waiting for the 0705 to Paddington and all that entails. I even think he looks pretty cool with the Reverso and the Streamer P looks ace. Just a pity it's not a Spector!

Adam Clayton is a great ambassador for the bass. Not many people maybe able to afford his sig basses, but it might pique their interest enough to get started on a Squier.

I grudgingly admitted to the GF at the end of the day that it was a great gig!

Edited by Billy Apple

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1455267415' post='2977565']
I never gave U2 much credence. I was dead against over blown stadium acts, preferring the intimacy of loud guitars in a club or hall. I think it was in '87 when my GF bought two tickets as a treat to see them on the Joshua Tree tour at Leeds Elland Road. All leading up to the day I was stubborn and grumpy about going and pretty much kept the same stance throughout the gig. Although it just happened to be one of the best I've been to. The support was The Pretenders, The Fall and The Mission who were all great. Wayne Hussey did his best to out-Bono Bono by getting into the crowd, dancing with ladies on stage and handing out roses, I'm sure he was taking the piss.
U2 were phenomenal. They had this huge expensive sound that completely worked in the setting and it was all underpinned with Mullen and Clayton's solid dum, dum, dum. The Edge flew over the top of it all and despite Bonio being (IMO) a knob he's a first rate front man. TBH, Bonio doesn't bother me at all, he IWHI and you know what you're getting.

I think U2 are a great band with some great songs and each member serves the song in the appropriate manner. Good luck to Adam Clayton. I'd rather be discussing my latest sig bass than waiting for the 0705 to Paddington and all that entails. I even think he looks pretty cool with the Reverso and the Streamer P looks ace. Just a pity it's not a Spector!

Adam Clayton is a great ambassador for the bass. Not many people maybe able to afford his sig basses, but it might pique their interest enough to get started on a Squier.

I grudgingly admitted to the GF at the end of the day that it was a great gig!
[/quote]Spector must be the only brand he hasn't endorsed :lol:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Mr Clayton is completely indifferent to our views.

Personally, I think his playing suits the band he's in but I'd be very surprised if he cares what I think. I quite like some U2 stuff, not all of it though. I doubt they care. I don't think I'd choose to spend time with Bonio but I also doubt he loses sleep over that. And I've never met Mr Clayton so have no data on which to form an opinion of his personality.

And, again, I doubt he gives a sh*t

Edited by Skinnyman

I played in a band years ago that did a couple of U2 tunes.One of the band members after listening to the original recordings informed me I wasnt nailing the feel and not to play so rhythmically and in time and also to play with a pick.That was hard as I found it difficult not to play in time ! I think he may have meant maybe you should place the rhythm slightly behind the beat as opposed to the ahead of the beat funk thing I'd been used too...there are different ways of placing your phrases around a pulse and Adam Clatyon has his...He's also plays in one the greatest Rock bands in the world.So he must be doing something right !