Why become a member? ×

Band members strengths and weaknesses-Swap

CHW

I wasn't quite sure what to title this topic. I've been asked to dep with a band next week and I rehearsed with them this afternoon. It is interesting spotting the various
differences between the skill level, adaptability, strengths and weaknesses different people bring to a band. I'm sure there are a large number of people who are not absolutely 100% happy with every single member of their bands and it got me comparing my regular band v the depping band. There are members of each that could or might enhance the other and I started playing the game in my head of swapping one or two members.

Both bands are classic rock covers but regular band is probably more 70's oriented and dep is more 80's and 90's although there are at least half a dozen matches in the set list.

It passed an idle 10 minutes as I was driving home.

So if you could, who would you pluck out of one band, and put in another. Flea in U2? Duck Dunn in Primus? Or seriously, what could work? Not just bass

Going for the obvious one, almost any other drummer to Lars Ulrich for Metallica.

Based on his work on the new Megadeth album, preferably Chris Adler from Lamb Of God, or former Slayer drummer Dave Lombardo - when he filled in for Lars at Download whatever year it was, he played the tightest version of Creeping Death Metallica have ever performed

Edited by Graham

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1454275503' post='2968213']
David Lee Roth from Van Halen days to swap places with Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden.

80s Andrew Eldritch to replace Michael Stripe. I would actually go to that gig!
[/quote]

Eldritch replaces Dickinson intrigues me a lot more.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1454275503' post='2968213']
David Lee Roth from Van Halen days to swap places with Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden.
[/quote]
Oh God no! There is only one place for the Diamond One and that is VH! He's to upbeat for Maiden and their one trick song(s)!

Unless you mean it just for the purpose of Dickinson being in VH. I wouldn't like that either. There would be no fun in early VH then.

Each to their own though, it is your choice. I'll shut the f*** up!

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1454360012' post='2969017']
It would have been interesting if Jeff Beck had joined the Stones. I wonder how it would have mixed, not sure Keith would be keen on it
[/quote]

I am the biggest Jeff Beck fan there is. However, I would not have wanted him in The Stones. I don't think he's happy enough to be in the Stones,not to mention his styling would probably clash with Keith's.

Ron Wood was the perfect match, I don't think the fans ever questioned their choice.

I wish I could have auditioned along side of Daryl Jones.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1454371612' post='2969179']

I am the biggest Jeff Beck fan there is. However, I would not have wanted him in The Stones. I don't think he's happy enough to be in the Stones,not to mention his styling would probably clash with Keith's.

Ron Wood was the perfect match, I don't think the fans ever questioned their choice.

Blue
[/quote]

Yeah agreed i don't think they quite match. I would have found it interesting to see how Jeff would have theoretically adapted to the Stones and how it would pan out. As all geeat musicians should be able to play with each other