Why become a member? ×

Noobs & Beginners

fumps

I'm not sure if i am posting this in the correct bit but here goes.

I originally came onto here to research my Purchase of a new bass & general kit.
So here goes.......i am still a little confused as to where the info for the beginner is on this site.

as a follow on from the "Whats the most over rated Bass related kit" thread.

What does people recommend to each other, noobs or just someone like me who wants idea os what to check out.

Where talking

BASS
Electric
Acoustic

Head

Cab

Effect

C'mon share your knowladge

[quote name='fumps' post='286063' date='Sep 17 2008, 05:05 PM']What do people recommend to each other, noobs or just someone like me who wants ideas of what to check out.

BASS
Electric
Acoustic

Head

Cab

Effect

C'mon share your knowledge[/quote]

Ah.. Well the answer to that is always "it depends ..."

So, please share a bit about what you want to do with it - bedroom, record or gig? With drums or without? The types of music you are into, your gear preferences - goth or classic, pointy or round, likes and dislikes and budget. Also where you are, if you have a tutor or knowledgeable mate who can help you locally, and local shops, anything you've seen on the web that you fancy, etc. The more info you give the more help we can be.

Then you'll get some personalised and customised advice, nearly all of which will be sound and come with the general advice proviso: "go and try it for yourself".

[quote name='fumps' post='286088' date='Sep 17 2008, 05:29 PM']Yeh i know it's a general question.

Just wanted to read a thread that shows the Pro's rather than the caons of certain makes.

Ya see someone like me who learned the hard way that Peavy is a no no. I suppose it's nice to learn more[/quote]

Ah well there you go, that proves my point,

There are people on here (me included) that think old Peavey combos, and heads and cabs, are fantastic for the money. So if all you have is £100 for amping and you want to play gigs in 100 capacity clubs with a 4 piece band with a drummer you do well to watch ebay for an old Peavey head and cab.
Of couse if you have £2000 for amping your choices are somewhat wider.

There are others who absolutely lourve Peavey basses... The 6 string, especially ..

[quote name='OldGit' post='286082' date='Sep 17 2008, 05:21 PM']Then you'll get some personalised and customised advice, nearly all of which will be sound and come with the general advice proviso: "go and try it for yourself".[/quote]

Or you'll get me (chief numpty) randomly wandering into your thread, being of absolutely no use at all and wandering out again :)

(sorry, I couldn't resist and I have to try and keep my post count up somehow :huh: )

[quote name='fumps' post='286063' date='Sep 17 2008, 05:05 PM']So here goes.......i am still a little confused as to where the info for the beginner is on this site.[/quote]

You'll find lots about basses in the forum - gear - with a bass guitars sub-forum and lots about amps etc in the amps and cabs sub-forum. Loads of posts from people asking the same sort of questions, and scads of useful info.

Enjoy.

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='286114' date='Sep 17 2008, 06:23 PM']Or you'll get me (chief numpty) randomly wandering into your thread, being of absolutely no use at all and wandering out again :)

(sorry, I couldn't resist and I have to try and keep my post count up somehow :huh: )[/quote]

haha yeah, posts in the off topic section don't up your post count!

on topic - ibanez basses. they kick ass and total underrated! try one - you'll love it. even if you dont like the thin neck that ibanez are famous for, there always the ATK - does a good precision tone, a good stingray tone and a decent sound for anything, really! the soundgears are my personal favourite, though.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='286204' date='Sep 17 2008, 08:15 PM']You'll find lots about basses in the forum - gear - with a bass guitars sub-forum and lots about amps etc in the amps and cabs sub-forum. Loads of posts from people asking the same sort of questions, and scads of useful info.

Enjoy.[/quote]
+1

Like OldGit says, you really have to narrow things down a bit.

For me, if I could only have one of each of the things you mention and practicalities weren't a problem, it'd be

Precision Bass
SVT stack
Blue Tube rack mount

(I don't do acoustic :) )

Now watch everyone shoot my choices down in flames. :huh:

As far as basses go i'd say Squier Standards are hard to beat.

All advice so far has been sound, esp. the bit about a knowledgeable mate (paritcularly where second hand gear is concerned)!
It really helps to have someone who can spot faults you would otherwise have missed, buying second hand has drawbacks as well as advantages. I bought my first bass from cash converters and got well and truly robbed, i wish i'd have had someone to guide me in the right direction!

Also, even though i really don't like ashdown gear, i'd have to say if i needed a loud little combo for gigging and rehearsing and didn't have much dough i'd plum for an electric blue 15"

I would recommend trying out second hand options near you, bringing someone who knows (a bit more than you) about basses.
Good brands to try out are yamaha, ibanez, Vintage, Squiers (especially the vintage squier) or cort. I know these are not the cheapest brands, but the best starters imho.

as for an amp: try a peavy, or a small ashdown if you want to rehearse with them in a band context
else try a london city or warwick blue cab (the 30 not being powerful for rehearsing)

Best advice I can possibly give is that which I've learned.

1. Go to a local music shop, go and have a chat convince them your there to buy
2. Dont be afraid to try UGLY basses or expensive basses
2. Try the expensive stuff THEN the cheap find which basses did it for you and which didnt
3. Leave said shop(s) empty handed and do research on every bass you liked
4. Find common factors in all basses and post on here for general opinions
5. Pick your favourite or alternatively research ones you havnt tried but like many properties they have.
6. Check the for sale section here before buying first hand gear
7. Save up after buying said gear for your dream rig and develop major GAS attacks
8. Enjoy basschat and the community
9. Welcome by the way
10. :) :ph34r: Pirates and Ninja's are cool

one big tip... don't buy a "starter package" unless it's from a big name manufacturer... Encore bass starter packs are just not worth it... and have next to no resale value...

Squier apparently do a good starter pack which includes a Fender Rumble amp and you can choose a Jazz or Precision bass package.

Peavey also do a starter pack which got a good writeup in Bass Guitar Magazine

I had a Peavey Millenium BXP in blue... now regret selling it... the new owner loves it...

The Squier Vintage Modified basses are excellent value for money... I have the 70's style fretted Jazz... very tasty bass... wish I'd bought it first instead of that Encore package...

When looking for a practice amp, make sure it has headphone out and CD/MP3 input... then you can easily jam along to tracks off CDs etc. without winding up the neighbours or significant other/parental units...

Also, get a good tuner and also a good metronome...

use the tuner... it makes it far easier to play along to a track when your bass is in tune and helps you in developing your ear...
use the metronome... it helps in gaining a steady sense of time

PS. some 30 years ago, I actually had a Fender Precision and had been playing in a punk band... had to sell it to raise money for a car when first daughter arrived... big pause until taking Bass back up again 2 years ago when the nest became empty...

Edited by Paul Cooke

If you are serious about playing,buy the best quality bass you can afford i would reccomend getting a fender rather than a squire if you can afford it,if you really get into it you will start wishing that decal said fender rather than squire.A decent bass will have a better resale value.Whatever you do dont buy a bass just because your bass hero or band has the same one.

[quote name='Jase' post='286219' date='Sep 17 2008, 08:43 PM']I'll narrow it down for you....Fender :)[/quote]
This question is a bit like asking "what car should I get?", and that answer is like saying "... Ford". :huh:

For a first bass, I'd definitely second the idea of forming a relationship with a local music shop, because they can give you advice on strings & accessories, and (if it's a good shop) help with setup. It doesn't have to be expensive - these days, all but the cheapest basses are generally decent - but a poorly set-up bass can be a real enthusiasm-killer, like trying to learn to drive in a Beetle with a dodgy clutch. :huh:

Edited by bnt

Ha ha Wayne, you rock :)

But anyway,[i] if [/i][b][/b]you are a beginner with little money, rush out right now to Birmingham Reverb Store and buy a Zoom B2.1U multi effects unit which they are apparently selling for £49!! ..... That about £50 off everyone else's price and, if you only have one FX stomp box, it's a great one to have. Then ask Cheddatom for a few pointers on how to make it work well ...

+ 1 on buy used but with help.
Buying new (say one of the stater packs mentioned) will mean instant loss of at least half of the money you spend. So if you have enough for a new starter pack (from about £100 - £200) you get at least twice as much bass and amp for the same money, used.

[quote name='bnt' post='286309' date='Sep 17 2008, 10:59 PM']This question is a bit like asking "what car should I get?", and that answer is like saying "... Ford". :huh:

For a first bass, I'd definitely second the idea of forming a relationship with a local music shop, because they can give you advice on strings & accessories, and (if it's a good shop) help with setup. It doesn't have to be expensive - these days, all but the cheapest basses are generally decent - but a poorly set-up bass can be a real enthusiasm-killer, like trying to learn to drive in a Beetle with a dodgy clutch. :huh:[/quote]

Yes....FORD: Fix or Repair Daily...ummmm I can't think of one for Fender :)

Don't go to a music shop, there are more people here that won't bullshit you if you buy secondhand and if you stick around, you'll find out that people here REALLY love their gear, a huge percenatge of gear for sale here is always in very good condition...lots of geeky, brainy, bass folk :huh:

Cheers peeps i'll take this on board.

I used to play years ago but had to sell up through getting into cash problems.

At the time i had a Peavy 200watt Combo, A special combo that no matter how hard your tried & how many settings you descovered still managed to sound like a goose farting behind a bush. And felt like it was made out of 2ton of pig iron.

And a Honer "The Jack" Headless bass. Which i got from Cash Converters i paid £100 for it and although it was an ugly pig of a thing never went out of tune & worked well for me, i got so much stick with a headless but i loved my Bass.....it was mine & it worked.

I ended up in a few bands (1 Metallica cover band) & although i was'nt that clued up as a player was given lots of pointers and free lessons by other people. Tbh i never changed my kit simply because it worked for me at the time.

I left the gig scene because i was sick of bands, ego's, politics & punching lead guitarist/singers. I swore i'd never pick another Bass up ever again...........well nearly.

That was nearly 9 years ago lol

I now have a lot of catching up to do.

When i go out shopping i'm gonna search & learn the best i can. I was looking at a Ibinez acoustic or a Washurn AB10. the reason behind the acoustic route is i dont fancy going for the amps & effects. Trying to just keep my playing for me only.

I have alot of mates in bands that try & tempt me in so i wanted an acoustic so i can still resist the "Lets get Gav drunk & reel him in" plan. Trouble is i dont know much about the acoustic side & there so few & far between, to do a good search i'm driving for miles just to see 1 Bass.....grrrr i never make it easy on myself lol

Edited by fumps

[quote name='RichardH' post='286405' date='Sep 18 2008, 07:58 AM']There's a Washburn acoustic in the For Sale section, IIRC.[/quote]

Yeh From "Born to be mild" i want it but i believe he's in a rush for the cash & i'm a bit skint (Just bought a house).....the idea was to come on here & learn & research for a while......And he's here with his pretty toys & is selling them.... :)

Timings poor for my Bank account .....but i've told him if i can get the sums to add up i'll take it off his hands, I just dont want to mess him about.

[quote name='fumps' post='286393' date='Sep 18 2008, 07:03 AM']When i go out shopping i'm gonna search & learn the best i can. I was looking at a Ibinez acoustic or a Washurn AB10. the reason behind the acoustic route is i dont fancy going for the amps & effects. Trying to just keep my playing for me only.

I have alot of mates in bands that try & tempt me in so i wanted an acoustic so i can still resist the "Lets get Gav drunk & reel him in" plan. Trouble is i dont know much about the acoustic side & there so few & far between, to do a good search i'm driving for miles just to see 1 Bass.....grrrr i never make it easy on myself lol[/quote]

My Tanglewood Sundance electro-acoustic is extremely nice...

Very mellow now I've put some phosphor-bronze strings on... the original D'addario strings were far too bright. The electric output came out very nice last Sunday through the PA in church...

[url="http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/default.asp?cID=26463245&sID=26465174"]http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/product...mp;sID=26465174[/url]
handcrafted in England :)

but the rrp is now £550... but the workmanship and finish are first class.

(I lucked in on the charity auction and got it at a bargain price)