Why become a member? ×

The Perfect Acoustic Bass

TomKent

I'm about to start working with a new artist whom has asked me about using only an acoustic bass - the problem is.. I don't have one. I'm looking at Godin's, however I'm coming up against a brick wall in terms of acquiring one without paying over the odds (or waiting slightly longer than I would like to).

What other brands do we think of (in the Godin shape)? I would happily consider other shapes, just quite like how Godin's look and play.

Thanks in advance. :)

Depends how you will be using it - probably not acoustic! Godin is a good bet, but look at the current Warwick options. Also worth looking at the Sigma range, very good for the money. Then do a search on here and you'll find plenty of string discussions...I'l say flats now, just to save time!

Yeah flats........ probably.
Not the bronze acoustatrophe's.
That to my ears create the best finger noise and scratchiness ever.
See what I did there? I merged two words for huge comedic effect. A bit like electro-acoustic.

Now what "acoustic" tone do you want?
Actual acoustic?
Rob Allen electric emulating a perceived acoustic tone?
Upright acoustic?
Mag pickup acoustic?
Perhaps a modern use type bass?

The possibilities are endless :lol:

I gig with a Washburn AB40SH which was designed in conjunction with Stu Hamm. I had went through three others before settling on this one and it's been with me now for around 4 years. You get zero feedback from it, the bridge has separate saddles for each string and it has the Buzz Feiten tuning system so intonation is spot on.

Well worth a look.

The Godin would be fine. Also, if you can get them where you are, a Carvin AC40 fretless would fit the bill. Right now I am using the Kala ubass for the situation. Very uprightish tone, easy to play and transport. I have the fretless spruce top. Strings take some time to break in and stretch out, but once they do they need very little tuning. They can be found in fretted if desired.

I've recently acquired a Warwick Alien fretless acoustic (their cheapest model: the Rockbass Standard).

I love it! :) Can't really say whether it's "the perfect acoustic bass" (I doubt it) and I'm [i]certainly[/i] not a "perfect player" by any stretch of the imagination. But it plays lovely and sounds nice, to my ears.

Here's a recording if you're interested - strung with LaBella tape wound flats and recorded DI with a smidgen of compression:

[url="http://soundcloud.com/skollob/dont-rain-on-my-parade"]http://soundcloud.co...in-on-my-parade[/url]

Got mine second hand. New they're around £400-£500 I think.

Edited by Skol303

+1 for Godin. I had an A4 a few years ago & it was sweet! Not really a 'pure' acoustic though ... more a hollow bodied electric with piezo pickup.

That said, the amplified tone was far better than any 'pure' electro-acoustic I've ever heard. Strung with thomastik jazz flats and with the right eq gives a very passable double bass-ish sound ... also delivers pretty good electric tones.

Mine was fretted but I also played the fretless which was stunning! Only downside for me was the weight which got a bit much by the end of a 2 hour set ☺

I replaced it with a Status Electro (original version with just the piezo pickup) which was equally good but a lot lighter! I then moved on to EUB ... ☺