Why become a member? ×

DIY Ideas needed - Locking EQ pedal sliders

Dood

You know when you have finally got everything set up and sounding great, there's always the fear of kicking the pedals by mistake and knocking those carefully crafted settings to oblivion?

No? Just me then.. Well, I'm using a graphic EQ pedal to sculpt a high pass signal before it hits my drive pedals. What I would like to do is lock the sliders in place so they can't be adjusted or kicked. I've even thought about replacing all the sliders (possibly 10K ohm type) with preset pots instead! Drastic surgery but do-able. Or, maybe some sort of lid that can be fixed over the top of the panel where the sliders are.

I've even tried using boost pedals and mini pedals instead of the EQ but nothing seems to sound right. The cheapy EQ pedal just works and the sound is just awesome!

I call upon the wealth of knowledge here on BC to see if there is another solution!

I used to wedge blu-tac into the groove, and tape the sliders down. Before that I made a grate and lay it over the sliders, so like a sheet thick card dropped vertically over them, with the holes in place for where the slider positions were (depending on pedal may need to take tips off sliders though).

Made a few so if they were ever knocked I could find them again, haha! Always meant to make one out of thin metal, but basically never got around to trying it.

Hope some of that helps!

Replacing them would be the most un-kickable though!

You could make a cardboard template of the slider layout. You would cut holes just big enough for the knobs to fit through. Then use the card template to make a plate from Perspex, or 1/4" MDF or something. This plate would then just fit over the top of the knobs, leaving them visible, but unable to move, but is easily reversible.

Have I described that properly? I have a feeling I am just picturing it in my head and randomly banging on the keyboard...

Edit: Ha! I was too late, AttituteCastle got there just before me. At least I know the idea works!

Actually, thinking about his Blu-tac idea, you could use matchsticks. Chop them to size so you'd have two pieces for each slider, wedge them into the grooves, one above and one below each knob.

Edited by KingBollock

First write down the position to each slider, maybe mark them up on the pedal with a CD writer pen. You can protect your settings by getting a cover to fit over the sliders, something like a piece of plastic or even metal that can be screwed/glued/velcroed on to the enclosure.

If it's an unexpensive pedal like a Boss or another thing in the sub-£50 range than you can allways get a wire cutter and cut the sliders flush in to the enclore so that the only way to move the slider is with a toothpick... Only do this if you really found your sound and will never part with that pedal. ;)

Some really great ideas actually!!! Thanks so much, you're all ace :) - Well, what's interesting is that the pedal itself is only a cheap one, but it is very good for what I need it for. I wouldn't be too upset about cutting the ends off, but I really like perspex type cover to lock the sliders in place. I think that would be a cool idea to try!

Keep 'em coming, this is real food for thought!

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1452608540' post='2951568']
Put the pedal in a larger metal box and wire that box as a bypass pedal that bypasses the pedal inside the box ?
[/quote]

What's actually funny about this is that I was thinking about mounting all the pedals on a board with a clear perspex cover! Not totally enclosed but at least being able to ensure nothing was kicked. A bit like this idea:

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1452628826' post='2951877']
What's actually funny about this is that I was thinking about mounting all the pedals on a board with a clear perspex cover! Not totally enclosed but at least being able to ensure nothing was kicked. A bit like this idea:

[/quote]

It would make me nervous to have that on my board, id end up standing on it and breaking it...

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1452628826' post='2951877']
[/quote]

I knew that, so I suggested it just to freak you out :)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1452553212' post='2951199']
You know when you have finally got everything set up and sounding great, there's always the fear of kicking the pedals by mistake and knocking those carefully crafted settings to oblivion?

No? Just me then.. Well, I'm using a graphic EQ pedal to sculpt a high pass signal before it hits my drive pedals. What I would like to do is lock the sliders in place so they can't be adjusted or kicked. I've even thought about replacing all the sliders (possibly 10K ohm type) with preset pots instead! Drastic surgery but do-able. Or, maybe some sort of lid that can be fixed over the top of the panel where the sliders are.

I've even tried using boost pedals and mini pedals instead of the EQ but nothing seems to sound right. The cheapy EQ pedal just works and the sound is just awesome!

I call upon the wealth of knowledge here on BC to see if there is another solution!
[/quote]

As a matter of interest what is your current drive setup Dood? Have you tried using something like the rolls tiny crossover like Mr. Sheehan uses in the dirty loop of his signature pedal?

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1452712606' post='2952822']
As a matter of interest what is your current drive setup Dood? Have you tried using something like the rolls tiny crossover like Mr. Sheehan uses in the dirty loop of his signature pedal?
[/quote]

Funnily, I am using the EBS Sheehan pedal, but there's not enough grit from stock for me. (Although the new Sheehan model being aired at NAMM apparently does have more gain). So, what I have done is put a dirt pedal (a tubescreamer) in the clean loop too for a stacked/parallel drive with more body. The EQ pedal is boosting the input level to get the saturation up - however, a straight 'boost' pedal isn't suitable as I need to carve away the low end going in. I really cant stand flubby and incoherent distortion. Just sounds rubbish :) I have to admit, I would have jumped on the Rolls SX21 and I even have a schematic for it, but I don't think it was going to offer the gain boost I need without having another pedal between that and the EBS. Who knows, maybe the new pedal will offer the saturation I wanted all along!!

Finally, in case you maybe wondering where or my low end will have gone using the EQ to roll it off - all of the above is in the blend loop of a One Control Mosquite Blender pedal, which is an exquisite little piece of engineering!

[quote name='paulnb57' timestamp='1452715547' post='2952869']
Little dab of hot glue, flexible enough to peel off if you need to...
[/quote]

THAT is the answer! I think I'm going with this first. Good call!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1452723404' post='2952962']
Funnily, I am using the EBS Sheehan pedal, but there's not enough grit from stock for me. (Although the new Sheehan model being aired at NAMM apparently does have more gain). So, what I have done is put a dirt pedal (a tubescreamer) in the clean loop too for a stacked/parallel drive with more body. The EQ pedal is boosting the input level to get the saturation up - however, a straight 'boost' pedal isn't suitable as I need to carve away the low end going in. I really cant stand flubby and incoherent distortion. Just sounds rubbish :) I have to admit, I would have jumped on the Rolls SX21 and I even have a schematic for it, but I don't think it was going to offer the gain boost I need without having another pedal between that and the EBS. Who knows, maybe the new pedal will offer the saturation I wanted all along!!

Finally, in case you maybe wondering where or my low end will have gone using the EQ to roll it off - all of the above is in the blend loop of a One Control Mosquite Blender pedal, which is an exquisite little piece of engineering!
[/quote]

Thinking about it, I'll shoot Rolls a message and see what they say. Though the Hot Glue Gun is looking like the cheapest solution!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1452558247' post='2951232']
Get the Source Audio Programmable EQ perhaps?
[/quote]

I've been reading up about it and I think it's a super cool pedal. Think I need to find one to try out!

I'd probably just tape the sliders down with some insulating tape (not gaffa tape, it'll leave a mess)

Alternatively get a piece of polystyrene or hard foam (old mouse mat?) and clamp it on top of the sliders with a large elastic band?