Why become a member? ×

Practicing

ballstomonty

There's always stuff to practice...

Working full time and having a young son time is short. Also my wife work all day Saturday and Friday nights. So time is very limited. Recently I've been trying to practice more consistently as my desire to be a good bassist after 20 years or so of playing has never been stronger.

Stamina is something I have been trying to focus on as my floyd band set is 2.5 hours long and although not much of it is technically challenging I like to feel I won't flag toward the end of the gig. I've been putting time into right hand consistency in a way that I haven't bothered with for years trying to get consistent attack on eights/triplets/sixteenth notes to a metronome. Single string and string switching.

But then there's the fancy stuff I REALLY want to learn double thumbing and am working on my slap technique and I'm also really want to work on my fretless playing. However there's not enough time to do all this.

Anyway looking for advice from people with limited time who still make time for regular practice. Obviously little and often works well do I try to get 30 minutes to an hour in 4 to 5 times a week. How to best balance practice priorities? After 20 years I should know. Luckily I learn material quickly and easily but I need to practice to keep stuff tight

Also I no longer have a music room since the baby so by the time I get stuff out its time to something else (or go to bed). My wife has to cope with my P bass or Musicman littering up the bedroom or dining room. Anyone here use headphones like the vox amphones?

I got a Zoom B1on a few months ago which I use for practising through headphones.

The drum presets & effects are great but it's the 30 sec looper (which I originally thought was a bit of a gimmick) which has changed the way I practice.

The ability to instantly play back what I've been playing and properly hear the bits where I might be a bit weaker or have sloppy technique has been absolutely invaluable, I feel like it's given me a proper insight into which areas need improvement, especially on my slap technique which it turns out is nowhere near as clean & precise as I'd like it to be.

Edited by Cato

I can't say I ever really practice with the intention of improving my playing. I only pick up my bass if I have some parts to work on for one of my bands, or I'm writing new material etc...

... this probably explains why my playing hasn't got any technically "better" since I was about 17 :blink:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1452517007' post='2950657']
I can't say I ever really practice with the intention of improving my playing. I only pick up my bass if I have some parts to work on for one of my bands, or I'm writing new material etc...

... this probably explains why my playing hasn't got any technically "better" since I was about 17 :blink:
[/quote]

+1. I only ever pick the bass up to learn a new song. If that requires learning a new technique I'll "practice" until I get the song right (or drop the song and realise the limit of my ability).

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1452518657' post='2950690']
Increasing your library of licks and techniques is always a good thing, but whatever else you feel you need to do, practice won't increase your stamina. Sounds like you just need to gig.
[/quote]

The band always has Christmas off and usually January in order to plan the show for the year learn new material test new lights etc. As we're in the lull I think that's why I want to keep my strength up. I've never run out of steam at a gig yet so I don't know why I worry.

Our first gig of the year if always two nights back to back at a smaller theatre with two different sets to try new things out. Set One on the first night I always feel rusty by about 20 minutes in I'm fine. But I haven't been doing much technique practice in recent years which I think will help this time round.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1452518144' post='2950683']

+1. I only ever pick the bass up to learn a new song. If that requires learning a new technique I'll "practice" until I get the song right (or drop the song and realise the limit of my ability).
[/quote]

Completely agree with you, Ive pretty much taken the above approach for years but somehow recently I've wanted to improve again technically

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1452516763' post='2950651']
I got a Zoom B1on a few months ago which I use for practising through headphones.

The drum presets & effects are great but it's the 30 sec looper (which I originally thought was a bit of a gimmick) which has changed the way I practice.

The ability to instantly play back what I've been playing and properly hear the bits where I might be a bit weaker or have sloppy technique has been absolutely invaluable, I feel like it's given me a proper insight into which areas need improvement, especially on my slap technique which it turns out is nowhere near as clean & precise as I'd like it to be.
[/quote]

Sounds like a good investment, I put a lot of time in my first 5 years of playing into playing cleanly and working on my feel/groove playing things back from a little 4 track. Nice to have something portable that I can just grab out of a drawer to practice with

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1452518657' post='2950690']
practice won't increase your stamina. [/quote]

Depends what kind of stamina you mean IMO.
If it's the kind of stamina where you can play 16th notes, but after a period of time, your stamina goes and the technique falls apart, then practice will definitely help.
I used to find it hard to play the octave patterns in ABBAs Gimme Gimme Gimme. Few sessions practicing, and that was remedied.
If you mean the stamina to just be able to gig for 2.5 hours, then yeh, gigging is definitely your best bet.

The B1on is a real boon. I've previously used a range of other options but this is the best so far. Aux input for learning songs, metronome and drum patterns built in for jamming or tightening up your timing, no need to find a tuner cos that's there too, plenty of headroom on the headphone output, and runs on rechargeables for a week or more so one less lead to bother about. The amp sims give you a pleasing sound through the headphones, it's easily robust enough for home use and it's cheap too. I sit next to my wife whilst she watches telly and it doesn't disturb her so long as I don't sing along ;) It's one self contained box that does everything.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1452526245' post='2950804']
Concentrate on the stuff you really need to sort out, don't spread your effort too thinly;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDJFcWBmzUM
[/quote]

I think this is excellent advice, my focus is going to be on my right hand technique both fingers and plectrum as I need both for the band.

My fingers have always been faster and more consistent than my plectrum so doing 8th, 16ths and triplets to a metronome building up slowly across single strings, scale patterns and riff patterns.

I did about 20 minutes on Monday and 45 minutes of this last night and already my playing feels more fluid. I think this will be my practice focus for the next few months and I think it will make s difference if I can stay focused.

Hi Ballstomonty, it seems there is similarity between two of us. I am 52 in March, nevertheless, I know there is still enough space for my improvement. As I couldn't see a noticeable improvement within last years and I didn't know how to practise effectively I decided to find a bass teacher (for the first time in my life). I started my lessons in September 2015 and I have 1 lesson a week. I'm rather busy so there is only little time left for practising, however, I can feel the lessons with the teacher help me a lot. It costs money but i am glad I started.

I think the main thing is to identify your weaknesses and make sure you spend your practise time working on them. Of course it's nice to just kick back and have fun with the instrument sometimes but long-term it's more rewarding to see progress on stuff that you always felt was a weak point.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1452518144' post='2950683']

[/quote]

Is this a new protocol for the new generation of bass players, not practicing.

Or is it mainly those that are too busy with other things in life, those that are so good they never need to practice or those that really have no interest in improving?

I usually can get 2 hours a day in. Practicing has always been part of the craft for me.

Blue

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1452515800' post='2950632']
Write a list of what you want to do, then make a timetable, apportioning time for each thing that you want to do, but be realistic when doing it.

15, or 20 minutes each day will soon add up.[/quote]

That's a good suggestion.

I would stay away from practicing the fun stuff you already know.Practice in your area of weakness or where you know your challenged.

Blue

[quote name='william64' timestamp='1452693068' post='2952482']
Hi Ballstomonty, it seems there is similarity between two of us. I am 52 in March, nevertheless, I know there is still enough space for my improvement. As I couldn't see a noticeable improvement within last years and I didn't know how to practise effectively I decided to find a bass teacher[/quote]

I'm 62, started playing bass guitar in 1966. For me, improvement came from practicing, gigging 2-3 times a week and I still take lessons and probably always will.

Blue

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1452516763' post='2950651']

[/quote]

I been practicing with headphones and a Korg Pandora 4x.

Sounds like I should buy this Zoom B1. The recording function sounds like it would help me too.

Blue

http://musiciansway.com/blog/
http://thepracticeofpractice.com/
http://www.jazzadvice.com/

Lots of good advice on how to practice to maximise growth.
I bought The Musicians Way book & have been using their method for a while now, making better progress than I ever did practicing haphazardly.