Why become a member? ×

I'm after pedal advice ?

kevvo66

Hiya people ,thinking about going down the pedal route ,at the moment I have a big muff never used live only at home di box one them behringer thingy me jigs any suggestions what to add to the big muff don't really want more than about half a dozen pedal I've just made a pedal board also
Cheers kev

Do you know what sort of sound you're wanting to achieve?

I could recommend some brilliant pedals, but if you're not playing electronica inspired bass & don't want to spend a good few £000, then they won't suit you.

If you're not sure on what sound you're after or what effects you want, get a multi fx pedal (or two). That way you can get to know which fx do what & find out what effects you're actually going to use. Then if you want, you can get standalone pedals.

Every bassist needs (IMHO) at least a light overdrive pedal and a tuner on their board! A good cheap tuner is the Korg Pitchblack. Overdrives - there's the EHX Bass Soul Food, EHX Glove, Digitech Hardwire CM-2... tons more options if your budget is higher.

Filters are one of the most fun effects to play, but you might not have much use for them depending on what music you play. I've tried tons and my favourite is the old EHX Mini-QTron that you can pick up pretty cheap used if you're lucky.

Depends what other effects you fancy! If you've never tried chorus, flanger, phaser, octave, delay, reverb, filter, etc, get a cheap multi fx like the Zoom B1on (that comes with a tuner, looper, drum machine, 100 FX and is also a headphone practice unit with aux input) to see what you're into.

Thanks people ,those multi fx pedal will they survive on the road I have one knocking around but I dont think it robust enough and I didn't care for the sound if I'm honest we play from 50s upto modern pop I use a standalone tuner;-)

Edited by kevvo66

Another recommendation for the Zoom B1on or something similar.

For less than half the price of a single dedicated mid-range pedal you get a multi fx unit/headphone practice amp with drum presets, which, if nothing else should give you a pretty good idea of what various effects sound like and how useful they might be for what you do.

Another recommendation for a zoom multieffects unit from me. I use a ms60b on my board as an allways on gate/preamp/amp&cab sim (+a reverb when I want one).

Don't know about the other zoom units, but if they're anything like the ms60b then they're definitely sturdy enough.

Edit: also, if you're getting a board together, then I'd suggest getting an isolated power supply.

And a bitcrusher. Bitcrushers are fun.

Edited by elephantgrey

Personally I wouldn't want to use a Zoom B1on on the road. Not because it wouldn't survive, but from an ease-of-use perspective. It's a great unit for learning about effects and home practice, but it's quite fiddly and would frustrate me in a live scenario!

Compression, Overdrive Chorus or Phase covers most of the bases. I might add Bass Octave.

You can't go wrong with TC Electronics or MXR pedals.

I'm still not convinced that multi effects units are all that great for live performance.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1452100384' post='2946423']
Personally I wouldn't want to use a Zoom B1on on the road. Not because it wouldn't survive, but from an ease-of-use perspective. It's a great unit for learning about effects and home practice, but it's quite fiddly and would frustrate me in a live scenario!
[/quote]

Agreed 100%

Blue

Another vote for the Zoom B1on. I've had one pretty much since they were released in the UK and it's never let me down. It's done about 45 gigs and regular weekly rehearsals and still looks new... I don't find mine fiddly to use and I do a fair bit of patch switching...a bit of forward planning helps. The casing is deceptively robust. I transport mine in one of those Maplins silver camera cases on a board with my Line 6 wireless receiver. I've also added an adaptor so all I have to do is plug in a kettle lead and I'm off. I've had four different Zoom fx boxes and loved them all.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1452123227' post='2946859']
Another vote for the Zoom B1on. I've had one pretty much since they were released in the UK and it's never let me down. It's done about 45 gigs and regular weekly rehearsals and still looks new... I don't find mine fiddly to use and I do a fair bit of patch switching...a bit of forward planning helps. The casing is deceptively robust. I transport mine in one of those Maplins silver camera cases on a board with my Line 6 wireless receiver. I've also added an adaptor so all I have to do is plug in a kettle lead and I'm off. I've had four different Zoom fx boxes and loved them all.
[/quote]

I'm a live player, I barely have time for one stomp to engage a pedal in between songs. No time for futzing around.

Blue

Just plugged in my big muff earlier and dug out my multi fx pedal that going up for sale its OK just not for me , just pedal to go with the muff now and I agree with blue no time when I'm in live setting for messing around with fx pedal board

Edited by kevvo66

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1452100384' post='2946423']
[/quote]

For live use the B3 is probably a good option, it has the interface of 3 stamp boxes next to each other ([url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Zoom-B3-Effects-and-Amp-Simulator-Pedal/JTH?origin=product-ads&utm_campaign=PLA+Shop+-+Zoom&utm_medium=vertical_search&network=google&adgroup=1+-+Product+Level+-+Zoom&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=25685d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=103654371919&gclid=CjwKEAiAk7O0BRD9_Ka2w_PhwSkSJAAmKswxwW6TlzIKC4y7AGT2JbX3T5vX_EkNPsnzA0oSqcN04xoC_tPw_wcB"]link[/url])

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1452128479' post='2946896']
Just plugged in my big muff earlier and dug out my multi fx pedal that going up for sale its OK just not for me , just pedal to go with the muff now and I agree with blue no time when I'm in live setting for messing around with fx pedal board
[/quote]
Any 1/2 decent multi unit will let you program presets. If you have a set list of 12 songs, you can make 12 presets & it's a click of one button (that's a lot of messing about between songs :P ).
What sort of sound do you want?

Zoom B2 is pretty much indestructible. On my pedal board i have:

Digitech Bass Synth Wah - EHX Log OD - EHX Big Muff - Toadworks Meat - Akai Flanger - Akai Phase Shifter - Digitech Bass Chorus.

All fairly cheap pedals. I use the Zoom live for Delay / Reverb and tuner.

Edited by Number6

If you're not sure what you are after, experimenting with multi fx might be the way to go. A lot of them are super complicated to use, or the effects might not be quite to the standard you would want, but for me the Zoom B3 is an exception. It works like three stomp boxes next to each other, and most of the effects are really good and usable.. even some of the overdrives are really good.. and it has a tuner on it!

I'm not sure I understand the "I don't have time for effects" argument...if you've sorted out your board, it's the work of a moment to plug it in. During the tune, when the bit comes along when you need the chorus/fuzz/whatever, you press the button. I realise they're not for everyone and some multi fx are very complex to programme and use in a live situation, but there are plenty on the market that are made with simplicity and ease of use in mind.

Of the pedals on my board:
TC Electronic Polytune. Essential
EBS Multicomp - the old compression argument will go on and on, but I think this sounds better than most.
Mooer green mile. Used for a coupe of songs only, and it really isn't good for bass
EH Micropog. Bought to fill out the sound when we were one guitar band but does so much more
MXR 6B equaliser. Used to get the bass to stand out from the mix