Why become a member? ×

Things not to say before an audition

solo4652

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1452114448' post='2946697']

I'm good at putting people together in terms of sound and style.
This is where the chemistry can come from..

Random selections based on who applies/turns up seems such a long shot..and a waste of time, tbh.
So I don't do that.
[/quote]

Agreed. but then there's the issue of availability. You know, stuff like I can only rehearse an hour a week, I play in 3 other bands, I can only gig once a month.

Its not easy.

Blue

Funnily enough, we were looking for a drummer about 3 years ago and I found a guy who lived local to us. I was a bit concerned when he said that he didn't have a drum kit but we weren't exactly spoilt for choice and decided to give him a go. He turned out to be the best and most reliable drummer that I've ever played with and we're still going strong, so to speak.

[quote name='mingsta' timestamp='1452119478' post='2946789']
Funnily enough, we were looking for a drummer about 3 years ago and I found a guy who lived local to us. I was a bit concerned when he said that he didn't have a drum kit but we weren't exactly spoilt for choice and decided to give him a go. He turned out to be the best and most reliable drummer that I've ever played with and we're still going strong, so to speak.[/quote]

Interesting story, had he told my band he didn't have a kit he would have never gotten an audition.

Did you guys buy him a kit.

Blue

A recent audition of mine went well (with positive feedback at the time). But I was told they went with the drummer's friend who auditioned too because he knows him better (so why bother wasting my time ?). I'm glad I didn't pay towards the room at least. The most I took from it was a good chance to try out my Cort for the first time.

[quote name='Behlmene' timestamp='1452110501' post='2946597']
:) Literally the quote is:
"I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope [b][i]we've passed[/i][/b] the audition." I took the liberty of doctoring the tense as the line was spoken [i][b]after[/b][/i] an audition (actually a free roof top concert).
[/quote]
That quote doesnt make sense if you think about it. ;)

Oddest audition was on a small boat, hauled out of the Thames on one of those islands near Richmond. Was told that a well known comedian played bongos for the band but wasn't present that night. No amp. Played acoustically (electric bass) in a freezing cold, damp, cramped cabin sat in front of wood burning stove. guitarist and singer both a little drunk.

Recently been looking for another gig to go along with my not-that-busy covers thing. Auditioned for a heavy rock covers band with a good following, and even better reputation. Nice lads, great players. I'd learned my stuff. Didn't get it, was told I played fine wasn't "metal" enough compared to the other guy. Who was also balding, so at least it wasn't a hair thing :) Possibly it was because I'd explained I was pretty much 100% metal for my teens and grunge for most of my twenties, I'm 45 now (so are they) and listen to a diverse range of music inc metal, but no, I hadn't heard the last Judas Priest album and have no visible tattoos. Or, they thought I sucked and were just being nice about it.

No hard feelings though, their band, their choice. But the "not metal" thing annoyed me.

So I auditioned for a metal band doing originals, Polish lads, hairy, everything pointy and in drop D, all in their 20's except me. Auditioned at 10:30am on a Sunday, they had beer outside studio and we all had a round of whisky (on the drummer) before we played a note. I hadn't had quite so much fun on the bass in a while and I got the gig.

Who's metal now?

@ ahpook, post #7

Somewhat against my better judgement, we invited him along for a try-out. His reply (sic);

[color=#000000][color=#222222]"[/color]I have sent my reply, to reiterate, I will leave you to decide from the two drummer you said are coming for an "audition" I stated I would not be part of that scenario of conducting musician collaboration.[/color]

[color=#000000]One a personal note I have played music for over 40 years, last 15 professionally, speaking to potential none paid "like minded" individual as if it were a job interview, you ask too much, you are very very lucky anyone would even come down to session.............food for thought Mr White, it attitude first.[/color]"

:blink: Thanks for that. I'll cross you off my list.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1452175920' post='2947275']
@ ahpook, post #7

Somewhat against my better judgement, we invited him along for a try-out. His reply (sic);

[color=#000000][color=#222222]"[/color]I have sent my reply, to reiterate, I will leave you to decide from the two drummer you said are coming for an "audition" I stated I would not be part of that scenario of conducting musician collaboration.[/color]

[color=#000000]One a personal note I have played music for over 40 years, last 15 professionally, speaking to potential none paid "like minded" individual as if it were a job interview, you ask too much, you are very very lucky anyone would even come down to session.............food for thought Mr White, it attitude first.[/color]"

:blink: Thanks for that. I'll cross you off my list.
[/quote]

arrogant idiot... sounds like a hoot to have around.

I've an audition tomorrow... band has asked, which amp I would prefer (out of the studios selection of four) so they can set it up ready for me. They have also sent me full chord charts for the two audition tracks and told me to do whatever I like with the basslines.

... it's quite refreshing.

Auditioned a grumpy Hammond player a couple of years ago for an originals outfit I had going at the time. Despite having had over a fortnight to learn three songs he kept coming in with the wrong chords then waving his hands for everyone to stop & telling us WE were playing the wrong chords. We weren't & the audition didn't last even an hour before I told him we'd be in touch. Got home to an email from him with bullet points on where we are going wrong as a band, culminating in him saying he didn't want in! Pr1ck.

Also auditioned a guitarist some years back for another originals thing. He was ok, then halfway thru the second number emitted a horrendous shriek of pain. His hand had visibly swollen & stiffened up so we suggested he get it sorted & come back another time. He refused & said he'd soldier on - he spent another hour or so trying to play but clearly couldn't & it was awful, never seen grimacing like it. Halfway thru my drummer cracked up & was trying to hide his laughter which set me off & we ended up pretty much laughing in the face of a guy who was obviously in a lot of pain. Just horrible. Said drummer still mentions 'Old Hurty Hand' from time to time XD

Doesn't really count as an audition but..

I was bored and out on a business trip south of the Mason Dixon Line a few years ago and dropped into the local Sam Ash for a look see.
They had an old Kalamazoo bass in so I had to try it, so noodled away on a 12 bar followed by an 8 bar.
A long haired, bearded hulk of a guitarist guy cruised over and offered me a job in his band.
I was very flattered and explained that I was British and only here for a couple of days.
After a couple of "shee-its" and "goddamms" he offered me a go off his king sized spliff and asked if I could hang around for an hour so's his bass player could come over to learn the licks I'd just played.
The bass man arrived 10 minutes later.
The guitarist grabbed him by the beard, pulled out what looked like a mini baseball bat and said to me "Play!.
In a quaking jelly terror I managed to stagger through 12 bars.
The guitarist then shouted in his bass mans ear "Did you hear what he didn't play? Did you hear the space, m*****fkr?" "That's how you gotta play from now on, y'hear?"

I have never left a music shop, trembling, so fast in my life.

I hid out in my hotel room and the factory for the rest of the visit and was never so glad to suffer TSA security just to leave and go home.

I had an audition last night. Jammed three songs with the other two to make sure we were thinking along the same lines and could play and sing well together. Then spent an hour making a list of contacts we had. An hour of preparing set lists and booked in a date for first full rehearsal with all songs learned ready for recording. That is the sort of efficiency I like.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452113290' post='2946673']
I'm conjuring up black/white early footage when I hear that line. I could be wrong.

Blue
[/quote]

I believe you're right. And here are some stellar color stills that were taken that day:

http://www.vintag.es/2015/01/wonderful-color-photographs-of-beatles.html

[quote name='Behlmene' timestamp='1452219392' post='2947818']
I believe you're right. And here are some stellar color stills that were taken that day:

[url="http://www.vintag.es/2015/01/wonderful-color-photographs-of-beatles.html"]http://www.vintag.es...of-beatles.html[/url]
[/quote]

[media]http://youtu.be/Fr-7Z5S78gM[/media]

http://youtu.be/Xwy-CPaXgOc

Edited by EssentialTension

The original idea came from the Emperor Nero and his serenade on a lyre while he watched from a balcony as Rome burned.

Nero gets very little credit for his contribution to World Music, having been swept away by the Goth Revolution while his studio was trashed by Vandals.

I auditioned for a band to stand in as a dep for a few gigs.

I learned about 20 tunes (actually just ran over them to familiarise myself as they were tunes I knew fairly well).

The only problem was the audition was with the guitarist only. No drums, no singer.

The guitarist couldn't sing/didn't know the words.

I was totally an absolutely lost. Tried song after song and we just couldn't make them work.

After one song he asked me "Is that how you think it goes?" I said "Yes, we play that in my current band.", he just gave me an odd look.

We called a halt early as it obviously wasn't happening and he said "Don't worry, I auditioned someone yesterday who knows the material and I'm going with him."

Later I spoke to the bass player I was standing in for and he said "Oh, yes, sorry about that, he can be a bit intense."

Sometimes it just isn't going to work.

I also auditioned for a show.

Only two of us auditioned and were both at the audition. That's nerve wracking enough.

The other bass player's face dropped when he found out that we had to sight read the tunes from sheet music. To be fair he had quite a good stab at it by just playing root notes for each bar.

I got that one. :D