Why become a member? ×

Things not to say before an audition

solo4652

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1453118202' post='2956426']...would anyone else learn an entire bands set list just in case you were 2nd choice in a few weeks or months?[/quote]

Probably not, but I'd learn an entire set list if I really wanted to be 1st choice and needed an advantage over the other contenders. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1453129641' post='2956628']
Probably not, but I'd learn an entire set list if I really wanted to be 1st choice and needed an advantage over the other contenders. :)
[/quote]

I have a 2 year old child. I shouldn't need to say any more ;)

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1453118202' post='2956426']
No point in cutting off my nose to spite my face etc.
[/quote]

I get the impression you were mature and wise.
If you enjoy it, you enjoy it.
The little cheekiness probably was inspired by their not feeling at ease with the other guy, and often there's also dissent within a band as to whom to contact first.
Also, you'll probably prove them wrong as to not choosing you first. Wouldn't be the first time a band soon exclaimed they're sooooo happy the other one pulled out.

Have fun!

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1453129641' post='2956628']

[/quote]

Quite. It'll be extremely unlikley that any band will be playing tunes that you've not at least heard before. You should be able to learn a set to a reasonable level within a week.

I had an audition recently where I was 2nd of 2 bassists to be auditioned. We'd agreed for me to get there for 8PM, I left 30 mins before that and as I drove off got a text asking to make it 30 mins later, doh !

I got there for 8 anyway and hung around, getting cold in the poorly heated studio corridor. When my time came, I got setup, but my hands were freezing, and I very quickly got cramp whilst holding down some octaves for a whole song (Beatles - Taxman). I made a fair few fluffs, but overall considering the amount of time (not much) i'd put into songs I didn't know, it went OK.

The next day they called me up to say they went with the other guy, as he was older than me (60s vs 30s) and he knew the material better (I had no issue with this bit). They did however have a reservation he wouldn't be committed, and asked me if i'd learn the setlist anyway just in case he didn't stay with them (!!!!). I was a little surprised by this request, would anyone else learn an entire bands setlist just in case you were 2nd choice in a few weeks or months ? I politely declined.

I had a call yesterday saying he'd not got back to them about joining, so can I join instead ? I pondered on it, and decided to go with it. They might have been a little cheeky with their request and I may have been the 'backup', but they are actually very good and their location/frequency of gigs suits my needs. No point in cutting off my nose to spite my face etc.
[/quote]

I suppose at least they were upfront with you. Which bodes well in the future.

Personally, I would have waited until I'd had a few practices with the 'new guy' before telling the other guys I'd auditioned that they hadn't got the gig.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1453199189' post='2957240']
Quite. It'll be extremely unlikely that any band will be playing tunes that you've not at least heard before. You should be able to learn a set to a reasonable level within a week.
[/quote]

I'd agree with that. But I'd heard none of the twelve songs I learned for an audition last week. However I did have two weeks in hand so it wasn't too much of an ordeal. And they weren't fifteen-minute prog-rock epics or anything... ;)

I had an audition recently where I was 2nd of 2 bassists to be auditioned. We'd agreed for me to get there for 8PM, I left 30 mins before that and as I drove off got a text asking to make it 30 mins later, doh !

I got there for 8 anyway and hung around, getting cold in the poorly heated studio corridor. When my time came, I got setup, but my hands were freezing, and I very quickly got cramp whilst holding down some octaves for a whole song (Beatles - Taxman). I made a fair few fluffs, but overall considering the amount of time (not much) i'd put into songs I didn't know, it went OK.

The next day they called me up to say they went with the other guy, as he was older than me (60s vs 30s) and he knew the material better (I had no issue with this bit). They did however have a reservation he wouldn't be committed, and asked me if i'd learn the setlist anyway just in case he didn't stay with them (!!!!). I was a little surprised by this request, would anyone else learn an entire bands setlist just in case you were 2nd choice in a few weeks or months ? I politely declined.

I had a call yesterday saying he'd not got back to them about joining, so can I join instead ? I pondered on it, and decided to go with it. They might have been a little cheeky with their request and I may have been the 'backup', but they are actually very good and their location/frequency of gigs suits my needs. No point in cutting off my nose to spite my face etc.
[/quote]

I think you did the right thing.

Commitment is key for a working band.It's why I always ask about spousel support and if they have young children.

I'm proud to say after 5 years with my current band I've never asked them to block any dates for me.

If something comes up, I cancel it, the gig comes first.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1452641707' post='2952045']
I once covered for a bassist's sick absence from a band.

At the audition to do so, I remarked that they were playing some of the songs a bit wrong.
Lofty egos were a bit bruised when I showed them the right chord sequences and I was basically told that I would have to learn to play the songs wrong.
Which I did.
[/quote]

I have had to do this for a couple of the bands I dep with. It grinds my gears but I smile, do the job, and take the money!

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1453481512' post='2959940']
Lol, Blue can wind people up better than me.

I come to my rehearsals via rocket belt.
[/quote]

I really like Bass Chat and I know I can come off as d**k sometimes, but I like a good debate and i have lost to some of these guys.

Laydownthefunk, remember this, I make a lot of questionable statements here on bass chat. And regardless what my position is on an issue, at the end of the day it's always about commitment and passion for music.

Blue

I had an audition recently where I was 2nd of 2 bassists to be auditioned.............

[/quote]

On these lines...
If someone asks you to learn the set for a gig...you've got the gig.
None of this stand-by stuff.... they pay you because they booked you.

If the bass player makes it back from holiday in time and they want him to do the gig, that is ok..but they still pay
you because you've put the time in and you have held the date.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1453556823' post='2960514']

On these lines...
If someone asks you to learn the set for a gig...you've got the gig.
None of this stand-by stuff.... they pay you because they booked you.

If the bass player makes it back from holiday in time and they want him to do the gig, that is ok..but they still pay
you because you've put the time in and you have held the date.
[/quote]

This is the difference between proffesional and semi-pro players.

As a semi-pro player I think I would have difficulty in getting money from someone in that scenario.

I think a pro would have a much easier time citing lost revenue. They'd also probably make that clear from the outset.

It's certainly something I'll make clearer to anyone who asks me to play in future.

Edited by TimR

But the band should make the call.... as it is just a good way to deal with people.

I mention this because this same thing happened and the guy .. a local player, was expected to learn the set
and he had to set aside time to do that as he wasn't a busker or a reader, (so a lot of work for him) and then after all that, on the day, the bass player made the gig after all...

But yes, not very good form the band,... pretty poor actually, and oblivious to what was involved.

I mean..who was doing who a favour..??

Edited by JTUK