Why become a member? ×

The Next Generation Of Players To Inspire.....?

spongebob

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1452019919' post='2945633']
Maybe I misunderstood the original question, but I thought it was about who the new players coming through are, not if young people are influenced by the same old farts that we were.
[/quote]

I think I did go a bit off subject from the original post, I was referring to what someone said in a previous comment about 'band' music not being popular with young people and went off on a bit of a tangent!

But to answer what you said about new names, the ones sticking in my mind are Rick Barrio Dill, Robin Eberhart, Mike League, Alissia, Hadrien Feraud, Mark Michel, Nick Oliveri/Michael Shuman. Then of course you have a lot of players coming to light through Youtube channels such as Scott Devine.

Edited by TomRandles97

[quote name='TomRandles97' timestamp='1452029878' post='2945775']
But to answer what you said about new names, the ones sticking in my mind are Rick Barrio Dill, Robin Eberhart, Mike League, Alissia, Hadrien Feraud, Mark Michel, Nick Oliveri/Michael Shuman. Then of course you have a lot of players coming to light through Youtube channels such as Scott Devine.
[/quote]

That's more like it - people I've not heard of!
(Except Hadrien Feraud & Nick Oliveri who have been around for quite a while so they don't count). :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1452030380' post='2945784']
That's more like it - people I've not heard of!
(Except Hadrien Feraud & Nick Oliveri who have been around for quite a while so they don't count). :)
[/quote]

And the fact that every Hadrien Feraud recording I've heard sounds like an out-take from a 1974 Greenslade album...

To answer the original question, I think the youngest bass players that have inspired me are Leonard Hubbard, Tom Jenkinson and Stephen "Thundercat" Bruner.

But, just on the generational point.. I listen to some music from the 30s (early Jazz stuff) along with music written much longer ago ("classical music" and "traditional Irish music" will do as umbrella terms for now). So, taking the [i][b]Louis Armstrong and His Hot Five[/b] [/i]record from 1925, that's exactly 60 years before I was born. That's the equivalent of somebody born in 2000, listening to music from 1940, which still effectively pre-dates the electric bass.
So, I think every great player just [i]joins[/i] a pantheon of great bassists, rather than replacing the older ones.

Edited by alittlebitrobot

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1451923096' post='2944625']
"band" based music really isn't that popular anymore (among the under 40s) compared to the 60s, 70s and 80s so there isn't a whole lot of high profile bass players around to inspire anyone :blink: kids are far more likely to be inspired by DJs etc. playing the music they like :)
[/quote]

Many of us have been saying this for a long time.

In The States when disco music hit big in the late 70s, overnight it was no longer cool to go to concerts and see live bands.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452033444' post='2945839']
Many of us have been saying this for a long time.

In The States when disco music hit big in the late 70s, overnight it was no longer cool to go to concerts and see live bands.

Blue
[/quote]
Except in the Tri-state area where Twisted Sister were continuously breaking attendance records for an unsigned band.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1452037666' post='2945883']
Except in the Tri-state area where Twisted Sister were continuously breaking attendance records for an unsigned band.
[/quote]

Agreed.

Hey wait a minute, I'm from Jersey and Albert Anderson. ( The Wailers ) and his brother Armel lived across the street from me.Those guys exposed me to rock in the mid 60s.

I believe Armel Anderson was the original drummer for Twisted Sister.

Edit:

Ok, here is a pic of TS around 1973-1974. That's Al Anderson's brother Armel on the far right. The others are vocalist Michael Valentine, guitarit Billy Diamond and Kenny Neil on bass. Guess he was called Mel Starr at the time.Armel lent us his copy of Are You Experienced to listen to, me and my guys were a little younger than Armel.

The other pic is me with Armel's brother Albert back stage at Shank Hall last year with my youngest son and his GF.

Small world Macdaddy.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1451989603' post='2945196']
There's got to be a backlash against all the beardy sensitive singer/sonwriter guys with acoustic guitars at some point, there always is when the market becomes over saturated with one type of genre.

Who knows, 2016 could be a great year for bands, a whole new crop of inspirational young bass players could be right around the corner...
[/quote]

Don't get me started. LOL

Blue

[quote name='TomRandles97' timestamp='1452029878' post='2945775']
I think I did go a bit off subject from the original post, I was referring to what someone said in a previous comment about 'band' music not being popular with young people and went off on a bit of a tangent!

[/quote]

Never heard of any of those people. Are they in the same league as Chuck Rainy, Larry Graham, Rocco Prestia or are they more pop based?

Blue

really? no response to Thundercat? you guys need to have a listen, he's pretty much the perfect response to this thread, he's a sh!thot bassist, and has a fan base that stretches way beyond the bass community. I'm not a huge fan but many young hipster types are, and they're the ones that decide where popular music goes in the future.

http://youtu.be/lVqETCMg3SA

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452048772' post='2945921']

Never heard of any of those people. Are they in the same league as Chuck Rainy, Larry Graham, Rocco Prestia or are they more pop based?

Blue
[/quote]

Michael League is great! I certainly would describe Snarly Puppy as 'pop', so you might enjoy it!
http://youtu.be/L_XJ_s5IsQc
For me, Matt Garrison, Janek Gwizdala, Michael League and MonoNeon are top of the 'inspirational' list and watching their playing inspires me to play and practice harder :-)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1452101971' post='2946440']
really? no response to Thundercat? you guys need to have a listen, he's pretty much the perfect response to this thread, he's a sh!thot bassist, and has a fan base that stretches way beyond the bass community. I'm not a huge fan but many young hipster types are, and they're the ones that decide where popular music goes in the future. [/quote]

Very talented guy, great voice, but not my type of bass playing.I'm not sure why.

I feel Larry,Chuck and Rocco. I couldn't feel this guy and I listened through head phones. Maybe it was this particular tune.

I'm sure he can inspire the next generation though. I'm a 70s guy and pretty much stuck there.

Blue

Edited by blue

Cody Wright.

Will dig something out...he's colossal

https://youtu.be/rEmc3icj-vA

It's a trade show video, but he's like Jaco and Vega in one sitting, with a bit of victor Wooten added in...all with a pick. Heathen 😆

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1452113383' post='2946677']
Cody Wright.

Will dig something out...he's colossal

https://youtu.be/rEmc3icj-vA

It's a trade show video, but he's like Jaco and Vega in one sitting, with a bit of victor Wooten added in...all with a pick. Heathen 😆
[/quote]

Guess I'm too old school. I hear and see a lot of technique, scale knowledge and speed and no soul at all.

Generation gap on this guy. However, I'm sure he's cool and inspirational to the next generation. I'm staying back in the 70s.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452114206' post='2946693']

Guess I'm too old school. I hear and see a lot of technique, scale knowledge and speed and no soul at all.

Generation gap on this guy. However, I'm sure he's cool and inspirational to the next generation. I'm staying back in the 70s.

Blue
[/quote]

That's a fair summary, I like the guy - but I know there's an air of showy-ness to his playing, I would've put some of his band work up, he doubles up with a steel drum player and it's hard to hear him.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1452116850' post='2946737']
It's not about if they're a sh!t hot bass player... they have to look cool for a start. Also having one hummable bass line helps.
[/quote]

did you actually listen to any of his music?? hummable to the point of ridiculous. not to mention he is layin down tha funk. come on now.
listen to this one, and tell me it's not cool or hummable.

http://youtu.be/8qGigIMM1Vw

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1452189685' post='2947473']
Yawn. Next!
[/quote]

Showing your age a bit there perhaps. (i'm assuming you're not in your teens).
Whether you like it or not, ultimately its guys like these that are moving this stuff forward. Nobody outside the obsessive compulsive world of bass-players listens to the likes of Janek, Hadrien and the rest of those guys. Those people are amazing, but their audience is made up of a small circle of bass obsessives who nobody cares about. I teach 20-22 year olds at university, and most of them know who Thundercat is, because the music is accessible, and you can dance to it.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1452102972' post='2946455']
Michael League is great! I certainly would describe Snarly Puppy as 'pop', so you might enjoy it!
[/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE9I6NrE2S0

I love the jam on the beginning of Binky, Michael shows great sense of innovation and dynamic awareness. Great band.

Jamaero Artis is a great player who is well-rooted in tradition. Playing with Bruno Mars at the moment. A little dash of chops here and there but mostly a solid groover (all whilst singing and dancing!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsnChs_9IDc

Solomon Dorsey I also predict big things for, he's a fantastic player and complete musician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jZa9AdPPmM