Why become a member? ×

Producing quality posters

KingPrawn

Can anyone help. I'm looking for software to produce pro band posters. I use a Mac book pro. I've tried using word and PowerPoint. Just don't cut it. I can't get publisher for Mac. Google searches bring up a mind field of free etc. I'd like something user friendly. I'm not a complete Luddite in the IT department.

Thanks in advance

I work on the Junkyard Dogs' posters in Photoshop Elements, which is a cheap, 'lite' version of the program, and does all I need for posters, from the simplest to the most complicated design. Quick learning curve too, especially if you have previous experience of page design (for instance Quark).

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1451503628' post='2941077']
I work on the Junkyard Dogs' posters in Photoshop Elements, which is a cheap, 'lite' version of the program, and does all I need for posters, from the simplest to the most complicated design. Quick learning curve too, especially if you have previous experience of page design (for instance Quark).
[/quote]

Bluejay's nailed it, also P'shop Elements is aimed more at photography than design work - though it is good at both. It means that once you get even vaguely familiar with it you'll be able to make better band pics to use on your posters.
This time of year especially you'll get a copy of Elements in the sale at PC World I would imagine.

There's also a company called Serif who make a lot of generic programmes, they'll negotiate themselves to hell to get a sale & their stuff is very easy & commercial print friendly. - Downside is they're hard to stop pestering you with follow up calls.

Edited by Big_Stu

Having seen the OP, and before seeing the posts from EliasMooseblaster and alittlebitrobot, I went off to have a look at what was available and came across the awfully named Gimp and decided to give it a go. Now my software skills are pretty basic, but with the help of a couple of youtube guides I managed to create a fairly basic poster that was infinitely better than past attempts on MS Word. I'd highly recommend it.

If you're on a Mac & don't want to spend out on Photoshop, maybe give Pixelmator a try - it's fairly cheap, think it has a trial too:

http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/

It may be more for photo editing though, but I'm sure you could go someway towards decent posters with it.

You can also buy pre-made posters pretty cheap, like from here:
http://graphicriver.net/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&term=band&view=grid&sort=&date=&category=print-templates%2Fflyers&price_min=&price_max=&sales=&rating_min=

You would need photoshop/similar to edit them though to fill in the blanks, or as suggested above ask someone with the software & the knowhow.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1451511773' post='2941199']
Yes it does. No point in having good ideas and then losing the will to live through attempting to use MS Word to turn them into posters. ;) :D
[/quote]

I would disagree. IMO the key to getting a good looking poster is having some design skills in the first place.

Having decent quality tools will make the job easier, but it's by no means an absolute requirement.

And there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do something awesome with MS Word. After all it's only a glorified typewriter and typewriters are capable of some spectacular images:

Edited by BigRedX