Why become a member? ×

Pedal preamps?

cocco

Tech21 VT DI is great if you want the Ampeg sound, would thoroughly recommend it - better mids than the BDDI. However the one I currently use is the Aguilar Tonehammer and I really like it. Sweepable mids, a really aggressive drive if needed, can go from modern sounding with big bottom end to really old-school, warm & gnarly, plus clean it also sounds really nice. Only possible downsides are needing an 18v PSU if you use PSUs, and it`s quite heavy.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1450889596' post='2936781']
DHA VT1 DI EQ. I've tried Sansamps, MXRs, Aguilars and kept coming back to the Dave Hall - if you want the sound of a valve being driven hard, then get a valve and drive it hard!
[/quote]

As you'll see from my signature there is no lack of valves in my rig. I've never heard of that one. I'm gonna Google it :)

I have also had the Sansamp Bass Driver for the last 6-7 years. I have also tried the EBS Valvedrive, which was a lot more transparent but a pain in the whole to gig with (12v AC power supply, large pedal footbprint, valve pedal so more likely to go wrong) and Electro Harmonix English Muff'n (pretty much the same problems as the EBS but less flexible EQ and less good build quality, slightly more gritty sound though).

The Darkglass pedals are getting good reviews at the moment.

You could also look at the Rusty Box.