Why become a member? ×

I think I want to start a band

AntLockyer

I want to be in an old school funk/soul band. Meters, Vulfpeck, Tower of Power, KC Roberts, Daptones kind of thing.

I'm trying to decide what the best way to go about this is. When I look at Vulfpeck I can't help think that they spend a heck of a lot of time together jamming on those tunes and record a lot of stuff. My personal circumstances probably wouldn't allow that given we'd have to all get into a studio all day and pay for it.

I do however have my own studio and can play a little bit of drums and guitar and am going to put a bit of work in on the keys too. I also spend the majority of my time in there as I use it as my office so in between meetings etc. I can have a play and use my unwinding time to write songs. https://soundcloud.com/antlockyer/first-time quick example of my noodling, first thing I knocked together to hear what the space sounded like.

So do I write an albums worth of songs, playing all the parts to the best of my ability and then use that demo to get guys to record and play them live (with better solos and performances) or advertise now for guys and write good songs as a group?

I'm leaning towards to former but am concerned then I become the band leader rather than it being a collective effort and that the creativity will be all mine and I'll run out of talent :)

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1450863888' post='2936454']
If you genuinely want a collective effort, I would record your basic ideas so that there is enough of each tune for others to grasp but that there is not so much that they feel inhibited about suggesting changes.
[/quote]

+1 on this, or a hybrid of the two, where you get tracks to a certain standard and then "sell" it to others but with the proviso you want their input on developing the tunes.

Good luck with the project, some great inspiration there to work from. Off to listen to your Soundcloud track now.

Back having listened to the Soundcloud recording - that's cool, love the interval played on guitar at 0.17 (ish). As per my previous post, I now definitely think you should have the songs written and demoed first, so they are your songs, and then the band can put their collective stamp on it so they have creative input, but they are your songs.

If you're going to collaborate you'll also need to let go a bit - you'll be asking for input from the rest of the band and take the bare groove you lay down and arrange and structure it. Difficult at times when the bit of the song that was key to you (maybe a groove or specific detail) is lost in the process.

A three-piece I was in years ago worked really well - the singer/guitarist was prolific at turning out decent tunes. He'd bring them to a rehearsal and we'd lean the basic structure and then arrange and flesh it out from there. Sometimes the drummer or I would have a great idea and we'd work that in. Sometimes the whole song would morph to something very different than the writer's original vision but it worked.

Alternatively you can turn up with it fully formed and insist on it being done that way - you'll need fairly passive band mates and excellent writing/arranging ability. Writing by committee can be really slow though...

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1450863855' post='2936452']
You could always do the first album that way, and then open up the floor for everyone else's input when you come to write a new set of material - didn't do the Foo Fighters any harm!

Like that first sound clip, by the way, it's got a nice groove going on!
[/quote]

Another +1 here
Get the songs recorded, and let other prospective musicians know, this is just a demo - the Genesis of ideas
and that you very much want their input and ideas, but that's the basis of the sound and vibe you're heading towards

In fact, it may be best not to give potential members "whole tracks", but samples, ideas and riffs, or basic structures that capture the feel you're after. Perhaps make these "samples" long-ish, so they can jam along to them, maybe?

Anyhow, sounds good, and it sounds as though you know where you want to be
I too like the groove of that clip - nice :)

Good luck

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1450863598' post='2936450']
I want to be in an old school funk/soul band. Meters, Vulfpeck, Tower of Power, KC Roberts, Daptones kind of thing.

I'm trying to decide what the best way to go about this is. When I look at Vulfpeck I can't help think that they spend a heck of a lot of time together jamming on those tunes and record a lot of stuff. My personal circumstances probably wouldn't allow that given we'd have to all get into a studio all day and pay for it.

I do however have my own studio and can play a little bit of drums and guitar and am going to put a bit of work in on the keys too. I also spend the majority of my time in there as I use it as my office so in between meetings etc. I can have a play and use my unwinding time to write songs. https://soundcloud.com/antlockyer/first-time quick example of my noodling, first thing I knocked together to hear what the space sounded like.

So do I write an albums worth of songs, playing all the parts to the best of my ability and then use that demo to get guys to record and play them live (with better solos and performances) or advertise now for guys and write good songs as a group?

I'm leaning towards to former but am concerned then I become the band leader rather than it being a collective effort and that the creativity will be all mine and I'll run out of talent :)
[/quote]

Great genre however, I am not sure why you want to do this. Will it be a gigging band or recording project?

I ask because while I grew up with and love it, I know this genre does not have the appeal it once had.

Blue

Edited by blue

Well after my 9 hour drive yesterday I gave it a lot of thought. I'm going to aim to record an album as much as I can on my own although I do know a few great musicians who I could ask for help on some tracks. and then if I can get it together with some other guys go and gig that material.

I think the appeal here is greater than you think. I know Cory Henry is a super hero but his funk/jazz band have sold out venues all over the world.

Edited by AntLockyer

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1450913572' post='2937081']
Great genre however, I am not sure why you want to do this. Will it be a gigging band or recording project?

I ask because while I grew up with and love it, I know this genre does not have the appeal it once had.

Blue
[/quote]

We do old Meters tracks... a few blues classics, Bobby Blue Bland, Neville Bros and over to Fred Wesley, War, etc

You have to pick the right places to play but jamming is a HUGE part of it.
Can go down a storm but I'd not waste the gig on a cold audience tbh..

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1450950759' post='2937243']
Well after my 9 hour drive yesterday I gave it a lot of thought. I'm going to aim to record an album as much as I can on my own although I do know a few great musicians who I could ask for help on some tracks. and then if I can get it together with some other guys go and gig that material.

I think the appeal here is greater than you think. I know Cory Henry is a super hero but his funk/jazz band have sold out venues all over the world.
[/quote]

I don't doubt that there's a greater appeal in your neck of the woods. Over here, not many want to hear the great funk genres of the 70s. Depressing how such a great genre fell out of grace.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1450951889' post='2937256']
Thinking about it though, I'm not doing this because I think it will be a commercial success. That is not something that is even considered or is important.
[/quote]

So your doing for you own personal enjoyment and appreciation of the genre.

Blue

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1450990784' post='2937757']
I'm just compelled to do it. I love listening to those bands and feel inspired and creative when I do. That's as far as my analysis goes.
[/quote]

Best of luck to you. Let us know how you get on

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1450990784' post='2937757']
I'm just compelled to do it. I love listening to those bands and feel inspired and creative when I do. That's as far as my analysis goes.
[/quote]

I seriously dig this attitude.
Know your craft, know your heart, do the work, don't overanalyse.

Success with this project!
Bert

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1451036571' post='2937921']
full of ideas and initial enthusiasm but have hundreds of unfinished things.
[/quote]

I'm reporting you to the police for identity theft!
It's a major crime, ya know! :angry:

When I was in a similar situation, I made a set of rules for myself, and built a database of ideas.
Good for discipline as well as relaxation.

I do have a couple of things to try and get me through that issue. Quite a few from a book called "Making Music: 74 Creative Strategies for Electronic Music Producers". One thing I am going to try is to get 20 or so break beats recorded one day. I can then use them for the basis of whatever I'm working on and replay them once I've got the full track mapped out.