Why become a member? ×

Changing tone

AntLockyer

Hello. Had my first rehearsal for a couple of months last night (I moved house, band leader's wife had a baby). The room we had in the studio had a stage so we setup as if we were at a gig and played. After playing like this for a couple of songs and really listening I felt my standard setup just wasn't really cutting through. So I opened the tone control wide open and turned up a little bit (for a bit more dynamic ability).

What a difference, now I'm running my EBS Reidmar into a Genz Benz 2x12 with the amp flat and my 62 P bass with TI flats wide open on both controls.

We are a 3 piece band and I'd been thinking about some sort of effect pedal to fill out the sound, now I think it sits just right. Would never have thought about doing this previously, fresh ears were the answer I think.

I always have both controls wide open on a passive P-Bass, so get whatever the pickup has got to give - then I EQ from the amp. A passive tone control is a treble cut, it doesn't 'add' bass, so in effect you're missing something. :)

Edited by discreet

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1450434587' post='2932706']
I always have both controls wide open on a passive P-Bass, so get whatever the pickup has got to give - then I EQ from the amp. A passive tone control is a treble cut, it doesn't 'add' bass, so in effect you're missing something. :)
[/quote]

Passive tone controls also interact with the capacitive loading of your lead so your tone is likely to vary greatly depending on quality and length of the lead, so yes I'd always recommend having passive tone on "full" and EQing at the amp.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1450431339' post='2932661']
and turned up a little bit (for a bit more dynamic ability).

[/quote]

I did this a short while ago and loved the result. Stupidly gone back to turning down and digging in. Will make the effort to switch again.

Met another bass playing Lockyer recently, over in Fareham - any relation?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1450434587' post='2932706']
[/quote]

Definitely this. I've always found the sound with the tone rolled off on any passive bass to be more muffled and indistinct with less punch rather than fatter or deeper.

I suppose it depends if you change your tone much for different songs and whether you can reach your amp shoehorned in the corner of the Dog & Duck. Or indeed if you have time between songs. Personally I find my passive tone control very useful and use it all the time. I don't feel I have anything missing from my tone when it's rolled off

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1450522177' post='2933526']
Yep, everything on full, then use different attack, playing nearer/further from the bridge, use different strings for the same notes, all make - to me - some real difference in what is played.
[/quote]

Even if you don't take that approach to playing, having the passive tone and volume controls on the instrument set to full in gets the hottest signal through the lead, then you can always turn the gain down on the amp. If your dead set on using the basses controls then fitting a on board pre-amp is a good idea.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1450523529' post='2933549']
Even if you don't take that approach to playing, having the passive tone and volume controls on the instrument set to full in gets the hottest signal through the lead, then you can always turn the gain down on the amp. If your dead set on using the basses controls then fitting a on board pre-amp is a good idea.
[/quote]

Tone is tone. It's not necessarily the 'hottest' signal through the lead that gives the best tone for any particular occasion. Just sayin'.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1450526053' post='2933585']
It's not necessarily the 'hottest' signal through the lead that gives the best tone for any particular occasion. Just sayin'.
[/quote]

True but running a hot signal through the lead and then setting the gain/EQ at the amp will produce that tone with more consistency and with the lowest noise level.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1450526053' post='2933585']

Tone is tone. It's not necessarily the 'hottest' signal through the lead that gives the best tone for any particular occasion. Just sayin'.
[/quote]

True.

A good tone is a good tone however you achieve it

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1450473292' post='2933263']

Definitely this. I've always found the sound with the tone rolled off on any passive bass to be more muffled and indistinct with less punch rather than fatter or deeper.
[/quote]

I'd agree with this Painy, definitely my experience also. Run all controls flat out on my Jazz.