Why become a member? ×

Warwick and their 'new' pricing system

funkyjimbob

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1452076987' post='2946076']
Final words on this: Taking any problems you have with a manufacturer to forums or social media instead of solving it with that manufacturer says more about you as a person then it does about that manufacturer.

Ugh.
[/quote]

That's the power of social media, unfortunately, in some cases; and in no way says more about the OP than Warwick. I think the OP has been wholly fair tbh. How would you propse the issue was resolved with Warwick? Given that the work gas been completed by a very highly regarded man at a fraction of the cost?

The fact that Warwick would write off the repair cost if another expensive bass was ordered shows how preposterous this really is.

I think perhaps the issue here is that the quote Warwick gave probably was in line with the work involved, a full refinish, new LEDs etc etc, however none of that was necessary or wanted in the eyes of the customer, you just wanted the neck issue resolved, but they were all or nothing.

So whilst I agree that Warwick shouldn't necessarily be vilified, I think if they want to seriously attract current users to them for servicing (which in turn would likely create further sales), they should be much more flexible with the elements of that servicing they deem to be necessary.

And yes, the sales offer certainly throws up questions as to how they can write off $3000 from the cost of the service, or perhaps the other way of thinking of it is $3000 from the cost of the bass.

In any case, the work is done, Martin has done a great job by the looks of it. Long live british luthiers :)

Si

The high end Warwicks, currently labeled custom shop products are what they are. High end basses.
Not only purchasing one costs a lot of money, service on them after the guarantee period also costs a lot of money.

The same goes for high end cars and other goods. It is nice to own a Ferrari, but any service on it in the future will set you back quite some pounds/euros/dollars. This is why only rich people drive Ferrari.

Yes even I sometimes ridicule the high prices asked for spare parts or service, but these prices come with the product you have chosen. They decide their pricing system, not you. I wouldn't ever buy a new Warwick custom shop product as I do not ever want to spend more then approx 2k on ANY instrument. I am a weekend warrior not some rockstar millionaire.

I just think it is a shame Warwick are being portrayed the way they are by this thread. They are by no means an evil company and my experience with their customer service has been nothing short of exemplary and awesome.

After having bought a used Warwick broadneck Dolphin Pro1 fretless five string from 1991, (which by the way is on at least one Simply Red album) the removable truss rod appeared to resonate inside the neck with some notes being played. I mailed Warwick asking what could cause this problem and within half a day Hans Peter Wilfer himself replied, sending me a photograph of the silicon grease I needed to re-apply as over the years the grease must have either dried out or was whiped off the truss rod by a previous owner. I ordered a similar pack of silicon grease, applied it to the truss rod and the problem was gone. What manufacturer offers this kind of service/advice to people using 2nd hand market instruments and therefor are no customers at all? Exactly. Most would have replied "take the bass to a dealer to get a quote".

About the truss rod remark someone else made here:

Thousands of Warwicks have been manufactured and sold, and are being played without anyone ever hearing about these instruments. They simply work. Over the last five or six years I have heard/read (I'm an admin on the Warwick forum but do not work for them) about only a hand full of problems with necks and/or truss rods. That's not a lot is it? Yet they get slag. Booh!

Of course, if your neck goes bad on a standard Fender like bass you can simply purchase a brand X new neck in the aftermarket and your problem is solved. With Warwicks, and especially the neckthru models this of course is not the case.

Final words on this: Taking any problems you have with a manufacturer to forums or social media instead of solving it with that manufacturer says more about you as a person then it does about that manufacturer.

Ugh.
[/quote]

I think with regards to the price Warwick quoted, you have completely missed the main criticism in this thread. It is comparable to you taking your Ferrari back to the Ferrari dealer with a punctured tyre and them quoting to replace the axle, both wheels and tyres. And, I think you know as well as many that the Custom Shop label is exactly that, a label. They are the same German built basses they have built for the past few years, only with a slow introduction of new 'features' to distinguish them from the fairer priced instruments, one of which being those godawful wooden tuners.

With regards to support of 2nd hand basses, to be honest from all of the reasonably high end brands I have owned I have always had service as you describe, so Warwick in your view are on a par with them. However, stories like this one are really not nice to read. You know how much I love Warwick basses, but they genuinely do not seem to want to even consider after market repairs.

Exactly, guys.

When I originally contacted Warwick they quoted me just the price of the truss replacement and the cost of tidying it back up again... ranged from 500-1000 euros. The guy I spoke to then said he had to query something with the boss and that's when I got the quote back with all the extra stuff on that I didn't need to be done.

The funniest thing is, I was was quoted 1800 euros for the LED's to be refitted afterwards. Martin at Sims charges £500 to fit a set in a new guitar!! And he was the man who used to fit them for Warwick (and most likely does a better job too).

It was a 'thanks but no thanks' quote. They didn't want the work.

Edited by funkyjimbob

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1452092946' post='2946312']
Exactly, guys.

When I originally contacted Warwick they quoted me just the price of the truss replacement and the cost of tidying it back up again... ranged from 500-1000 euros. The guy I spoke to then said he had to query something with the boss and that's when I got the quote back with all the extra stuff on that I didn't need to be done.

The funniest thing is, I was was quoted 1800 euros for the LED's to be refitted afterwards. Martin at Sims charges £500 to fit a set in a new guitar!! And he was the man who used to fit them for Warwick (and most likely does a better job too).

It was a 'thanks but no thanks' quote. They didn't want the work.
[/quote]

Unless I'm mistaken there wasn't the bass is not as standard? You'd already added LEDs hadn't you?

If you send the bass to Warwick, their position would be that will as standard practise they will warranty the bass after the work is done. Sounds to me like the quote was one that reflects a situation of Warwick not really wanting to get involved in a bass with non-Warwick LEDs. I were in their position I'd do exactly the same. Why should they warranty LEDs they don't know? I sell LED technology for a living and most LEDs sold on the market are crap.

I guess where Warwick may have gone wrong is maybe they should have simply said, "you've customised it, you're on your own". The course they took did, however, leave you with an option.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1452106926' post='2946531']
Unless I'm mistaken there wasn't the bass is not as standard? You'd already added LEDs hadn't you?

If you send the bass to Warwick, their position would be that will as standard practise they will warranty the bass after the work is done. Sounds to me like the quote was one that reflects a situation of Warwick not really wanting to get involved in a bass with non-Warwick LEDs. I were in their position I'd do exactly the same. Why should they warranty LEDs they don't know? I sell LED technology for a living and most LEDs sold on the market are crap.

I guess where Warwick may have gone wrong is maybe they should have simply said, "you've customised it, you're on your own". The course they took did, however, leave you with an option.
[/quote]

You are mistaken. The original build was all done through Warwick (who were using Martin for the LED's at the time. Martin used to be Warwick's LED guy) and there was no later customisation by the original owner.

Edited by funkyjimbob

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1452112124' post='2946637']
You are mistaken. The original build was all done through Warwick (who were using Martin for the LED's at the time. Martin used to be Warwick's LED guy) and there was no later customisation by the original owner.
[/quote]

Is it possible having LED's fitted could affect the neck at all?

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1452116993' post='2946739']
Not sure to be completely honest!
[/quote]

It was just a thought, I'm not a luthier maybe someone can enlighten us

Ugh.
[/quote]

What exactly does airing a grievance say to you about a person? it's not as if the OP didn't try and work with Warwick to find a solution. People on here are as likely to praise good service as they are to question poor service and they are right to do so.

Ugh is about right! :rolleyes:

Edited by Subbeh

So, the Warwick arrived back with me yesterday and for the first time since I have owned it the neck is getting forward bow and adding relief. This is exactly what we wanted as the problem in the first place was the neck back-bowing!! In fact, the bass is still getting more and more relief as it acclimatises. Because there was only a few mm on the truss nut available when loosening the truss this is brilliant news as the more I tighten it, the more thread it eats up inside giving me more room to play with. Martin rang me today and said to tighten the truss a quarter turn periodically over the course of the next few days until it settles back down again. I play with very low action so will try and get it as flat as possible. Very please so far. Sent Martin the pics and he's pleased.

Here are some pictures!

LOOK!! FORWARD BOW!!!

• 2 weeks later...

This thread finally prompted me to have the truss rod on my 2003 Thumb Bolt-On looked at and I've had similar bad news -

[quote]The truss rod is pretty much frozen/jammed/cross threaded and doesn't want to move significantly in either direction. I have a feeling the anchorpoint which is approx under the 16 fret has moved, causing the rod to twist[/quote]

Email sent to Warwick Support to see if/what they can do to help.
:(

I would add to this discussion that we don't really know Warwick's cost-base or, "opportunity cost" - what else the same employees can create during the same man-hours. It may genuinely cost them several times more to pull out from a standard manufacturing process to address a non-standard job than it would a smaller, local luthier, whose business consists of such commissions. Warwick may pay their employees more or their carbon-neutral facility may just cost more to run ;)

Ultimately it's a business decision - and, as a business, if you don't really want the work but still have to quote for it, you may decide to price it highly (i'm not saying that's necessarily the case here, though). I think that would reflect the direction of the business and how much the customer really wants the "brand XYZ" experience....

Glad the OP got the bass sorted at a good price.

Edited by roman_sub

I've been estimated £640 for a new neck for my 2003 Thumb BO 4. I suppose that's not too bad considering the current retail price for a brand new equivalent bass, but I bought mine back when they were £999 new. They did acknowledge that their price was in the high side.

Whilst by no means in the Ferrari owning class I consider myself lucky to be the proud owner of some nice ACG basses. When I discussed making a few tweaks to one bass that I acquired (not of my own specification) the estimated costs were extremely reasonable and were a fraction of the cost of the bass so I'm afraid that I'm really not on board with the comments by DiMarco.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='happynoj' timestamp='1456597727' post='2990656']
I love my Warwicks but I bought them all used and I won't be buying a brand new one without a hefty lottery win.
[/quote]

These are my feelings too. I was going to order a BN Buckeye (darker wood) Infinity 6 string but have thought against it now. Used-only from here on. Of all the Warwicks I have owned I have bought 2 from new, A Streamer Stage 1 (£2000) and a Warwick 5 BO BN (£1150). I think these basses cost around double that now?!

Update on my Infinity. It's playing great and has stopped moving about in temperature changes. Had band practise last night in near freezing and played fine! A very happy camper right here.

All's well that ends well!

Given Warwicks reputation it's dissapointing to see the innards of that truss rod cavity:

The use of a hardwood (Wenge I think) for the bearing surface the brass pushes against is pretty clever - but to not have adaquate thickness of wood behind it is lunacy. It might work with a tough wood like Wenge but only if the force is acting across the grain. The piece in the above pic was never going to take significant pressure with the grain runnning in that direction. There is only the wood between the two circular routings (at most a couple of inches) and it's all along the grain (with the exception of the caping laminates). It was also a mistake to put a square piece of brass bearing against a curved cutout wall - It might have held up if the brass was milled to the same shape as the cutout, and thus the pressure didn't concentrate on that edge - Where "coincidently" it broke. :facepalm: