Why become a member? ×

Storing basses in attic?

TPTroll

I put an old bass in the attic many years ago, after one summer/ winter it looked like a banana.

I have basses/ guitars stashed everywhere around the house, you can get quite creative if trying to make them invisible to the feurer..... Under the bed, under the couch, behind the couch, ontop of wardrobe, under kids beds, ontop of kids wardrobes, in the back of wardrobes behind clothes hung up, cupboards, i could go on......... However, understand space is a premium espesh im modern houses....
You could if pushed to use the loft , create a little purpose made store/ upright box with some sheets of ply or even plaster board, insulate the sides and top really well with rockwool or kingspan or the like, remove the insulation from underneath it so that the heat from the house can conduct / migrate up into the little box you build just like it does from say a heated bedroom into an unheated cupboard nextdoor on your landing , pack it with silica gel packs....You could reduce the temp change risk massivley i guess and maintain a fairly similar temp to rest of house as the heat from house will naturally rise if you remive the insulation on top of ceiling the heat loss from landing will be enough to keep things happy. ....you could even cut a small hole inceiling and fit a grill to encourage house ambient temp into your lofty love box .?

Seems excessive sure, but a fun project and some peice of mind.... Ooo i do get carried away with "man craft" :)

Of course id only advise this for anything of a value you dont mind taking a risk with.

Edited by Wonky2

I put a bass in the attic when I first moved in, it was an old bass I didn't play much and I had just got a new one. Didn't mean to leave it but you know how things go.

Its been 8 years since we moved in and a few weeks I got it down as I wanted to do a project. It was still in tune, although the strings dont feel good. Other than that, it is exactly as it was when I put it up there.

However, it isn't worth anything so maybe don't try this at home!

I did that for a couple of years when I needed a bit of extra space. They all were in full aluminium and hexaboard flight cases with dense foam inside so pretty well insulated inside. I never had any problems with them whatever the weather/temperature was, never even had to adjust the neck even on the through neck ones which are supposedly more susceptible to environment changes.

The simple rule that I was always told was to store my bass in a place that I would be happy to spend time in - if its too hot/cold/damp for you to want to sit in that environment for long hours then it's no good for your bass either. A good quality hard-case might help quite a bit by keeping the worst of the temperature changes and damp away, but I would still be very very careful about storing stuff in such places.

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1450304664' post='2931610']

I have basses/ guitars stashed everywhere around the house, you can get quite creative if trying to make them invisible to the feurer..... Under the bed...
[/quote]

My older bro tried this when he was lent a bass as a kid. The trouble is someone went off with it... That's how I got into playing bass.

On the matter of basses in the loft, there's a lot of variation in the conditions you'll find in lofts in different houses. So the answer depends on what the house is like.