Why become a member? ×

MARKBASS Little mark 3 & 102p (2x10) traveler - new amp day !!!!

Wonky2

Tomorrow I should take delivery of my new Mark Bass little mark 3 head and 102p traveler 2x10 cabinet.

The anticipation is killing me !!! Hahahaha

I will give some feedback tomorrow on first impressions as a new markbass user...but I wanted to start this post in advance to talk about where I made the purchase.
my initial intention was to buy the cmd121p combo as discussed in other posts here, and although I'm advised the 121p has a great sound and output, my concern was that I would end up wanting to add a 2nd 121ny cab.... I wanted strictly to get sorted with a lighter, one unit solution and the thought of two cabs no matter how small just didn't appeal.
I looked at the 151p, 121h and even the Alain Caron as a solution, but size and weight managed to creep up with these options.

After checking in with a local , the great British bass lounge, unfortunately stock was an issue anyway with the 121p with end of January advised as a lead time :( Drew was great and had help patiently with my deliberations. Great guy......

A bit of looking around showed this stick issue as a bit of an issue with Markbass not getting dealership stock levels replenished for Xmas ??? Something I'll bet will cost them in some cases....
I eventually came upon a place I've not used before in morcombe called promenade music. The prices listed where by quite a bit the cheapest in the net, bettered further by promis of free delivery.
After a chat on the phone with Gary I had some better direction from a guy who is not only a working bass player , but someone who clearly has plenty of experience. We discussed my requirements and concerns at length, and after a short time agreed that the 121p would indeed likely leave me yearning for an ext cab. The conclusion on the 151p, 121h and Alain Caron was size and weight was no good for me due to mobility issues and use of crutches a lot of the time (arthritis A.S). Gary suggested the 102p and little mark 3 head, advised from 1st hand experience in regard to can ohmage choice.....two speakers moving more air, atenuator in the piezo speaker, still fairly small and one unit.... I was convinced and what's more reassured with the solid statement that if it is not suitable after playing for a few days, whether it be size, weight, sound , they would collect it and we could move on or refund.
I could not be happier with that arrangement.

To ice the cake, Gary threw in the little mark gig bag at trade price and a Speakon lead for free.

Top guy, top customer service.

Prices :

Little mark head £389
102p cabinet. £339
Gig bag. £40
Speakon lead. £0
Delivery. £0

i never thought I'd go down the mark bass route, too much yellow, not keen on woolybacked amp finishes too....... But after hearing one, that just didn't matter. Can't wait to hear it.......

Edited by Wonky2

Good answer :) hahaha
The appeal of the little mark 3 is its simplicity..... For me, less to fiddle with.

I've gone with the 8ohm cab as it leaves the option but I just don't want to or don't think I'll need to go down a 2nd cab route.....
I have pondered, that in mind, should I have just gone 4 ohm and unleashed the 500w from the head but general consensus from what I've read is its a marginal difference......

Not looking on the pessimistic side, but if I ever wanted to sell the cab or the whole rig, other people / buyers will likely prefer the 8ohm cab to either go with their own existing or if they buy the rig, allow them to expand..... so there is an advantage and some foresight there too....... I'm sure I would love a 2nd cab too but the band would never need it, I would never carry it and I've nowhere to keep it. Buff said on that's one :)

Edited by Wonky2

I couldn't possibly suggest that you'd made a great choice there. But only coz I'd be accused of gross bias!

You'll get a great sound and plenty of volume form the 2x10. I've used it on its own in several situations with/against drummers. Mind you, I did plump for the 8 ohm, two cab option! ;-)

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1449746506' post='2926408']
Notice you have them on the long 'side', I used a hairdryer to gently remove the badge, spin it 90 degrees so the cab sits on its narrow side with the badge now horizontal
[/quote]

Oooo ooo picture please :) did it stick back on with original glue or did you have to use new glue ?
Curious if you stuck it on top middle or bottom ?

Maybe mark bass should put the badge in the box loose for new owner to choose, peel and stick placement ?

First impressions......

Delivery from promenade spot on , within 24 hour for free. Was at work waiting for me when I got in today.
Also, Gary threw in a pack of strings and a speak on lead too which was very kind given the low price.

On picking up the cab box I did at first think the weight was a tad moor than I expected, but new the thick heavy duty cardboard and packaging would likely weigh a bit ,and the lack of handle in the box made it tricky...... But out of the box, no problem ! Great Leighton weight and Carey's well balanced in one hand with the top loaded heavy duty metal handle (not keen on the rubber strap types ).
Build quality and finish was great and the look is sleek.

The little mark..... Every one in the office marvelled at how small and light my new 500w amp head was.... Again, the look and build quality looks great.

The head gig bag.... Sold at cost price of £40..... Fantastic ! Quality is just what I would like for carrying a delicate amp around , very very rugged and robust, well worth every penny.

Got it home for a quick set up and play ....(quick) very load, very tight sound.... Flat eq is great and not really any sense in doing much other than dialling in the tube tone or scoop filter to adjust sound.... Both of which very different in effect, both great too. Somewhere in between the two is just great........

Waiting for kids to go to bed then I can have a closer look.

First impressions, great choice. I can see why this set up will cut through anything.

Yeah, will take a look, never seen one in the .....plastic ? (Flesh) always thought they looked a bit naff from the pics online but read up,a bit and clearly they are far more than the bit of vinyl they look at first glance on the net..... (My bad) ((what ever that means ))

Edited by Wonky2

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1449746506' post='2926408']
Notice you have them on the long 'side', I used a hairdryer to gently remove the badge, spin it 90 degrees so the cab sits on its narrow side with the badge now horizontal
[/quote]

Actually, I'm more likely to use it solo on the short edge as a kind of nano-stack but still angled back. The photo was of two church services where we wanted a low visual profile. When I use it on end I just live with the fact that the logo is at 90 degrees. With the 1x15 it always sits on top as a mini stack as in the photo.

I looked at Roq for my NY 121 cabs, but baulked at the prices, and they only have limited protection against knocks in transit

So I decided to keep the original boxes that mine shipped in. Well , one original MB and one regular. I covered up most of the shipping labels and whatnot and then fitted strong ' handles ' , which is in fact a recycled very strong bass case.

The boxes are different sizes so when the cabs are removed, one stores inside the other.

Also, i use foam inbetween the fold flat raiser, and foam inbetween the 2 cabs. This will stop rubbing marks

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1449921518' post='2927970']
I looked at Roq for my NY 121 cabs, but baulked at the prices, and they only have limited protection against knocks in transit

So I decided to keep the original boxes that mine shipped in. Well , one original MB and one regular. I covered up most of the shipping labels and whatnot and then fitted strong ' handles ' , which is in fact a recycled very strong bass case.

They' boxes are different sizes so when the cabs are removed, one stores inside the other.

Also, i use foam inbetween the fold flat raiser, and foam inbetween the 2 cabs. This will stop rubbing marks

[/quote]
Hillbilly Cases-used similar years ago before they invented the modern cover!