Why become a member? ×

Gigging and the costs - what would you do in this situation?

Naetharu

Hi folks,

My band started gigging this week: we did our first two on Thursday and Friday night and it was fantastic. We've been asked by the headline band from Friday if we would like to share a gig with them in January in another town. The catch is that we would be hiring the hall and paying for the sound-tech outselves. Chances are we would be out of pocket doing the gig by around £40 as a band.

Now my feeling is that:

(1) We're a brand new band and this is a great chance to play to a crowd of around 200 people (estimating numbers based on the previous time the band in question played there) - it would give us some major local exposure.

(2) Its also a great chance to build up some solid relationships with a couple of local bands that are already doing the rounds and that means more gigging oppertunities down the road.

Given the above I feel we should take it. We play original music in the prog/metal vein so its not like its super-easy to get gigs in the first place, and right now getting known for doing a good live show (which by all accounts we do) seems to be a smart move even if it costs a little.

The others in the band are either torn or against doing it because they feel we should not have to pay for the hall hire and hence be out of pocket.

So, what would you do? Would you look at this as an investment for the bands future or would you simply say no and refuse to play unless you get paid for it (keeping in mind its not a venue but another local band hosting and someone has to pay for everything).

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]''another local band hosting and someone has to pay''[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]'I've got this great idea fellas - lets run a gig & stitch the support act for the ex's'[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I may be being a trifle harsh, but probably not..............[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :unsure:[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1449339104' post='2922765']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]''another local band hosting and someone has to pay''[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]'I've got this great idea fellas - lets run a gig & stitch the support act for the ex's'[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I may be being a trifle harsh, but probably not..............[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :unsure:[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]
[/quote]

Aye, I see where you are coming from. Though to be honest the cost is being split 3 ways evenly. And we are getting the benefit of exposure to their fans which is a big plus for us. I don't know the main band well but the one time I have met them they came across as some of the most friendly, un-egotistical and all around nice people I've met in a long time. I very much doubt in this case its a stich up.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1449339380' post='2922769']
Are you charging on the door, and if so, does your band get the money for putting up the capital to put on the gig?
[/quote]

In this case there is no charge on the door. We will get a cut from the bar profits however, but I think we can expect to go in and make a (smallsih) loss.

Look at it another way. If you had to pay for advertising, how much would that cost? Doing it this way you are playing to a crowd who are likely to be simpithetic to your music. Advertising can never guarantee your target audience will ever see that advert.

If this was a case of a promoter bringing in bands with a 'pay to play' ethic, then your band mates would have a point, but if, as I think I understand, it's a concert put on by 3 local groups themselves, it would be normal to all chip in and bear the burden. It's not a matter of principle ('We shouldn't have to pay...'), but a part of promoting your music and presence on the 'scene'. Your mates have already spent quite a lot on their gear; surely a bit more won't go amiss (assuming you're not all stony-broke..?). Would you not have to pay for a rehearsal hall, anyway..? I'd say, go for it, unless it'll end up with bad feelings all round, and good luck to all of you.

I'll agree with most people who've replied so far and say go for it.
Assuming there's maybe four of you in the band. That's a tenner each. Three pints of beer?
There might be enough time to get some merchandise made; t-shirts, stickers etc. That way you could get some revenue.
The other band sound like good guys and a wise connection. Would you jeopardise working with them again if you turn this one down?

I'd want to see what the split on costs was.......... and will you start to get yours back if you make more than evens???

If you do front money, I'd cap it, and that and no more..

I'd also want 'proof' or evidence that they've hit the numbers before

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1449339401' post='2922770']

Aye, I see where you are coming from. Though to be honest the cost is being split 3 ways evenly. And we are getting the benefit of exposure to their fans which is a big plus for us. I don't know the main band well but the one time I have met them they came across as some of the most friendly, un-egotistical and all around nice people I've met in a long time. I very much doubt in this case its a stich up.
[/quote]

For those of us that have been around gigging for the last 50 years or so there's one word we always question. "Exposure". In most cases it means nothing and your usually exposed to nothing.

I also know how tough it is for original bands to get gigs, which also means there will be people that will try to take advantage of you.

I would take a hard stance:

"We'll play, but we're not paying any expenses."

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1449343670' post='2922818']
It's not all about money.....if between you 40 quid isn't too much damage go for it. Costs more than that to rehearse and you will get some followers from it.
[/quote]

Sounds like someone will be making money, why do bands always have to take the hit?

Yeah, you might puck up a few followers and then you might not.

I prefer to pick up followers from paying gigs.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1449344698' post='2922824']
Another vote for going for it - as others have said, £40 isn't a lot between you, it sounds like fun and you might make some good contacts.
[/quote]

I agree if the band is in business of "fun".

I know I'm harsh, however it's only because I don't like seeing bands being taken advantage of because they want to play so bad.

How would you feel if you over heard someone say:

"Yeah they're a new band I think I can get them to help pay some expenses. They really want to play."

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449345053' post='2922827']
I agree if the band is in business of "fun".

I know I'm harsh, however it's only because I don't like seeing bands being taken advantage of because they want to play so bad.

How would you feel if you over heard someone say:

"Yeah they're a new band I think I can get them to help pay some expenses. They really want to play."

Blue
[/quote]

It's a point of view, but there are others. Some bands put their money where their mouth is, stump up the readies and put on their own show. In the present case, entry is free (so lots of folks will come..?), but if selling tickets on the door, there's no promoter's cut to pay. Some bands like to have control over what goes on. Others just do a night's 'work' and go home. There's many a way to skin a cat. No-one's suggesting getting 'ripped off'. It's a legitimate way of getting started.

Blue & I are of similar age (ok, I'm older....) - interesting replies on this - I think a lot hinges on how much you all want to do this - I've done stuff/bought stuff that I didn't really need, but I kinda liked, and it's usually cost me (too much?) - it depends...just bought a 40year old OrangeMatamp100 at a lot of money, but I wanted it - it's the same thing[i]......[/i]
Whatever your group decision, I wish you well...perhaps you'd be kind enough to update & let us know how this turned out?,
..........and that, at the end of the day is where it's to....

:)

That's usually what these things are about. One guy within these 3 bands has figured out a way to make some money for himself.

Again, sorry for the doom and gloom, but I've been around for a few summers.

Blue

[/quote]

[/quote]

Edited by blue

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1449345456' post='2922833']
Blue & I are of similar age (ok, I'm older....) - interesting replies on this - I think a lot hinges on how much you all want to do this - I've done stuff/bought stuff that I didn't really need, but I kinda liked, and it's usually cost me (too much?) - it depends...just bought a 40year old OrangeMatamp100 at a lot of money, but I wanted it - it's the same thing[i]......[/i]
Whatever your group decision, I wish you well...perhaps you'd be kind enough to update & let us know how this turned out?,
..........and that, at the end of the day is where it's to....

:)
[/quote]

They're a New band, I'm sure they want to do this. However, if your older than me, you know how these things usually turn out.

The band gets screwed.

Blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1449345362' post='2922830']

It's a point of view, but there are others. Some bands put their money where their mouth is, stump up the readies and put on their own show. In the present case, entry is free (so lots of folks will come..?), but if selling tickets on the door, there's no promoter's cut to pay. Some bands like to have control over what goes on. Others just do a night's 'work' and go home. There's many a way to skin a cat. No-one's suggesting getting 'ripped off'. It's a legitimate way of getting started.
[/quote]

Not a bad argument, I see where your coming from.

And it might be a cultural thing. In the USA these sort of things hardly ever work in the bands favor.

Blue

Edited by blue

I'm about as old as any of you, and, back then (I'm a bit passed it, now... :blush: ) often would set up a concert, free entry or not, and had a great time, every time. I can honestly say that I've never, in my long career, with my own groups or working with our eldest's formation, ever been 'screwed'. I don't think I'm just lucky, nor more gullible. I [i]do [/i]think there's some ordinary, decent folks out there who can be trusted (with a bit of common sense, of course...); not [i]everyone [/i]is a charlatan.
I do despair of some here, I really do. If I was a bit more compassionate, I'd feel sorry for some. :(

Back in the day, I did the 'free stuff' route - a lot of it was great fun....I gigged for minimal expenses (or none) & learnt a lot along the way.
I think what did it for me was gigging one Saturday evening for very nominal money & realising that the promoters had got around 400 people in at two quid a pop (this was in 1971), and were also running the bar....btw...... I WAS the 'main' act.........
Sorry to be a cynic, but while I accept the point that not everyone is on the take..........etc etc

:unsure: