Why become a member? ×

When I go to see my next big gig ...

Only thing that is wrong is the way these people manage to get their hands on the tickets in the first place. If it is a ticket the tout has bought of a punter who can no longer go then fine, but when tickets get hoovered up in seconds for a big show you have to wonder from where these guys are sourcing them.

We always used to lowball the first guy we saw, say offering a tenner. If he replied they`re going for twenty we`d just move on. Usually he`d say "well everyones selling them for twenty" we`d reply fine, we`ll give the next guy twenty, but not you. Usually they`d then take the tenner. Some didn`t, but most of the time it worked.

I remember trying to get tickets for the last but one AC/DC gig. Tickets went on sale at 10 o clock. I tried the phone and pc constantly for 45 minutes. When I finally got through, it was sold out. I went on to eBay immediately and there were tickets going for 3/4 hundred quid. I was really cheesed off, I mean these people were beating genuine fans to the tickets, just to make money off them!
We managed to get tickets for the last tour, but I never seen any touts outside. I would have loved to have had the chance to give them some abuse!

Edited by ubit

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1448297094' post='2914240']
I avoid this kind of problem by only seeing really unpopular bands
[/quote]

To be honest, I usually follow this philosophy, but every now and then, the buggers get popular!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1448296382' post='2914231']
We always used to lowball the first guy we saw, say offering a tenner. If he replied they`re going for twenty we`d just move on. Usually he`d say "well everyones selling them for twenty" we`d reply fine, we`ll give the next guy twenty, but not you. Usually they`d then take the tenner. Some didn`t, but most of the time it worked.
[/quote]

Judging by the prices you mention, this would have been in the late 70s, early 80s then? :-)

Edited by SICbass

Funniest one I saw was at Shepherds Bush Tedeschi Trucks Band.
We were outside having a last ciggie before curtain up when Derek Trucks himself strolls round the corner, collar up and hands in pockets.
Up jumps the tout who offers two tickets "cheap at arf the price".
Mr. Trucks looked him straight in the eye, burst out laughing and casually strode up the steps into the Empire.
Oh, how we larfed.
Tout then asked "Who the f**k does he think he is?"
We didn't say a word. :D

Says it all, really!

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1448297314' post='2914244']
To be honest, I usually follow this philosophy, but every now and then, the buggers get popular!
[/quote]

By the time a band gets popular enough for tickets to be expensive/fast selling they are no longer playing the kind of music I want to see/hear.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1448312997' post='2914438']

By the time a band gets popular enough for tickets to be expensive/fast selling they are no longer playing the kind of music I want to see/hear.
[/quote]

How nice for you

[/quote]

I'll remember that when you start playing big shows.

[/quote]

In my youth, I used to think the reverse: since the obscure bands that I liked were so self-evidently awesome, it was only a matter of time before the general public caught up. Since those guys (and girls) are now mostly sexagenarians, I might be persuaded that perhaps they won't be toppling One Direction etc. in the affections of today's teens.

[/quote]

I don't understand this. Are they going to change what they're playing because they've become popular?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1448362602' post='2914693']
I don't understand this. Are they going to change what they're playing because they've become popular?
[/quote]

No IME bands that I like become popular by changing what they play to something I no longer like. I am very much aware that my tastes in music are fairly minority, it doesn't really bother me.

Don't you think popular tastes change? I can think of a couple of bands who've changed their sound to something a bit less original, and become more popular as a result, but then I can also think of music which was only a minority interest at first, but then became more popular. Just like fashion I suppose?

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1448310025' post='2914399']
Funniest one I saw was at Shepherds Bush Tedeschi Trucks Band.
We were outside having a last ciggie before curtain up when Derek Trucks himself strolls round the corner, collar up and hands in pockets.
Up jumps the tout who offers two tickets "cheap at arf the price".
Mr. Trucks looked him straight in the eye, burst out laughing and casually strode up the steps into the Empire.
Oh, how we larfed.
Tout then asked "Who the f**k does he think he is?"
We didn't say a word. :D

Says it all, really!
[/quote]

That's just put a great big grin all over my face. Thanks for that.