Why become a member? ×

Classy fretless,,suggestions

alembic1989

Hi ,
I am looking for a fretless. I want more sustain than you could shake a stick at, a really good growl/mwaah when played using the bridge pick up..and sings like pavarotti. I especially like Kai Ekhardt's sound,he seems to get the bass to sing and growl at the same time..and with bags of sustain. I've heard good things abopout Modulus..but will they do what I am asking..or is the tone from these completely different. I am looking for a 4/5 string.
Can anyone come with some suggestions that won 't break the bank?
Raj

[quote name='artisan' post='281182' date='Sep 10 2008, 03:43 PM']the best sound fretless for me & many other old farts has to be a fender jazz--mwaah to die for.[/quote]

Got a point.... good enough for Jaco... good enough for...

...anyway, what's your budget?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='281187' date='Sep 10 2008, 03:46 PM']Got a point.... good enough for Jaco... good enough for...

...anyway, what's your budget?[/quote]

Yeah I know that fretless tone is "in the fingers"..but if it were as simple as that then we would all be playing planks wouldn't we?..as it would make no difference 'cos "it's in the fingers man" :)
However my budget is £6-700 for a secondhand one.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='281421' date='Sep 10 2008, 09:18 PM']What's your budget?

If you can stretch to it a second hand Pedulla Buzz would be something to consider £600-1000 depending on condition and desperation of the seller.[/quote]
You just beat me to it! Wals are untouchable for fretless but way overpriced right now - if I was shopping in that price range it'd have to be a Pedulla.
Fenders can be lovely but IMO need either an ebony board conversion or a coated board - a really hard board and ultra-low profile nut (phnaar!) are crucial for sustain and a nice articulate sound.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='281442' date='Sep 10 2008, 09:38 PM']You just beat me to it! Wals are untouchable for fretless but way overpriced right now - if I was shopping in that price range it'd have to be a Pedulla.
Fenders can be lovely but IMO need either an ebony board conversion or a coated board - a really hard board and ultra-low profile nut (phnaar!) are crucial for sustain and a nice articulate sound.[/quote]

Hmm.never thought of a pedulla...or even heard one to be honest. But the ones I've seen seem very pricey. The Ibanez looks interesting though.

I am also interested in the crazy and often sexy world of fretless. Be honest though in a rock and pop covers band would one become more of a bit on the side at home. I do like a bit on the side though and it could bring my bass playing/ thinking on? What do people do here? I hope this adds to the original question.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='281421' date='Sep 10 2008, 09:18 PM']What's your budget?

If you can stretch to it a second hand Pedulla Buzz would be something to consider £600-1000 depending on condition and desperation of the seller.

Otherwise what about the Ibanez Gary Willis GW35?[/quote]

[quote name='alembic1989' post='281504' date='Sep 10 2008, 10:58 PM']Hmm.never thought of a pedulla...or even heard one to be honest. But the ones I've seen seem very pricey. The Ibanez looks interesting though.[/quote]

i've played BidRedX's pedulla, its a lovely bass! i would get one right away if i was looking for a fretless! and theres so many options that you have to find a sound you like.

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='281506' date='Sep 10 2008, 11:00 PM']A nice jazz always works, the Squier VMJ fretless is a good option, as it has the hard phelonic board, sounds nice and bright! :)[/quote]

I know it's well below your budget but I bought my Squier VMJ fretless about 6 weeks ago after test driving a few and nothing could match it within a couple of hundred quid, I put flat wounds on it and set it up without any fretboard buzz but then reset to have a tiny bit of buzz - you can really control the amount of MWAH that way.
Suck it and see.
cheers

I'd have to add to the support for the Pedulla. I have a Pentabuzz as many of you know and swear its the best fretless hands down. It takes on a life of its own when you stand next to an amp on stage and let it feedback gently. I really couldn't ask for more sustain or mwah. I have changed the pickups on mine with excellent results though as I felt the barts didn't give enough mid range or clarity. If you can mate yours with some kind of filter based preamp like the AGC or the Alembic Q filter eq (like I have on mine) then you'll be on to a real winner.

In any case whatever fretless you go for, I think the neck ideally should be as stiff as you can find if sustain is important to you.