Why become a member? ×

Moving back to Ashdown, but what model?

pendingrequests

So i have been using the Ampeg Portaflex series for over 4 years now (I think!). Great wee combo and super handy.

However, at times it has never given me the tone I'm after and I have always struggled to get volume. I tried the PF-800 head, but it wasn't worth the extra bucks.

I could get another cab, but after seeing Death Cab for Cutie on Monday and what he runs, I basically want to copy that sound!

So!

Looking at the ABM-600 head and maybe going for the ABM115 EVO and the ABM-210H-Compact. That way depending on the gig/space/car room, I can add/remove a cab if required.

I assume the tonemaster/toneman is the cheaper end of the ashdown range? http://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown_toneman_115_deep.htm

So thoughts/opinions?

In conjunction with this, I had a Ashdown 1x15 combo 'Electric Blue' cab since I was 16 and it is still probably the loudest and best amp I have ever owned. Hence my push to go back to Ashdown.

Not sure about which amp head, although Discreet has just started using an Ashdwon, think the ABM500, and he really rates it. But I`d go for two of the same cab. That way you`ve no need to adjust eqs when only using one, as the sound of a 210 and a 115 is likely to be different - and before people pop up with the old "all speaker sizes sound the same" I mean that the cabs are likely to have been voiced different. With two differently voiced cabs you may only ever get the sound you really like when using both, so will always be disappointed when just using one of them.

If Ashdown don't make the cab you want, I've always found them very helpful and open when it comes to custom orders. EG if you need a 4 ohm 4x10 or something, they will make it for you. Worth a note just in case you don't see the exact cab combination you are after,

I have CTM 100 and ABM 500 heads. The valve tone on the CTM is sublime (plenty loud enough in the context of a noisy band, and surprisingly portable for a tube amp), but I tend toward the ABM for most regular gigs - especially if I don't know the venue, or when backline needs to be moved on/offstage sharpish.

I've tried various combinations of Ashdown cabs. The ABM NEO 210s are hard to beat really - light and very articulate and punchy. Probably just one of the new 1000w sealed versions would do the trick.

Just got hold of a Rootmaster 800 - great little head. I was upgrading from an Ampeg SVT-7 after its notorious reliability issues reared their ugly heads and it died on me mid-gig. I got the Ampeg fixed, but the RM-800 just sounds better to my ears. The EQ voicing is just a little more musical, somehow, plus having the built-in compression, fuzz and octaver is handy (especially the compressor). No issues with it as of yet, although it's only got a few gigs under its belt so far and, unlike the Ampeg, I haven't heard any scare stories.

Definitely worth giving one a try.