Why become a member? ×

Why can't I sing?

Dandelion

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1447337455' post='2906832']
how do you shape your voice from boring (but in tune) to "grabbing"? Or does this just have to come naturally?
[/quote]

Breath control, mouthing, elocution, practise, coaching, time (and, on option, a smattering of talent helps...). It's not any great secret, but needs solid hard work. There are many that do voice emulation of either personalities or singers, by hard work, too. I'd not say that absolutely [i]anyone [/i]can do it, but most people could, if they put the time and effort in (and really want to, of course...). There are excellent choirs up and down the country; ask there as a first step, I'd suggest.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1447337455' post='2906832']
how do you shape your voice from boring (but in tune) to "grabbing"? Or does this just have to come naturally?
[/quote]

You can't..you either have or you don't.

I'm racking my brains and singers round here range from 'not any cop at all, can hold a tune, good voice, great voice and stunning and
on the local circuit there is only one that I know which grabs you and makes you turn when she sings.

I've actually heard her do 'Whitney Houston's version of 'I will always love you' with no accompianment when she was 14... I think she could develop her voice with some training and coaching...as most could, but it depends from what point you start. She is already very very good naturally, even if she doesn't know much yet...
She just has 'it' IMO.

Some voices just seem naturally sweet and toneful , that is nice , but add that to the ability of hitting the right notes as well , and it is truly an art .
Alas, while I am sure that with enough practice I can get quite close to the notes , my timbre sounds thin , weak and hard to listen to. A good folk BV drone is about all I am good for :(

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1447365482' post='2907183']...A good folk BV drone is about all I am good for :(
[/quote]

I agree. :mellow:

:lol: :P

Disclaimer: Posted merely for comic effect; Lurks has a fine singing voice, the like of which I'd be proud to ... Well, not [i]that [/i]good, but certainly not rubbish, anyway. ;)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1447366272' post='2907193']
I agree. :mellow:

:lol: :P

[/quote]

Thanks Douglas :D
[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1447366953' post='2907202']
............................ Look at Jimi Hendrix or Bob Dylan. They got away with rubbish voices. It's all about projecting what you have.
[/quote]

I am with you on that , Bob Dylan particularly , an awful noise , but no-one seemed to notice , an inspiration to me at least :lol:

Read this topic with interest.......

I can sing well enough , i can play guitar and sing well too...... But I can't for the life of me play bass and sing !!!!
I have a great admiration for anyone who can ???
I can play bass well, I can sing well, but if I try to do the two things at the same time it all falls on its arse big time ! Hahaha

Any tips here are welcomed ? Any particular approaching to practice such as particular songs that the voc melody follows the bass ? Dunno, any advice welcomed !

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1447366953' post='2907202']
Look at Jimi Hendrix or Bob Dylan. They got away with rubbish voices. It's all about projecting what you have.
[/quote]
Or Bon Scott, by no means a technically great singer but used inflection well. He was sleazy in a song like "Can I sit next to you, girl?" and menacing in a song like "Dirty Deeds"

[quote name='rjs1909' timestamp='1447550280' post='2908536']

Or Bon Scott, by no means a technically great singer but used inflection well. He was sleazy in a song like "Can I sit next to you, girl?" and menacing in a song like "Dirty Deeds"
[/quote]

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. I think Bons voice is great. He had amazing range and the best of all, his voice was unique

The tricky part is putting the easy bit on autopilot when you are approaching a hard part on the OTHER discipline.

If there is a relatively difficult bass bit in a song, you have to get the accompanying vocal for just that bit absolutely down pat, so for that moment you can concentrate 99% on getting the bass bit right.
And vice versa, of course.
Nobody is claiming it is easy. I read an interview somewhere with Mark King where he said that the only reason he played the way he did was because it was the only way he could sing and play bass at the same time & still keep in time with both!

My mate, the guitarist, always annoys me when we learn a new song musically. He's like, ok, let's do it, and I'm all, wait a minute, I haven't learnt the singing yet. I need to be totally relaxed about both parts before being happy enough to perform !

Ive tried it loads, its just falls to peices! I can do it effortlessly when playing guitar (rhythm that is) so it must be the left hand part of bass playing.... I will set out to practice one song and REALLY focus to see if i can overcome this mental/ physical block!

Studio, we have lots if great bv's that i just cant do live !

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1447564958' post='2908545']
Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. I think Bons voice is great. He had amazing range and the best of all, his voice was unique
[/quote]

I love Bon's singing but he is not a technically great singer like Freddie Mercury was (for example) but what he did do was bring charisma, wit and charm to his vocals that very few have been able to do

Edited by rjs1909

It has always been my lifelong dream to sing. I took a few lessons later in life and discovered that you can learn to do it and if you practice every day then you improve. I started too late unfortunately but I would encourage every musician to learn. I sing on my recordings but can t see me singing live. There are lots of good books but one to one lessons are best even with a classical teacher. I would suggest that at first you should not play an instrument and sing at the same time.